linux 64bit OS again

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 7th 04, 11:07 PM
Don McCarter

Default linux 64bit OS again

If anyone is interested in a 64bit OS this one works for me.

I installed Fedora Core2 on my AMD64 machine, with a little tweaking.
The FC2 programs harddrive format messed up the
drive so I had to reformat and reinstall WinXP64.
I then booted to a Fedora Core1 disk and ran the install
until the HD was formatted.
I stopped the process, rebooted with Fedora Core2
and did a "Linux nousbstorage" install.
When I got to the format step I selected manual and
edited the "/boot" and "/" areas.
The rest of the install ran smoothly.
I now have a 64bit system running mostly x86_64 programs.

I am using the AMD64 3200 CPU, with a MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R MB
and an ATI 9600 pro video card.

Everything works except my Winfast TV system.
I had previously tried Gentoo 2004.1, Mandrake AMD64 rc1
and Suse 9.0. for AMD64.
Suse ran OK but most of the programs appeared to be 32bit.
Gentoo worked OK for a short while then I would get
a corrupt file system error.
Mandrake likewise ran ok for several bootups then it gave
a "kernel panic" error.