Digital ICE scanning software?

Old February 16th 04, 07:39 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , David R
writes
Take a look at the Microtek i300
http://www.microtekusa.com/smi300.html#specs and the 6800
http://www.microtekusa.com/sm6800-orig.html#fb . All the information
you want to know about the use of Digital Ice is there. They do try
to hide the fact that DI is not available with film or slides.

It might be the way that site is set up, but I cannot access microtekusa
from here, in fact I assumed it had been closed down since it has been
like that for some time - even though the European, AsiaPacific, Chinese
and Taiwan sites are accessible, though the latter two are
unintelligible to me. ;-)
--
Kennedy
Old February 16th 04, 08:55 PM
Wayne Fulton

In article ,
says...
It might be the way that site is set up, but I cannot access microtekusa
from here, in fact I assumed it had been closed down since it has been
like that for some time - even though the European, AsiaPacific, Chinese
and Taiwan sites are accessible, though the latter two are
unintelligible to me. ;-)

Puzzling, but
http://www.microtekusa.com seems to be working OK here.

ping fails, so tracert also sees timeout on the last step for me, but the
http site works OK nevertheless. Probably those are security issues, some
sites like Microsoft and IBM do disable ping.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Old February 16th 04, 11:48 PM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Wayne Fulton
writes
In article ,
says...
It might be the way that site is set up, but I cannot access microtekusa
from here, in fact I assumed it had been closed down since it has been
like that for some time - even though the European, AsiaPacific, Chinese
and Taiwan sites are accessible, though the latter two are
unintelligible to me. ;-)

Puzzling, but
http://www.microtekusa.com seems to be working OK here.

ping fails, so tracert also sees timeout on the last step for me, but the
http site works OK nevertheless. Probably those are security issues, some
sites like Microsoft and IBM do disable ping.

Almost the same here. No ping and traceroute fails at
VIP-Microtek-Lab-Inc-1034281.cust-rtr.pacbell.net
but no http access either. Seems like they are using IP address to
determine if originator is US based. Unusual...
--
Kennedy
Old February 17th 04, 07:14 PM
David R

Never heard of anything like that. I'm able to view all of the
Microtek web pages (asia, europe,,,)
Try do a do a search in google on those product names. There may be
reviews out there. Also try an American catalog house like
www.pcconnection.com or www.insight.com for information.

Wayne Fulton wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

Almost the same here. No ping and traceroute fails at
VIP-Microtek-Lab-Inc-1034281.cust-rtr.pacbell.net
but no http access either. Seems like they are using IP address to
determine if originator is US based. Unusual...

Odd, I wouldnt have expected that, but it must be.

Old February 18th 04, 01:03 AM
Stephen Rogers

Kennedy McEwen wrote in message ...
In article , David R
writes
It might be the way that site is set up, but I cannot access

microtekusa
from here, in fact I assumed it had been closed down since it has been
like that for some time - even though the European, AsiaPacific, Chinese
and Taiwan sites are accessible, though the latter two are
unintelligible to me. ;-)

Yes, they are checking where you are.
You can access the site with a web based proxy.
Go to this url
http://proxify.com/
and then type the microtekusa address (main site or your deep link to
the scanner details) in the box that comes up.
Old February 18th 04, 03:01 PM
Wayne Fulton

In article ,
says...

Never heard of anything like that.

It exists nevertheless. g IP is not country related, but the records are,
and there are many companies that can provide a lookup if you want it.
See for example
http://www.ip2location.com

That page will tell you where you are (or at least where your ISP is if
dynamic IP). I suppose Europeans could subscribe to AOL for ISP g

Old February 26th 04, 10:26 PM
Mike Engles

Wayne Fulton wrote:

In article ,
says...

I don't think that the Mikrotek range have ICE. They have a dust and
scratch removal option, but it is not ICE and works very differently
from it.

ICE is a trade name now owned by Kodak and covers two very specific
methods of defect removal on film and prints.

I'm curious what your distinction is regarding Microtek? There are of course
the two very different types of ICE as you described, but a few Microtek
flatbeds do have the flatbed version of ICE for prints. I'm not aware of
their having any other flaw minimization that isnt ICE? (Polariod did).

See the ASF site about this (ASF is now owned by Kodak):

http://www.asf.com/products/oem/oemflatscanners.shtml

My understanding is that the one new Epson flatbed ICE also works for film.
However I have not seen any mention of any fourth infrared channel as in film
scanners (we know marketing and it would be clear if it had it). I suppose
film could also use the same two lamp shadow technique (if implemented, but
Microtek doesnt claim to for film). I'm guessing about it, but I've been
curious since I have not seen the word infrared in the flatbed specs.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Hello

An extract from the Epson site on the Epson 4870

"Digital ICE™ Technology
The EPSON Perfection 4870 Photo includes professional Digital ICE™
Technology, which automatically removes surface defects such as
scratches, dust, dirt particles and fingerprints from film and prints.
Some software-only solutions just soften, blur or alter underlying
composition of the image but Digital ICE™ works from within the scanner
during the scanning process.

For photo prints it uses two light sources reflecting on the image from
different sections, identifying the precise location of physical defects
and for film scanning utilises an infrared light source, which detects
the imperfection and generates a “Defects Channel” to the traditional
RGB channels to create an improved authentic final image."

Mike Engles
Old February 26th 04, 10:30 PM
Mike Engles

Stephen Rogers wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message om...

By the way, ICE will not help most Kodachrome slides. In fact, a scan of
such a slide will be much worse than without ICE.

I think, as Kennedy says, it depends on your Kodachrome. With my
slides, infrared cleaning works just fine on Kodachrome. I find
VueScan's IR cleaning better than ICE. On VueScan's "light" setting,
it gets rid of virtually all defects, more than ICE does, without more
softening than ICE. On its "medium" setting, VueScan eliminates even
more defects, with only slightly more softening than ICE.

All these options are incomparably better than scanning my Kodachromes
without IR cleaning.

Hello

On my new LS 50 Ice seems to wotk pretty well on Kodachrome, as long as
it is not too dark. It does still effect edges. Also cleaning seems not
as deep as with E6 type films. It could be connected to the Kodachrome
setting. I must check.

Mike Engles