Prescott P4 2.80E CPU Running at 76 Celcius

Old April 6th 04, 04:34 AM
Brian

Default Prescott P4 2.80E CPU Running at 76 Celcius

Hi,

I haven't even tried overclocking this CPU yet as at stock
standard settings it seems to be far too hot to start with.

I am running a Prescott CPU on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard
using the latest BIOS 1016, CPU is a 2.80E, running at 2800Mhz,
using the 800Mhz FSB with Dual 3200 DDR. The CPU is mounted
with the stock Intel heatsink/fan and thermal tape.
Most BIOS settings are either "Standard" or "Auto" and HT enabled.

I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?

My room temp is about 28C, and using Motherboard Monitor 5,
on startup the case temp is about 35C and the CPU 64C, the CPU
temp dropped shortly after to around 52C. The core voltage is
between 1.32v - 1.38v but usually closer to 1.32v so the max
of 1.4v is not being exceeded to create extra heat.

At idle the case temp averages 35-40C and CPU 50-55C.
On Win2000, running only Seti, the case is 41-45C and CPU 73-76C.
Usual CPU fan speed varies between 2800-3100.
These temps are with the left side case panel removed.
A Seti unit took 3hrs 45mins so the CPU appears to run OK.

If I replace the side panel the slight increase in heat causes
the CPU fan to rise to 5200+ and the noise drives me nuts :-)

Is this too hot for this CPU?
Does anyone else have experience with this CPU etc?

Brian

Old April 6th 04, 04:51 AM
Phil Weldon

A CPU temperature of 76 degrees C is higher that the maximum operating
temperature for the Pentium 4 2.8E; it is probably throttled down because of
the excessive temperature.

The very high temperature at idle (since you are using Windows 2000)
indicates that the heatsink is incorrectly installed. With Windows 2000,
the CPU temperature at idle should usually be a bit cooler than the
motherboard, or not very much above the air temperature inside the case.

On the other hand, the fact that your CPU fan is not running full out with
the case side off indicates that you may not be reading the correct CPU
temperature; certainly the CPU fan SHOULD be running full out if the CPU
temperature really were in the 70 degree C range.

I'd guess that your idle CPU temperature is about 10 degrees high and the
SETI@home CPU temperature is 15 or 20 degrees C too high. There programs
that load the CPU more than SETI@home, so something is seriously wrong with
your heatsink installation, your temperature monitoring, or both.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old April 6th 04, 05:10 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Brian" wrote
snip
I haven't even tried overclocking this CPU yet as at stock
standard settings it seems to be far too hot to start with.

I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
under some load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?

Hi.
F*cking hell! that's RIDICULOUS!
Are you sure your sensor is working properly, and that the HSF is mounted
correctly?
--
Wayne ][
Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!

Old April 6th 04, 05:57 AM
Brian

Hi Phil,

[...]

Well you were spot on there.
The plastic clamp holding the heatsink down was disengaged at the
top corner just below the Power Supply.

Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

Now that looks a lot better :-)

That has taught me a valuable lesson though...I think I need glasses
as I had checked that several times including all the BIOS settings etc
but the HS looked OK. With you being so sure it had to be the HS I
had a very good look and even missed it again the first time!

That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
to prevent damage at that temp?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Brian
Old April 6th 04, 06:17 AM
S.Heenan

Brian wrote:
snip
Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
to prevent damage at that temp?

Run SETI at Home all night and see if it or the OS crashes. It's very likely
unharmed.

Old April 6th 04, 08:19 AM
Brian

S.Heenan wrote:

Brian wrote:
snip

Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

That CPU has been running like that for about 3 weeks so do you think
that would have caused any damage or does it throttle down enough
to prevent damage at that temp?

Run SETI at Home all night and see if it or the OS crashes. It's very likely
unharmed.

Yes I will, but mind you it has been running for the last 3 weeks
at that temp without crashing and that includes running Seti etc :-)

Brian

Old April 6th 04, 08:54 AM
ElJerid

"Brian" wrote in message
Hi Phil,

[...]

I think your temps are still too high. I have the same config (P4P800 + P4 /
800 2.8 Ghz + 2 x 512 MB Corsair PC3700 + Radeon 9800 Pro) and with a room
temp of 20°C I have temp reports (Asus Probe) in idle mode of 27°C for the
CPU and 29°C for the motherboard. The temps raise up to a max of 40°C (cpu)
and 37°C (mobo) in stressed mode (video rendering, flight sims).
I suspect that after checking your cooling, you did not replace the thermal
tape on the cpu. This tape is a "single use" item and MUST be renieuwed
after dismounting. You'd better however use silver based thermal paste like
Artic Silver (after in-depth cleaning of the contact surfaces).

Old April 6th 04, 09:47 AM
Brian

Hi ElJerid,

ElJerid wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message

Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

I think your temps are still too high. I have the same config (P4P800 + P4 /
800 2.8 Ghz + 2 x 512 MB Corsair PC3700 + Radeon 9800 Pro) and with a room
temp of 20°C I have temp reports (Asus Probe) in idle mode of 27°C for the
CPU and 29°C for the motherboard. The temps raise up to a max of 40°C (cpu)
and 37°C (mobo) in stressed mode (video rendering, flight sims).

Is yours the Prescott CPU 2.80E or the Northwood CPU 2.80C?

As I know the Prescotts run hotter than the Northwoods but
by how much I don't know. If yours is the Northwood then I
suppose I could allow 5C for the higher room temp and another
5C for the CPU running hotter?
That could explain the 10C or so difference.

I suspect that after checking your cooling, you did not replace the thermal
tape on the cpu. This tape is a "single use" item and MUST be renieuwed
after dismounting. You'd better however use silver based thermal paste like
Artic Silver (after in-depth cleaning of the contact surfaces).

I didn't actually remove the HS I just pushed it on properly
as it was sitting so I suppose it was the first real contact
that the tape had. However, when I get some new paste I will
remove the HS etc clean it and repaste it.

Just as a further comparison, this PC that I am using now is a P3 1Ghz,
on a Gigabyte GA-6BXE and it is running with a case temp of 50C and CPU 42C,
whilst running Seti.
The other PC is case 44C and CPU 52C and is also running Seti.
This room is still 28C.

Brian
Old April 6th 04, 11:54 AM
Phil Weldon

If you subtract 8 degrees C from all of Brian's temperatures (as you
should, to compare his temperatures to yours,since his room temperature is
8 degrees C higher than your room temperature), the SETI@home motherboard
and CPU temperatures are now the equivalent of 37 degrees C and 46 degrees
C, which, with a Prescott, likely indicates a problem with case
ventilation rather than with the heatsink installation.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,
replace "at" with the 'at sign'
replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
replace "dot" with "."

"ElJerid" wrote in message

Hi Phil,

/

Old April 6th 04, 12:04 PM
David Maynard

Brian wrote:

Hi ElJerid,
=20
ElJerid wrote:
=20
"Brian" wrote in message
=

orks.com.au...=20

=20
=20
Now on startup I have case 40C and CPU 44C
With Seti the case 45C and CPU 54C
Fan speed is still about the same, currently 3000.

=20
I think your temps are still too high. I have the same config (P4P800 =

+ P4 /
800 2.8 Ghz + 2 x 512 MB Corsair PC3700 + Radeon 9800 Pro) and with a =

room
temp of 20=B0C I have temp reports (Asus Probe) in idle mode of 27=B0C=

for=20
the
CPU and 29=B0C for the motherboard. The temps raise up to a max of 40=B0=

C=20
(cpu)
and 37=B0C (mobo) in stressed mode (video rendering, flight sims).

=20
=20
Is yours the Prescott CPU 2.80E or the Northwood CPU 2.80C?
=20
As I know the Prescotts run hotter than the Northwoods but
by how much I don't know. If yours is the Northwood then I
suppose I could allow 5C for the higher room temp and another
5C for the CPU running hotter?
That could explain the 10C or so difference.

Room temp accounts for 8C alone and case ventilation could make the=20
remaining 2C without cough breaking a sweat (plus measurement errors, n=
ot=20
to mention 'room temp' measured where?).

I suspect that after checking your cooling, you did not replace the=20
[...]

If those really are case temps then your case cooling isn't very good as =

it's not all that hard to get in the 6-8C case temp rise range with decen=
t=20
case fans. e.g. your case temp shouldn't be going over 36C with a 28C=20
ambient and 'good' ventilation.

However, those are likely motherboard temps and not case temp.

The other question is whether your CPU temps are under the socket temps o=
r=20
processor diode temps. According to the Gigabyte specs, that CPU temp is =
a=20
heatsink probe, which is not processor die temp. I don't know about the=20
prescott. Diode temp is higher than either (processor) case or heatsink=20
temp due to the thermal drop across the CPU to heatspreader interface and=
=20
then the thermal spreader to heatsink. The point being that one needs to =

know what's being measured as a heatsink probe will give a lower reading =

and the processor diode will give a higher one for the same conditions.=20
Then one needs to know what the spec is. For the P-III, the spec'd temp i=
s=20
die temp, but you're measuring the heatsink, and the Prescott temp spec i=
s=20
processor case, but you might be measuring the processor diode.

To give an example for illustrative purposes only, as it's a completely=20
different processor and thermal solution, my Athlon mobile 2400+=20
overclocked to 3400+ has both processor diode and under the socket therma=
l=20
monitoring and the differential under load is about 8C (higher core temp,=
=20
of course).

One can't make a proper evaluation without the 'real' numbers but, assumi=
ng=20
all the engineers who designed the devices you're using did the 'typical'=
=20
thing and that nothing is defective, your temps look to be in the 'normal=
'=20
range for a 'stock' set-up.

=20
Brian