screen saver vs turn off monitor setting for LCD monitor

Old December 7th 03, 02:03 AM
dave

Default screen saver vs turn off monitor setting for LCD monitor

I have a Samsung 17 " SyncMaster 174v monitor. Even with a very low
brightness level when I use a blank screen screensaver setting, when the
computer goes into screensaver mode, there is a very noticeable glow on the
screen. By comparison if I use the turn off monitor setting and set it for a
short time like 1 or 2 minutes when it turns off, the screen goes completely
black with no visible glow at all. Is it therefore better to use the turn
off monitor setting after a minute or two rather than using the screensaver
with blank screen setting for the same time interval ? Is the some kind of
strain on the monitor when using the turn off monitor setting. By contrast
is there some kind screen burning/dulling by the persistant glow when using
the blank screen screensaver setting ?

Old December 7th 03, 02:12 AM
John McGaw

"dave" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

If the monitor is merely going black, vs. powering down you are wearing out
the most vulnerable portion of the monitor -- the backlight. I would
certainly use the power down function. But I wouldn't do it with a 1 or 2
minute timout since that will result (at least it would on any of my
computers) in repeated startups at short intervals which seem more likely to
be damaging to the lamps and inverters which drive them. Shutting down after
maybe 15-30 minutes seems more reasonable to me.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old December 7th 03, 05:45 PM
dave

Thanks ! If I understand correctly, you mean I should use:

Display properties
Screen Saver:
None
Power Option Properties
Power Schemes
Turn Off Monitor fter 15-30 Mins

"John McGaw" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old December 7th 03, 08:47 PM
John McGaw

"dave" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks ! If I understand correctly, you mean I should use:

Display properties
Screen Saver:
None
Power Option Properties
Power Schemes
Turn Off Monitor fter 15-30 Mins

Yes. That should do it. Or, if you wanted to have the screen blanked earlier
for some reason (to avoid snoopers?) but wanted to avoid too-frequent power
cycling you could set the screensaver to blank the screen in a shorter time
and use the "Turn Off Monitor" power setting to actually turn if off after a
suitably longer wait.