GeForce4 Ti4600 Good Card at $145?

Old November 26th 03, 05:22 PM
Pack Fan

Default GeForce4 Ti4600 Good Card at $145?

Any of you video card experts consider this a good deal for someone not
looking for the bleeding edge?

GeForce4 Ti4600 for $145

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...TgxiCdAkoYxXA7

Old November 26th 03, 11:02 PM
Tweek

Spend $20 more and get yourself a Radeon 9600XT, much better filtering and
anti-aliasing performance.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ue=5026,366 8

Old November 27th 03, 12:02 AM
DaveW

It's a good card (I use one!), but it's not DX9 compatible, which the newer
games require.

--
DaveW

Old November 27th 03, 01:15 AM
)-()-(

Pack Fan wrote:

Any of you video card experts consider this a good deal for someone not
looking for the bleeding edge?

GeForce4 Ti4600 for $145

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...TgxiCdAkoYxXA7

I would buy a 9600.
I have a 4200.

Old November 27th 03, 07:34 AM
Sooky Grumper

DaveW wrote:
It's a good card (I use one!), but it's not DX9 compatible, which the newer
games require.

I've heard the terms "compatible" and "Compliant"...anyone know the
difference in terms of computing, such as the example from the previous
post? I've seen these terms used in thumb drive descriptions when it
comes to USB 2.0...

Old November 27th 03, 10:54 AM
Sooky Grumper

Michael Cecil wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:34:22 +0800, Sooky Grumper
wrote:

DaveW wrote:

It's a good card (I use one!), but it's not DX9 compatible, which the newer
games require.

I've heard the terms "compatible" and "Compliant"...anyone know the
difference in terms of computing, such as the example from the previous
post? I've seen these terms used in thumb drive descriptions when it
comes to USB 2.0...

I'd say compatible means "won't crash when used with" while compliant
means "has been tested to work with".

$145 for a GF4 card seems very expensive to me when you consider you
can get a low end GF5 or Radeon that is DX9 compatible for that much.

Remember, though, that low end FX cards run slower than the higher end
Ti cards.

Old November 27th 03, 11:20 AM
LeeB18509

wrote:

DaveW wrote:

It's a good card (I use one!), but it's not DX9 compatible, which the

newer
games require.

I've heard the terms "compatible" and "Compliant"...anyone know the
difference in terms of computing, such as the example from the previous
post? I've seen these terms used in thumb drive descriptions when it
comes to USB 2.0...

I'd say compatible means "won't crash when used with" while compliant
means "has been tested to work with".

$145 for a GF4 card seems very expensive to me when you consider you
can get a low end GF5 or Radeon that is DX9 compatible for that much.

Remember, though, that low end FX cards run slower than the higher end
Ti cards.

--

That's why the only decent choice is an ATI card....

Old November 27th 03, 01:50 PM
Sooky Grumper

wrote:

DaveW wrote:

It's a good card (I use one!), but it's not DX9 compatible, which the

newer

games require.

I've heard the terms "compatible" and "Compliant"...anyone know the
difference in terms of computing, such as the example from the previous
post? I've seen these terms used in thumb drive descriptions when it
comes to USB 2.0...

I'd say compatible means "won't crash when used with" while compliant
means "has been tested to work with".

$145 for a GF4 card seems very expensive to me when you consider you
can get a low end GF5 or Radeon that is DX9 compatible for that much.

Remember, though, that low end FX cards run slower than the higher end
Ti cards.

--

That's why the only decent choice is an ATI card....

Not if you use linux...

Old November 27th 03, 02:04 PM
Pack Fan

wrote:

DaveW wrote:

It's a good card (I use one!), but it's not DX9 compatible, which the

newer
games require.

I've heard the terms "compatible" and "Compliant"...anyone know the
difference in terms of computing, such as the example from the previous
post? I've seen these terms used in thumb drive descriptions when it
comes to USB 2.0...

I'd say compatible means "won't crash when used with" while compliant
means "has been tested to work with".

$145 for a GF4 card seems very expensive to me when you consider you
can get a low end GF5 or Radeon that is DX9 compatible for that much.

Remember, though, that low end FX cards run slower than the higher end
Ti cards.

Well, I'm hoping this is true. I bought the GF4 card on impulse. Probably
should've waited. In any event, this is for a workstation, not a gaming
system.

Also, I do love dual monitor systems and currently have two. While I wasn't
planning on making this a dual monitor system, it may well turn out that
way.