A64 laptop suggestions please

Old June 6th 04, 05:14 PM
Bx.Cornwell

Default A64 laptop suggestions please

anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
specs (including video chipset) / comments

thanks in advance,
Bx.C

Old June 6th 04, 10:09 PM

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
specs (including video chipset) / comments

Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

Old June 6th 04, 11:45 PM
Ben Pope

K wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
specs (including video chipset) / comments

Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.

Ben

Old June 7th 04, 12:38 AM
Bx.Cornwell

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
K wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /

basic
specs (including video chipset) / comments

Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.

centrino isn't amd64...

the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only option
for AMD64 notebooks / tablets

Old June 7th 04, 04:31 PM
Jason Cothran

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
.. .

| HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
| http://www.hpshopping.com
|
| Look for "zv5000z" series.

I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my m6809
and was more expensive configured similarly.

Old June 7th 04, 08:24 PM
Ben Pope

Bx.Cornwell wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote in message
K wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /
basic specs (including video chipset) / comments

Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.

centrino isn't amd64...

Well done.

I was referring to the general build quality - clearly Centrino is not
AMD64.

the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only option
for AMD64 notebooks / tablets

The Ferrari one is pure tart!

:-p

Ben

Old June 8th 04, 12:33 AM
Bx.Cornwell

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Bx.Cornwell wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote in message
K wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /
basic specs (including video chipset) / comments

Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.

centrino isn't amd64...

Well done.

I was referring to the general build quality - clearly Centrino is not
AMD64.

the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only

option
for AMD64 notebooks / tablets

The Ferrari one is pure tart!

:-p

i don't really care for the color to be Ferarri Red... now a silver would be
good... but then again, everyone's doing a little silver these days...
perhaps the route of the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP line? a cobalt blue
(metallic) would be nice... or heck.. give me a metallic green even...

....guess i'll keep lookin around...

Ben

just a curious sidenote... are you the same person from
alt.comp.periphs.keyboards ?

Old June 7th 04, 12:26 AM
Jason Cothran

"Bx.Cornwell" wrote in message
. ..
| anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
| specs (including video chipset) / comments
|
| thanks in advance,
| Bx.C

Best bang for the buck out there in A64 laptops right now is the eMachines
m6809. If bought from Best Buy, it is $1399 after rebate.

A64 3200+
512MB RAM
80GB 4200RPM HD (slow HD, but easy to change)
4x DVD+/-RW
15.4" WxGA widescreen displayed
*
AWESOME Radeon mobility 9600 graphics!!!!
*
I score consistent 1850+ on PCPitstop with this machine, and have scored
over 1900 with some minor overclocking. 3dMark2001 scores over 12000.

Battery life is only 2-2.5 hours, but it is intended as a desktop
replacement.

Also good is the m6805, which is identical except for A64 3000+, 60GBHD
(also 4200RPM, but some users report getting 5400RPM instead), and the lack
of a DVD burner (it has DVD-rom/CDRW combo drive). I chose the m6809 over
the m6805 because the price difference was only $150.