Can no longer play Half-Life 2 now that I installed the 4.11 Cats!

Old November 20th 04, 02:20 AM
pw

Default Can no longer play Half-Life 2 now that I installed the 4.11 Cats!

Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
Old November 20th 04, 02:22 AM
Tom Brown

pw wrote:
Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
fine for me...

Old November 20th 04, 03:25 AM
Nerdillius Maximus

"Top Secret" wrote in message
"Tom Brown" wrote in message
pw wrote:
Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
fine for me...

Link please.

Well, since you asked so nicely, you used to be able to get them from ATI
and Station Drivers, but it seems not so any more. You can get them from
Guru3d still.

Old November 20th 04, 03:49 AM
Nerdillius Maximus

"Nerdillius Maximus" wrote in message

"Top Secret" wrote in message
"Tom Brown" wrote in message
pw wrote:
Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work

just
fine for me...

Link please.

Well, since you asked so nicely, you used to be able to get them from ATI
and Station Drivers, but it seems not so any more. You can get them from
Guru3d still.

Update: you USED to be able to get them from Guru 3d. Seems like link is
down. Wonder what's up? Might try a Google search, I've already got them
meself, not using them ATM because I prefer Omega's set...

Old November 20th 04, 04:19 AM
LymanAlpha

On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:

"Nerdillius Maximus" wrote in message

"Top Secret" wrote in message

"Tom Brown" wrote in message
. ..

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Old November 20th 04, 05:14 AM
Nerdillius Maximus

"LymanAlpha" ioo@??.¿¿¿ wrote in message
. com...
On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:

"Nerdillius Maximus" wrote in message

"Top Secret" wrote in message

"Tom Brown" wrote in message
. ..

pw wrote:

[...]

Ahh, just beat me to it. I just remembered where I got them from in the
first place, looked in last week's "history" folder and was about to post
the link...thanks :-).

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Old November 20th 04, 06:15 AM
Son of Blahguy

"LymanAlpha" ioo@??.¿¿¿ wrote in message
. com...
On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:

snip

How would the punkbuster server affect you VGA card?

Old November 20th 04, 06:27 AM
Revolvr

"pw" wrote in message
Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

I had a problem with corrupted graphics and lock up that sounds similar.

Found something on the Steam News site about an update to the Steam client
to fix corrupted cache files, was posted today. Followed the instructions,
solved the problem. Could be it.

-- Rev

Old November 20th 04, 06:30 AM
pw

pw wrote:
Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
fine for me...

Okay, I will give them a shot. I ended up going back to the 4.10
drivers that Hercules has had on their site since last February (Guess
they have given up supporting my 9700 Pro!) and the game is back to
normal.

Funny - after installing the original drivers I had when I installed
the game, the game/steam told me my drivers are out of date and gave
me a link to the 4.11 drivers on ATI's site! I didn't get that
message when I installed the game!

Thanks!