Computer shuts down + alarm

Old September 7th 04, 11:06 PM
Disarmer

Default Computer shuts down + alarm

Man I hope someone can help me with this!

A couple of weeks my the computer suddenly shut down and started to
make a pretty high sound. The sound comes from the front of the case,
from the case speaker. The sound doesn't stop until I cut the power
on the back of the case. After this happened the first time I cut the
power and waited a few minutes and then turned on the power again.
After that everything worked fine until the next day then the same
thing happened again. After the second time the computer's been
working fine about two weeks, until today. It happened like before,
only this time I couldn't start the computer again. Now the computer
turns of in the middle of booting. Sometimes I get so far so that
windows start to boot, sometimes it takes about 5 seconds before the
computer shuts down.

The thing I find strange is that the case continue to make the sound
even after the computer has shut down. I actually have to cut the
power completely before it stops. The sound is hard to describe, but
it hasn't the same soundstrength all the time. It's like an
alarm-sound with intervalls of noice and is pretty high in strength.
I haven't changed my system for a while and I haven't had any other
problems at all. I've got the whole cooling thing down so shouldn't
be that the system is to hot.

My specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Two 256mb DDR RAM PC2700
Geforce TI-4600 128mb
Western digital caviar 80mb IDE
Abit NF7-S motherboard

==============
Old September 8th 04, 12:02 AM
Dave C.

"Disarmer" wrote
in message ...
[...]

It's probably a bad power supply. Computer rebooting or shutting down in
the middle of windows booting (or just as windows STARTS to boot) is a
classic sign of a failing power supply. Your other symptoms could easily be
caused by bad power supply, also. -Dave

Old September 8th 04, 12:05 AM
GTS

"Disarmer" wrote
in message ...
[...]

It certainly sounds like the CPU overheat alarm - some BIOS allow you to
change the temperature at which it triggers, and some do indeed shut down
the PC if the temperature gets too high. As your symptoms have been
worsening are you absolutely sure the CPU fan is spinning at full speed - it
has'nt become clogged with dust, or been getting noisy? As you are now
shutting down so quickly, is it even spinning at all?

Old September 8th 04, 01:37 AM
David Maynard

Disarmer wrote:
[...]

Let's see. It makes an alarm like sound.

Here's a thought: how about checking your manual for what alarms it has and
what causes them?

Old September 8th 04, 04:05 PM
Tool

I would imagine you're motherboard is going bad. I had the exact same
problem but no sound before, and it was parse, like what you're
seeing, then every now and then it happens again. Same exact thing,
eventually, it won't even boot if its the same problem I had. If you
can, I know its alot of work, but try swapping out the mobo for
something else and see if you can even get it to happen.