rebuilding computer, need help please

Old April 3rd 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tomgasgas

Default rebuilding computer, need help please

ok im rebuilding my computer, ive been saving for ages and ive got
£120 i plan to buy a barebones and a new cpu, i have managed to
salvage some kingston value ram (ddr2 512mb 533mhz) i also have an ide
hard drive to temporarily use untill i can afford a decent sata. (also
a cd drive)

anyway i intend to buy these components from ebuyer:

(please follow links)

barebones:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124906

cpu:

basically i want to know if i am getting a good deal for my money?
im pretty sure the two are compatible but if they are not could
somebody please tell me?

any help would be apreciated

many thanks

Old April 3rd 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
meerkat

oups.com...

The PSU @ 250 is very poor.

Old April 3rd 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tomgasgas

does the psu affect speed? does anybody out there know of a beter deal?

Old April 4th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

tomgasgas wrote:
ok im rebuilding my computer, ive been saving for ages and ive got
£120 i plan to buy a barebones and a new cpu, i have managed to
salvage some kingston value ram (ddr2 512mb 533mhz) i also have an ide
hard drive to temporarily use untill i can afford a decent sata. (also
a cd drive)

anyway i intend to buy these components from ebuyer:

(please follow links)

barebones:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124906

cpu:

basically i want to know if i am getting a good deal for my money?
im pretty sure the two are compatible but if they are not could
somebody please tell me?

any help would be apreciated

many thanks

There are plenty of processors listed as compatible, but it all boils
down to how much power is available.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppor...=en-us&cache=1

The Asus site has no info on the power supply provided. The downloadable
"document" for the V3-P5V900 is a quick install guide, a hefty download,
but basically the same skimpy information repeated in 10 different languages.
So it doesn't come with a real manual.

To estimate the power, I'm using a picture of the power supply in
another similar Asus product

(Case view of Asus V3-M2NC61S is similar to the V3-P5V900)
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...110-073-02.jpg

(Power supply in V3-M2NC61S is a 250W unit from Delta.)
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...110-073-14.jpg

12V1 @ 10A, 12V2 @ 14A, 5V @ 18A, +5VSB @ 2.5A, 3.3V @ 16A, -12V @ 0.3A
3.3 & 5V total power less than 115W
3.3 & 5V & 12V1 & 12V2 total power less than 235W
12V1 & 12V2 total current less than 19A

The processor you've selected, is one of these at 84 watts. Processor power
comes from the 12V2 rail.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Lis...BX80547PG3400F

84W / 12V * (1 / 0.90) = 7.78A on 12V2 (the 0.90 stands for 90% Vcore efficiency)

The rest of the 12V load, would be your one CDROM drive (say 12V @ 1.5A),
your one hard drive (12V @ 0.6A), and some cooling fans (12V @ 0.5A). Those
would load up the 12V1 rail.

The total current so far, of 12V2 and 12V1 is 7.78A + 1.5A + 0.6A + 0.5A = 10.38A

and that is less than the 19A combined limit. The power in watts drawn from the
12V rail is about 125 watts. That leaves 235W - 125W = 110W for the 3.3V and 5V
rails. Typically, the additional loads on the motherboard might draw about
50W or so (and I have no way to calculate them, so that is only a guess).

So it looks like you have enough power in the box, for a minimal system.

Now, at some future time, you might want to add a graphics card. Those draw
from the 12V rail. When it comes time to select a card, see an article
like this, because it will show you how much of the remaining 60W or
perhaps 12V @ 5A you might end up using. The 7600GT uses 27W, and I wouldn't
use a stronger card than that. Other pages in this article, give the power numbers
for some weaker cards. And initially at least, you'll be using the built-in
graphics.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...r-noise_5.html

A 7300GS, for example, draws 16.1 watts.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...r-noise_7.html

In the Asus manual, there appears to be room for an optional
fan in the front of the system. You may want to pick up a fan
to install in there, to aid in cooling the box. One problem
with small systems like this, is the environment inside
the box can get pretty hot, due to the way they are cooled.

Another thing to note - in terms of maintenance. If you have a
motherboard failure, or a power supply failure, the motherboard
is probably not a standard size. Only Asus would be able to
supply a replacement that would fit. The power supply might also
present a problem if you need another one. I don't really know
what the warranty period is for the product from Asus. If either the
motherboard or the power supply fails outside of the warranty,
then you may end up replacing the whole barebones box.

Otherwise, enjoy your new project :-)

The built-in graphics should be fine for web surfing, email, and
office applications. I would not recommend your hardware configuration
for an OS like Vista, but aim for some older OS. And if you find 512MB
of memory is too restrictive, you can always add another 512MB stick
later. If you want to play 3D games, I'd consider a separate
graphics card for that.

Paul
Old April 4th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ben Crowell

tomgasgas wrote:
does the psu affect speed? does anybody out there know of a beter deal?

The PSU doesn't affect speed directly. However, you want to make sure you
have enough power to run your computer properly. 250 W could be fine,
depending on how much power the computer draws.

For comparison, I just built a system with an amd64 dual-core cpu. The
peak power I measured was 133 W, which was with both processors running
full out. (The peak during booting was 121 W.) So for my system, a 250 W
psu would have been fine, but it would have been pretty hard for me to
calculate that accurately enough to feel safe building it that way.

One thing you have to realize is that a lot of the more recent dual-core
cpu's are actually *more* energy-efficient than their predecessors,
even though they're faster, and have two cores. This is one way in which
you may not be doing yourself a favor with the plan of using an older
processor. You're not necessarily saving much (any?) money by buying the
pentium 4, as opposed to something newer. The dual-core AMD I bought
was $110, which is not much more than you were planning to spend on the
pentium 4.

If you just want a system at a reasonable price, it's not obvious to me
that building your own makes sense. It probably depends a lot on how
many parts you can reuse. Here in the U.S., when I've needed a cheap
computer, I've been buying Great Quality brand PCs for $200, which is
probably less than you'd end up spending on your projected system, if
you include shipping, VAT, etc. On the other hand, if you just think
it will be fun to build your own system, then go ahead and have fun!
One thing to think about, though, if your budget is very tight, is
that the first time you build a system, you may make mistakes, and
those mistakes may end up costing you money -- money you don't have.
The first time I built a system, I got the motherboard misaligned,
shorted it out, and had to buy a new mobo.
Old April 4th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tomgasgas

i may consider looking at an amd dual core, what are they like in
comparison to a p4?

i do also have a 300w psu in my old computer, maybe i could use that
case with a new motherboard? but it is an old case.

Old April 4th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"tomgasgas" wrote in message
ups.com...
i may consider looking at an amd dual core, what are they like in
comparison to a p4?

WHICH P4? The core 2 duo processors (technically still P4 processors) kick
the ASS of any AMD processor (single or dual core), performance wise. In
fact, the core 2 duo line is tops in both speed AND bang/buck, at the
moment. So if that's the P4 processor you are asking about, AMD dual core
won't gain you anything.

If you are comparing AMD dual core anything to socket 478, or earlier LGA775
P4 processors, then you might as well flip a coin.

i do also have a 300w psu in my old computer, maybe i could use that
case with a new motherboard? but it is an old case.

Terrible idea. First, your PSU probably won't support your new mainboard.
Even if it could (which is highly unlikely), it's still a bad idea. Always
start with a new power supply. Skimp on any other component (if you must),
but NOT the power supply. Starting a new build with an old power supply is
like building a skyscraper on a foundation of wet sand. You are engineering
disaster, by design. -Dave

Old April 4th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tomgasgas

its a 3.4ghz lga 775 p4 im chosing between that and an amd dual core.
because its cheaper to get a decent amd barebones than a p4 one

Old April 4th 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"tomgasgas" wrote in message
oups.com...
its a 3.4ghz lga 775 p4 im chosing between that and an amd dual core.
because its cheaper to get a decent amd barebones than a p4 one

If the price is lower, go AMD dual core. Depending on what apps. you run,
the performance will be about the same. -Dave

Old April 4th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tomgasgas

ok i have decided what i am getting

i just need advice: will the following motherboard (barebones) and cpu
work together?:

cpu: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=87128

motherboard (barebones) : http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124906

i dont want to end up buying a motherboard and cpu that arent
compatiable.

i really apreciate the help

thanks a lot

Rebuilding a Dell 2300 ... keeps shutting down during Windows installation System 4 Dell Computers 27 January 11th 07 10:31 PM
Rebuilding IP5000 Bullitt Printers 27 November 14th 06 10:58 AM
Rebuilding from CDs and missing applications ~~Alan~~ Dell Computers 10 July 5th 06 12:04 PM
Rebuilding a Dell PC (Laptop) ~~Alan~~ Dell Computers 3 January 30th 06 11:28 PM
Rebuilding System A8N-SLI Dave McCaleb Asus Motherboards 9 March 25th 05 10:11 PM