do I really need a negative holder to scan with vuescan?

Old January 11th 05, 07:21 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , bmoag
writes
Flatbed scanners will not work attached to a light box because unless they
have transparency scanning capabilities there is no way to turn off the
scanning light.

I'll bet that comes as a rather irritating surprise to all of the people
who have managed it!

One of the earliest hardware jigs available to scan film on a flatbed
was simply an internally reflective corner that reflected the light from
one half of the flatbed over, across, down and through the film laid out
on the other side of the glass. Worked a treat and many people bought
them or, even better, made their own. http://tinyurl.com/6qwtc gives
instructions to build just such an adapter that is even cheaper than
Tom's $25 light box, in fact it probably costs less than 25c and works
just as well.
--
Kennedy
Old January 11th 05, 08:03 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:21:58 +0000, Kennedy McEwen
wrote:

[...]

Genius, you guys are all geniuses!

tracy

Old January 11th 05, 08:26 PM
Tom Ellliott

Thanks for the tip!
The reason I went for the $25 4x5 transparency sorter is that it was in my
budget and it worked with the HP scanner I had at the time.
It is fun to experiment and show the nay sayers there is more than one way
to the mountaintop.
Thomas Edison once said he NEver had an unsuccessfull experiment for he
learned from them all...including the ones where the results were not what
he was looking for.
Have fun.
Yours,
Tom
wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:56:04 -0500, "Tom Ellliott"

well, I tried something pretty weird. I taped the negative to the
glass, covered it with a piece of paper, and held a cheap clip-on
lamp over it. It came out looking like an old tintype. it would be
cool, if that was the look I was going for.

tracy

Old January 11th 05, 08:29 PM
Tom Ellliott

Thanks for the compliment. In reality we just like to play and make money at
the same time...which is also to have been said that having fun and making
money is impossible. Tell that to the late George Burns who attributed his
long life to only doing what he wanted to do.
Cheers Tracy it is a great big sand box out there.
Yours,
Tom

Old January 11th 05, 08:31 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:26:04 -0500, "Tom Ellliott"
wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

yore welcome.

The reason I went for the $25 4x5 transparency sorter is that it was in my
budget and it worked with the HP scanner I had at the time.
It is fun to experiment and show the nay sayers there is more than one way
to the mountaintop.
Thomas Edison once said he NEver had an unsuccessfull experiment for he
learned from them all...including the ones where the results were not what
he was looking for.

I love it. It helps a lot with the no-budget amateur film-making too,
no?

PS I used one of those blue daylight lightbulbs. I also tried it
with the paper taped on the lamp rather than on the glass. You have
to hold it still to avoid gettng those streaks on the scan.

Old January 13th 05, 11:44 PM

wrote:

[...]

the thing about it is, that as I'm understanding, the width of the box
would have to be a t least 4", probably more to comfortably cover a
4x5 negative.

Why not just cut out the front face of the cereal box, and line that
with foil?

hmm...I'll try it.

tracy
Old January 14th 05, 12:55 AM
Tom Ellliott

Keep up the spirit of experimentation.
Thomas Alva Edison would have loved to have you as partner.
Yours,
Tom

Old January 14th 05, 01:04 AM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:55:44 -0500, "Tom Ellliott"
wrote:

Keep up the spirit of experimentation.
Thomas Alva Edison would have loved to have you as partner.
Yours,
Tom

ah, thank you very much. I'm afraid it didn't work.
Old January 14th 05, 02:23 AM
Tom Ellliott

Oh well, it was still a succesfull (spelling??) test for you found out what
Did Not work.
Keep on trucking.
Yours,
Tom