Wrong temperature readings

Old July 20th 04, 10:05 PM
Gil-galad

Default Wrong temperature readings

Hi,

I have a 2500+ Barton at stock settings on a Gigabyte GA 7VT880 Motherboard.

The problem is, I don't know if my CPU is running too hot because I don't
know what the exact load temperature is. With Prime 95 the highest
temperature reported by EasyTune4 (whose temperatures are the same of the
BIOS) is 55°C.
MBM5 and other utilities say that the highest temperature with Prime 95 is
60°C.

It's very important for me to know which temperature to trust because I'd
like to overclock my Processor but I will do it only if I know the right
tmperatures.

I have the feeling that the temperatures reported by the utilities like MBM5
are right, and they are high because the Gigabyte Boards report temperatures
higer than the real value by about 10 °C.

But what about the Bios?? Is the Bios reading wrong temps? Is it possible
that the Bios reads the temperature from the socket sensor and MBM5 directly
from the on DIE sensor? The motivation for this could be the fact that the
MBM5 temps rise very quickly when Prime95 is started, and sink quickly when
it's stopped. At the contrary, the temps read by EasyTune4 sink much slower,
perhaps because it reads the temperature of the air trapped under the CPU
which logically takes more time to cool down. What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Old July 20th 04, 11:21 PM
Sonic

When in doubt, go for the highest .....

--
BOINC Team -
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team...?teamid=112938

Old July 21st 04, 07:44 AM
Michael Brown

Gil-galad wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2500+ Barton at stock settings on a Gigabyte GA 7VT880
Motherboard.

The problem is, I don't know if my CPU is running too hot because I
don't know what the exact load temperature is. With Prime 95 the
highest temperature reported by EasyTune4 (whose temperatures are the
same of the BIOS) is 55°C.
MBM5 and other utilities say that the highest temperature with Prime
95 is 60°C.

It's very important for me to know which temperature to trust because
I'd like to overclock my Processor but I will do it only if I know
the right tmperatures.

Temperature readings on motherboards are only good for relative comparisons
in your system. Did moving a particular fan increase or decrease
temperatures? As fas as determining whether your CPU is "too hot" or not,
they're next to useless with (1st-hand experienced) variations of 20 deg C
between boards. Generally, if it's stable under Prime95, then it's not too
hot unless you're running an insane voltage. You can, with a great deal of
effort, calibrate the sensor. But it's usually not worth it.

In general, anything under 70 deg C is fine as far as damaging-the-CPU goes.
Much over 70 and I'd start to worry, given that the board is quite possibly
reading 10 or 15 deg C too low, and the maximum temperature for desktop AMD
CPUs is 85 deg C. Of course, the lower the better (though if someone gets
a lower temperature than you, it doesn't really mean anything).

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more