Why does this memory intensive C++ program get poor memory access speed?

Old March 27th 10, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,comp.lang.c++
Peter Olcott[_2_]

Default Why does this memory intensive C++ program get poor memory access speed?

MemTest86 and it showed:
Intel Core-i5 750 2.67 Ghz (quad core)
32K L1 88,893 MB/Sec
256K L2 37,560 MB/Sec
8 MB L3 26,145 MB/Sec
8.0 GB RAM 11,852 MB/Sec

The resulting memory access speed is substantially slower
than worst case cache hit ratio should provide.

For example I am often getting 117 MB/Sec. It was compiled
with the optimize for speed flags under VS C++ 9.0

#include stdio.h
#include stdlib.h
#include vector
#include time.h

typedef unsigned int uint32;
uint32 Max = 0x2fffffff;

uint32 GetRandom(uint32 size) {
return (rand() * (RAND_MAX + 1) + rand()) % size;
}

void Initialize(std::vectoruint32& Data, uint32 size) {
for (uint32 N = 0; N size; N++)
Data[N] = GetRandom(size);
}

double Process(uint32 size, uint32 RandomSeed = 0) {
std::vectoruint32 Data;
double MBperSec;
double duration;
clock_t finish;
Data.resize(size);
Initialize(Data, size);
clock_t start = clock();
uint32 num = 0;
for (uint32 N = 0; N Max; N++)
num = Data[num];
finish = clock();
duration = (double)(finish - start) / CLOCKS_PER_SEC;
MBperSec = (double)(Max * 4) / (duration * 1024 * 1024);
printf("%4d MegaBytes %7.2f Seconds %7.2f Megbytes per
Second\n",
(size*4) / 1048576, duration, MBperSec);
return MBperSec;
}

int main() {
uint32 Seed = (unsigned)time( NULL );
Seed = 0x4bae27d4;
srand(Seed);
printf("Random Number Seed---%x\n", Seed);

for (uint32 size = 13107200; size = 268435456; size +=
13107200) {
double AverageMBperSec = 0;
for (int N = 1; N = 10; N++)
AverageMBperSec += Process(size);
printf("Average Megabytes per Second---%7.2f\n\n",
AverageMBperSec / 10.0 );
}

return 0;
}

Old March 27th 10, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,comp.lang.c++
Ian Collins

On 03/28/10 07:09 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
MemTest86 and it showed:
Intel Core-i5 750 2.67 Ghz (quad core)
32K L1 88,893 MB/Sec
256K L2 37,560 MB/Sec
8 MB L3 26,145 MB/Sec
8.0 GB RAM 11,852 MB/Sec

The resulting memory access speed is substantially slower
than worst case cache hit ratio should provide.

From a C++ perspective, bad style? Seriously, this isn't a C++ question.

snip

double Process(uint32 size, uint32 RandomSeed = 0) {
std::vectoruint32 Data;
double MBperSec;
double duration;
clock_t finish;
Data.resize(size);
Initialize(Data, size);
clock_t start = clock();
uint32 num = 0;
for (uint32 N = 0; N Max; N++)
num = Data[num];

With one exception: I'd expect most optimisers to reduce this loop to a
op-op.

--
Ian Collins
Old March 28th 10, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,comp.lang.c++
Liviu

"Ian Collins" wrote...
On 03/28/10 07:09 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
MemTest86 and it showed:
Intel Core-i5 750 2.67 Ghz (quad core)
32K L1 88,893 MB/Sec
256K L2 37,560 MB/Sec
8 MB L3 26,145 MB/Sec
8.0 GB RAM 11,852 MB/Sec

The resulting memory access speed is substantially slower
than worst case cache hit ratio should provide.

What makes you think that's a "worst case" number? I don't
see any statement to that effect by memTest86 and, absent
such, I'd consider it more of a "best case", or maybe "common
usage pattern" speed, which your test is neither.

From a C++ perspective, bad style? Seriously, this isn't
a C++ question.

Right, and sorry, can't help but keep it off-topic ;-) just a few
comments below, mostly specific to 32b windows and vc++ v9.

double Process(uint32 size, uint32 RandomSeed = 0) {
std::vectoruint32 Data;
double MBperSec;
double duration;
clock_t finish;
Data.resize(size);
Initialize(Data, size);
clock_t start = clock();
uint32 num = 0;
for (uint32 N = 0; N Max; N++)
num = Data[num];

With one exception: I'd expect most optimisers to reduce this loop
to a op-op.

Reading that as a "no-op", and you are right, of course... Just a guess,
however, since there was no command line or makefile given, but unless
it had a "#define _SECURE_SCL 0" or equivalent somewhere else,
the default compile would have used bounds checking for std::vector,
which referenced 'num' and saved the loop from being optimized away.

Also, the generated loop had an extra memory access since the compiler
decided to save 'num' on the stack between iterations. Anyway, running
similar mockup code (with the array holding pointers, rather than
offsets, and 'num = Data[num];' replaced by 'pdata = (uint32 *)*pdata;')
the resulting assembler code had just the intended single read of memory
in a tight loop.With random addresses, as posted, it registered around
150MB/sec on my test machine. With sequential reads, instead, (i.e.
replacing Initialize with 'Data[N] = (uint32)&Data[(N + 1) % size];')
it went up to 2.5GB/sec, more than 15 times faster.

My numbers above were on a 5+ year old machine with lesser
specs than the OP's. For comparison, the PC Wizard memory
benchmark listed the "memory bandwidth" at around 4.2GB/sec.
Their page at http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php explicitly says...

|| MEMORY and CACHE: These benchmarks measure
|| the maximum achiveable memory bandwidth.

....so I did not find the test numbers surprising. After all, hopping
at random around memory could hardly ever be expected to achieve
anything near the "maximum bandwidth". It's just another example
of why "locality of reference" matters with real life caching schemes.

Liviu