Paperport 11 Cannot Communicate With Scanner After Using Camera

Old February 5th 07, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
JB

Default Paperport 11 Cannot Communicate With Scanner After Using Camera

I get the "Cannot communicate with scanning device" message after I have
downloaded photos from my Intel PC camera and removed it. I have used both
Intel software and the windows camera and scanner wizard with the same
result.

The problem does not exist if I leave the camera plugged in. Re-installing
Paperport does not fix the problem. The only solution I have found is to
restore an earlier image of my c: drive.

This problem did not exist when I was using Paperport 6.5.

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Mike

Old February 5th 07, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Captain Midnight

"JB" wrote in message
I get the "Cannot communicate with scanning device" message after I have
downloaded photos from my Intel PC camera and removed it. I have used

both
Intel software and the windows camera and scanner wizard with the same
result.

The problem does not exist if I leave the camera plugged in.

Re-installing
Paperport does not fix the problem. The only solution I have found is to
restore an earlier image of my c: drive.

This problem did not exist when I was using Paperport 6.5.

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Mike

You probably just need to tell it which TWAIN device to use.

XP seems to have problems with it's USB drivers but doesn't show it. It's
not uncommon for the drivers to get corrupted when installing a new device.
Usually disconnecting the device, uninstalling it's drivers then
reinstalling the USB drivers will correct it. The device drivers should be
installed before connecting the device.

Old February 6th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
tomcas

JB wrote:
I get the "Cannot communicate with scanning device" message after I have
downloaded photos from my Intel PC camera and removed it. I have used both
Intel software and the windows camera and scanner wizard with the same
result.

The problem does not exist if I leave the camera plugged in. Re-installing
Paperport does not fix the problem. The only solution I have found is to
restore an earlier image of my c: drive.

This problem did not exist when I was using Paperport 6.5.

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Mike

It seems obvious but in Paperport have you tried- file, select source,
then choose the scanner?
Old February 8th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
JB

"tomcas" wrote in message
JB wrote:
I get the "Cannot communicate with scanning device" message after I have
downloaded photos from my Intel PC camera and removed it. I have used
both Intel software and the windows camera and scanner wizard with the
same result.

The problem does not exist if I leave the camera plugged in.
Re-installing Paperport does not fix the problem. The only solution I
have found is to restore an earlier image of my c: drive.

This problem did not exist when I was using Paperport 6.5.

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Mike

It seems obvious but in Paperport have you tried- file, select source,
then choose the scanner?

Yes...that's the first thing I tried. Although the scanner can be driven
with the Canon software, Paperport cannot drive even though it's shown as
selected.

Unplugging the scanner and replugging is the only way I have found to get it
working without the camera.

I spent a lot of time uninstalling the applications and drivers and deleting
registry entries but the problem always comes back. The problem never
occurred under earlier versions of Paperport so I think version 11 is the
problem.

I will stick with the hardware approach unless future program updates fix
the problem. It's not worth spending any more time on this.

Thanks to all who replied.

Mike

Old February 9th 07, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Roger

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:52:00 -0800, "JB" wrote:

"tomcas" wrote in message
JB wrote:
I get the "Cannot communicate with scanning device" message after I have
downloaded photos from my Intel PC camera and removed it. I have used
both Intel software and the windows camera and scanner wizard with the
same result.

The problem does not exist if I leave the camera plugged in.
Re-installing Paperport does not fix the problem. The only solution I
have found is to restore an earlier image of my c: drive.

This problem did not exist when I was using Paperport 6.5.

I don't know if you are still following this or not, but...

Some apps like to hang onto the USP port. If you have a second
controller try plugging the camera into the second controller ports
and put scanner on the other.

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

I've actually run the Nikon LS5000ED on one controller and the HP5470c
on the other at the same time with out them getting confused. I can't
do that with them both on the same controller. If your PC does have
multiple USB controllers I can sometimes be a bit difficult to figure
out what port is on which controller. Even then some programs will
not play nice with others.

[...]

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 10th 07, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
[email protected]

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 03:36:23 -0800, "JB" wrote:

I get the "Cannot communicate with scanning device" message after I have
downloaded photos from my Intel PC camera and removed it. I have used both
Intel software and the windows camera and scanner wizard with the same
result.

The problem does not exist if I leave the camera plugged in. Re-installing
Paperport does not fix the problem. The only solution I have found is to
restore an earlier image of my c: drive.

This problem did not exist when I was using Paperport 6.5.

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Mike

No real answer to your problem, but I have given up on connecting my
(Canon) cameras to the PC. It is much easier to use a USB card reader
and the camera's software to retrieve from the memory card.

MK

Old February 10th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

wrote in message
[...]

Don't use Paperport for 'Getting' images from your camera.

Use Windows Explorer, copy the image from the card and place the image on
the hard drive, then import them into paperport.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old February 11th 07, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Roger

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:53:15 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

snip

Use Windows Explorer, copy the image from the card and place the image on
the hard drive, then import them into paperport.

I just ordered two floppy drives that have integrated USB-2 card
readers in them as well. I think they were in the high $20 range. How
things change. The shipping to get a floppy drive is within pennies
of the floppy drive cost. which is around $5 or $6.

A lot of the new computers come without a floppy drive but I find even
many recent apps still use them and particularly recovery apps.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old February 13th 07, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
JB

Don't use Paperport for 'Getting' images from your camera.

Use Windows Explorer, copy the image from the card and place the image on
the hard drive, then import them into paperport.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

I am the original poster and stayed away after I thought this thread was
finished

To reiterate the original problem, Paperport will not detect the scanner
after the camera has been plugged in, then removed. Plugging the camera
back in makes Paperport work ok with the scanner but I need the camera
elsewhere at times.

I don't download or put the images in Paperport and my camera does not have
a card.

My fix is to unplug and replug the scanner after the camera has been
removed. I don't plan to pursue it any further. This is a minor
inconvenience compared to wrestling with software, at least in my case.

Thanks to all who replied.

JB

Old February 13th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"JB" wrote in message

[...]

One thing you might try.
In Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB system can lose its mind, If you open
Device Manager and remove all of the USB devices, then ReBoot the computer
Windows XP SP2 will re-install the USB system.

That has been known to fix a lot of strange problems with Windows XP's USB
problems,
I assume you are using Windows XP SP2, if not you must upgrade to SP2. To
upgrade go to Microsoft Windows update and run the update. SP1 has some
problems with USB that SP2 fixed.

Windows Update can be found at Start Menu Help.

Thanks to all who replied.

JB

--
CSM1