Digital ICE scanning software?

Old February 28th 04, 08:06 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:30:24 +0000 (UTC), Mike Engles
wrote:

As I only read alt.comp.periphs.scanner, this is the only group to
which this reply goes.

Stephen Rogers wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message om...

By the way, ICE will not help most Kodachrome slides. In fact, a scan of
such a slide will be much worse than without ICE.

I think, as Kennedy says, it depends on your Kodachrome. With my
slides, infrared cleaning works just fine on Kodachrome. I find
VueScan's IR cleaning better than ICE. On VueScan's "light" setting,
it gets rid of virtually all defects, more than ICE does, without more
softening than ICE. On its "medium" setting, VueScan eliminates even
more defects, with only slightly more softening than ICE.

All these options are incomparably better than scanning my Kodachromes
without IR cleaning.

On my LS 5000 it varies from batch to batch of Kodachrome. It works
far better on Negatives and Ektachrome (E6), but in either case it's
no substitute for cleaning.

Some of the old slides have seen far better days and the only thing I
can do is clean carefully and hope for the best. Some even have heat
damage.

If I blow the slides and negatives off most come out looking like new,
but a lot of the old slides are Kodachrome and on those Digital ICE
seems to have very little effect. In no case have I seen it make the
result appear to be worse than not using it at all.

In the last week I've scanned in over 2500 slides. At that rate I
certainly am glad I purchased the SF-210 slide feeder.

My only complaints are sometimes the scanner gets confused as to what
colors things should be and instead of a sunset with the shadows being
black they are blue...deep blue and I do not have color correction
set. It must be due to the auto exposure. The other complaint is
when the slide feeder jams and like all slide feeders it will jam
occasionally, the software pretty much has t o be closed and
restarted. It just doesn't seem to be able to exit a jam gracefully.
As the software boots quickly it's no great problem, but it is
annoying.

Typically I scan at either 2000, or 2400 dpi and use those images for
editing and culling. If there are some I really like, or that are
important, then I scan them at 4000 dpi. The reason is the 4000 dpi
makes for files that are nearly 70 megs each while 2400 dpi creates
some that are a bit under 20 megs. 2000 drops it all the way to a
range of 8 to 13 megs.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Hello

On my new LS 50 Ice seems to wotk pretty well on Kodachrome, as long as
it is not too dark. It does still effect edges. Also cleaning seems not
as deep as with E6 type films. It could be connected to the Kodachrome
setting. I must check.

Mike Engles