VGA left disabled by BIOS ?

Old January 19th 04, 01:52 PM
Robert Kaiser

Default VGA left disabled by BIOS ?

Hi all,

I have bought a second hand "Windows based Terminal" (RWT200 -- see
www.relisys.com for details). Hardwarewise, it' basically a small
form factor, Cyrix MediaGx Cx5510 chipset-based PC with a DiskOnChip
(DOC) replacing the Harddisk, but it also has connectors to attach
a floppy disk and IDE disk. It has a 4.51 Award BIOS and it comes
with a customized Windows CE which it boots off the DOC.

I'm trying to convert this thing into a general-purpose diskless client.

After removing the DOC and attaching a floppy drive, it actually boots
DOS off a floppy disk. I can enter DOS commands, but I don't see
anything on the screen. Instead the screen shows a full-screen Logo
and that's it.

I have been able to dump the BIOS to disk using awdflash.exe and
analyze it off line. Here is what I get from cbrom biosfile /d:

CBROM V2.07 (C)Award Software 2000 All Rights Reserved.

******** relisys.bin BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name Original-Size Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
================================================== ==============================
0. System BIOS 20000h(128.00K) 103B4h(64.93K) 083099cc.BIN
1. XGROUP CODE 03EB0h(15.67K) 02B01h(10.75K) awardext.rom
2. EPA pattern 0168Ch(5.64K) 0030Dh(0.76K) AwardBmp.bmp
3. VGA ROM[1] 08000h(32.00K) 04229h(16.54K) gxivideo.208
4. VSA driver 20000h(128.00K) 06040h(24.06K) CE.VSA
5. LOGO BitMap 2443Ch(145.06K) 00997h(2.40K) 002.bmp

Total compress code space = 303B4h(192.93K)
Total compressed code size = 1DDC2h(119.44K)
Remain compress code space = 125F2h(73.49K)

** Micro Code Information **
Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID
------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------

I deleted the "LOGO BitMap" and the "EPA pattern", reflashed the
so-modified BIOS. Now I get the initial Award screen (the one where
it says "Hit DEL to enter setup") instead of the full-screen logo, but
still after that, the screen stays frozen.

I even managed to etherboot into the flash and boot Linux on the thing,
telnetted into the box and took a dump of the VGA video RAM (0xb8000..).
No indication that anything is there! (i.e. I cannot see the Award
messages in Video RAM while they are still showing on the screen).
It seems like the BIOS somehow leaves the VGA disabled.

Interestingly, the dialog of awdflash.exe *does* appear on the screen,
however it looks somewhat garbled.

I'm pretty sure that the "VGA ROM" can't be the cause of the problem,
because I have another similar box from MSI
(see http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...ail.php?UID=68)
which has almost identical hardware and an *exactly
identical* VGA BIOS that doesn't show this weird behavior.

So far, I have tried removing/replacing anything in the flash except
for the "System BIOS" and the "XGROUP CODE" (BTW: what is the purpose
of the latter?)

I was even desperate enough to attempt flashing the BIOS from the MSI board
in full, but that failed (Message: "The program file's part number does
not match with your system") although I did an "awdflash biosfile /py".

The BIOS ID is: "08/30/1999-GXm-Cx5530-2A434TN9C-00", the ID of the MSI
board's BIOS is "08/30/1999-GXm-Cx5530-2A434M4AC-00" -- almost identical

(BTW: "TN" seems to denote Teco/Relisys as manufacturer, this is not
yet on the Award Hardware vendor's ID list on the otherwise *very helpful*
"Wim's BIOS" page).

Does anyone have an idea how I could get the VGA enabled?

Thanks in advance for any reponse

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG http://www.elinos.com
Old January 22nd 04, 07:49 AM
pp

RusH wrote:

try also the biospatcher, it can repair some ugly bios errors

I don't think bp will correct this problem. But you can try to contact
the developer of this useful utility - maybe he can help you (he seems
to know a lot about BIOS).

Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
ASUS PC-DL bios disaster biomorphic Asus Motherboards 3 September 22nd 04 02:11 AM
set CDROM as master not slave? kony General 1 June 28th 03 07:40 AM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM