wifi pc card

Old January 18th 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Me[_4_]

Default wifi pc card

I have an Intel 2100ab (11g) fitted and the signal strength is not that
great where the machine is located.

Will an Intel 2200bg (54g) increase signal strength or just speed.

The pc slot and onboard USB ports are busy so cannot fit any other form of
wifi card.

dj
M60

Old January 18th 08, 11:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

In theory the distance too. This assumes you also have a router that
will do G.

Old January 18th 08, 12:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

you may find some increased signal strength with a g card but, like ben
said, you would also want a g router.
alternatively, you may want to consider other ways to deliver the signal
such as a repeater that sits someplace in your home near the outer edge of
your routers range and extends that range so that the laptop receives a
stronger single. or you could use powerline networking, a gizmo that plugs
into an electrical wall out and connects to your router (wired) on one end,
and another gizmo that plugs into an electrical outlet on the other end
(room that laptop is in) and broadcasts a wireless signal. from there...
the powerline adapters are great because if there is some obstacle in your
home (a huge steel beam, a stone wall) that is the cause for the signal loss
then this get the wireless on the other side of the obstacle before being
broadcasted again. but if the problem is just distance, the repeater should
work fine.
range expander:
http://tinyurl.com/2fqetd
powerlink adapters:
http://tinyurl.com/2zgaab
http://tinyurl.com/3ycr62

Old January 18th 08, 02:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 05:55:39 -0000, "Me" wrote:

I have an Intel 2100ab (11g) fitted and the signal strength is not that
great where the machine is located.

Will an Intel 2200bg (54g) increase signal strength or just speed.

The pc slot and onboard USB ports are busy so cannot fit any other form of
wifi card.

dj
M60

I agree with Tom and Chris. You might try to raise the position of
the current router to see it that helps the signal strength.
Old January 18th 08, 04:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
tpow

"Me" wrote in message
I have an Intel 2100ab (11g) fitted and the signal strength is not that
great where the machine is located.

Will an Intel 2200bg (54g) increase signal strength or just speed.

The pc slot and onboard USB ports are busy so cannot fit any other form of
wifi card.

dj
M60

location dicates I cannot move either router or M60.

I think for the price of the 2200bg I'll just give one a try...........

thanks everyone

dj

Old January 19th 08, 12:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

May I suggest the Intel 2945abg also? This card has impressive range. Any
laptop with one picks up my neighbor's wifi router across the street. The
2100ab, 2200bg and 2945abg all use the same set of Intel drivers.

When you replace, remove the system battery, unplug from the wall, and remember
which of the antenna wires to attach where.

Speed browsing the internet will hardly increase at all, even with an 802.11g
router. But if you routinely share files with other computers, this process
will get quicker with an 802.11g router in the mix... Ben Myers

Old January 19th 08, 02:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 05:55:39 -0000, "Me" wrote:

I have an Intel 2100ab (11g) fitted and the signal strength is not that
great where the machine is located.

Will an Intel 2200bg (54g) increase signal strength or just speed.

The pc slot and onboard USB ports are busy so cannot fit any other form of
wifi card.

dj
M60

On two of my laptops initially I had ordered the Dell wireless (I
think it was 1390).

I replaced the mini network card on each PC with the "Intel
PRO/Wireless 3945ABG".

My network connection problems went away and things are stable,
although the range is much better on my Mac Book than my Windows
laptops. I'm too new to the Mac to know what that uses.

Ben gave me the encouragement I needed to go ahead and order and do
the install myself. It's very easy.

I think I got at least one of mine from Amazon and the other possibly
from newegg.
Old January 19th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:46:51 -0500, Ben Myers
wrote:

May I suggest the Intel 2945abg also? This card has impressive range. Any
laptop with one picks up my neighbor's wifi router across the street. The
2100ab, 2200bg and 2945abg all use the same set of Intel drivers.

Ben -- how does the 2945abg compare to the 3945abg? I have the latter
and it is stable and does a good job.
Old January 19th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Same electronics. Different form factor.

I sold and installed a number of 2945's to improve wifi reception considerably,
once I was able to buy a batch inexpensively myself... Ben Myers