5070 will not boot...at all

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 11th 03, 12:04 PM
RedWingFan

Default 5070 will not boot...at all

My wife has a Presario 5070. Running Win98se. She said she had been
having trouble with it returning from standby. So much so she had
that box pop up askeing her since she had so much trouble returning
from standby did she want to prevent it from going into standby again.
She said no. Anyway, she turned off the computer the other day and
ried to turn it back on and nothing happened as fas as loading
anything. I can see it checking for the cd-drives and hear the hard
drive clicking at the very beginning, but that is it. The monitor
does not come on. When I turn the computer on, I can hear the monitor
come to life but no display and the light stays orange(Model#mv500).

I have tried several different things. I hooked my computer up to the
monitor and it does come on and can see everything. So I dont think
it is the monitor. Also the busy light and the "sun" light on the
computer stay on. No noise from the hard drive or anything. Thinking
it may be the hard drive, I installed it into my computer and I can
access it just fine. I tried taking the battery out for about 30 min
and rebooting and nothing. I tried to boot with the quick restore
disk in and again nothing....

I am going to see what happenes when I boot without the Hard drive and
see what happens....If it still does not do anything is the
motherboard fried? Also my wife really does not like change so if it
is the motherboard, with compaq being so proprietary(spelling?) is
there anything I can do, like buy a new motherboard or can I even do
that anyore with it being so old. Please help me!!!!!

Thank you very much.
RWF