Help: Mobo Advice for 1Ghz CPU

Old September 15th 04, 11:38 PM
Darren Harris

Default Help: Mobo Advice for 1Ghz CPU

I need to build a system that can handle a lot of ram.

I have a socket 370 motherboard with a 1Ghz CPU attached, but since
the motherboard only supports up to 512mb of ram, can I get
recommendations for another motherboard to get?(I'll be working a lot
with a ram-disk).

I'll just use the 1Ghz processor and toss the present
board(http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN810EP/IN810ep.htm).

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten ISland, New York.

Old September 16th 04, 03:20 AM
Eric Gross

If you're looking to do it a fairly cheap way, I'd go for a board with a VIA
Apollo Pro 133A chipset. It supports the 133Mhz bus which your 1Ghz
processor probably uses (assuming its not a celeron, which runs at 100Mhz).
The only Intel-made chipsets for socket 370 systems that supports a 133Mhz
bus and over 512MB of RAM uses RDRAM, which is a bit too pricey to think
about for a large amount of RAM. If it is in fact a celeron, you may be able
to get by with an Intel BX-based board (with either native FC-PGA support or
with an small adapter). The BX chipset can accept more than 512MB of RAM,
but it will only take the lower density chips so putting in 512MB modules
becomes very pricey.

The Apollo Pro 133a boards can take the 64x64 high-density PC133 modules
that are much cheaper per MB than the normal lower-density ones. You can get
512MB modules like this for around $30 each if you search pricewatch. You
should be able to put 1GB easily in, maybe more. To get much more than that
you'd probably need to step up to a more server-class board with a
server-level chipset that takes registered RAM.

Hope this helps,
-Eric Gross

om...

Old September 16th 04, 10:30 AM
kony

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:20:15 -0400, "Eric Gross"
wrote:

If you're looking to do it a fairly cheap way, I'd go for a board with a VIA
Apollo Pro 133A chipset. It supports the 133Mhz bus which your 1Ghz
processor probably uses (assuming its not a celeron, which runs at 100Mhz).
The only Intel-made chipsets for socket 370 systems that supports a 133Mhz
bus and over 512MB of RAM uses RDRAM, which is a bit too pricey to think
about for a large amount of RAM. If it is in fact a celeron, you may be able
to get by with an Intel BX-based board (with either native FC-PGA support or
with an small adapter). The BX chipset can accept more than 512MB of RAM,
but it will only take the lower density chips so putting in 512MB modules
becomes very pricey.

BX does not support 512MB modules, IIRC, 256MB per.

The Apollo Pro 133a boards can take the 64x64 high-density PC133 modules
that are much cheaper per MB than the normal lower-density ones. You can get
512MB modules like this for around $30 each if you search pricewatch. You
should be able to put 1GB easily in, maybe more. To get much more than that
you'd probably need to step up to a more server-class board with a
server-level chipset that takes registered RAM.

Apollo Pro 133A or 133T are good choices, the 133T if only
because it's the newer generation, best odds of most
refined/mature board and of supporting 48bit LBA. $30
pricewatch modules might be a problem though if trying to
max out the board, often when using more than 2 of the cheap
512MB modules I found that era of board to be instable,
unless higher-grade memory was used instead. That's not to
say that can't work, but if modules are bought from somplace
with poor return policy as often found on pricewatch, it
could be a real PITA to get modules that work OK alone,
replaced because they won't work with 2 or more identical
modules used. LOL, some of the companies on pricewatch
might send a 64MB dimm and still it's a PITA to get them to
just replace and send what was ordered or get a refund.

Another potential issue is that a few of the boards from
that era (actually more than just a few, many of them) had
the "potentially" defective capacitors in 'em, labeled as
Lelon, Luxon, Tayeh, Jackcon, I.Q, JPCON, Chhsi, et al.

Old September 16th 04, 12:28 PM
WayneM

Darren,

I have an FIC FR33 mainboard with 2x512 Crucial sticks, which is the max for
the board, and a Celeron 1000. This has been working flawlessly for about 3
years. I'm in the process of assembling components for a new P4 build.

If you're interested, maybe we can work something out.

Old September 16th 04, 01:29 PM
Eric Gross

"kony" wrote in message
BX does not support 512MB modules, IIRC, 256MB per.

I don't think that's true. As long as you get modules made with the lower
density chips (I believe you'd need a 512MB module with 16 chips per side;
so a double-row module), it should work correctly.

-Eric Gross

Old September 17th 04, 01:59 AM
David Maynard

Eric Gross wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
=20
BX does not support 512MB modules, IIRC, 256MB per.

=20
=20
I don't think that's true. As long as you get modules made with the low=

er
density chips (I believe you'd need a 512MB module with 16 chips per si=

de;
so a double-row module), it should work correctly.
=20
-Eric Gross
=20
=20

From the data sheet

=95 DRAM type: Extended Data Out (EDO) (mobile only) or Synchronous (SDRA=
M)=20
DRAM controller optimized for dual/quad-bank SDRAM organization on a row =
by=20
row basis
=95 Memory Size: 8 MB to 512 MB (1GB with Registered DIMMs) with eight me=
mory=20
rows
=95 Addressing Type: Symmetrical and Asymmetrical addressing
=95 Memory Modules supported: Single and double density 3.3V DIMMs
=95 DRAM device technology: 16 Mbit and 64 Mbit

It's more complicated than the 'simple' specs though. You have to turn to=
=20
the design guides.

"The 82443BX when configured with 3 double-sided DIMMs using 64Mbit=20
technology (using x8 devices) may have a total memory size of 384MB. In=20
order to achieve 512MB while using the same type of devices, a fourth DIM=
M=20
socket must be added which adds extra DQ loading. In order to offset the =

heavy loading on the DQ lines, a FET switch mux is recommended to reduce =

the loading for memory driving the 82443BX, and vice versa."

Most SOHO main boards, at least originally, implemented the 3 DIMM, 384=20
Meg, design.

"Workstation and server designs face yet another problem in that 1Gbyte=20
memory configurations are a mandatory requirement for their customers. In=
=20
order to build 256Mbyte DIMMs using present day technology, x4 SDRAM=20
devices must be used. The loading on the control lines (MA/Bxx, CS#, DQM,=
=20
CK, etc.) are now twice the loading of a x8 device. A DIMM which=20
registers=94 these control lines must be produced in order to meet 100 MH=
z=20
timings (note that a PLL must be added to the registered DIMM and the=20
additional PLL jitter must be factored into the overall timing analysis).=
"

'Present day' is 1998, in that context. To which an interesting note:

"Intel is also working with DRAM industry leaders to pull in their=20
schedules of 128Mbit technology in order to achieve a 256MB DIMM solution=
=2E=20
In addition to this, improvements and standardization of DIMM topologies =

are in progress in order to add back margin to the overall timing budget.=
"

The upshot is, BX was not designed with 512MB memory modules in mind and,=
=20
indeed, even 256meg modules weren't available. The signal lines just aren=
't=20
there to plug 512MB modules into the DIMM slots.

Old September 17th 04, 01:54 PM
Darren Harris

How much is a lot?

As much as possible.

I just need some mobo recommendations.(Perhaps I can pick up one from Ebay).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old September 19th 04, 11:10 PM
Darren Harris

Thanks a lot.

I checked Asus, and the info on their motherboards with Via 694X or
694T chipsets is difficult to find. Obviously they are more concerned
with their more recent mobos.

I just won an ASUS CUV4X R1.03
Motherboard(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6708521661).
It seems to have integrated audio, and I guess I can use my old video
card.

I can only assume that 1.5Gb is the maximum capacity for memory that
I'll find for one of these Pentium 3(socket 370) motherboards.

Anyway, I guess that the trick now is getting three 512mb modules that
will actually work with it.

Thanks again.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Mobo advice Ricky Romaya General 2 December 19th 04 10:12 PM
Advice on setting a GF4 TI 4200 on an old mobo Bolooser11 Homebuilt PC's 5 February 17th 04 09:34 PM
Seeking Mobo Advice from Those Who Know Zulu Overclocking 3 February 12th 04 12:47 PM
advice on mobo for office pc kony General 0 February 3rd 04 08:16 PM
Advice on flashing a MoBo Witchsmeller Homebuilt PC's 10 January 24th 04 01:54 AM