Rebuilding IP5000

Old October 20th 06, 12:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bullitt

Default Rebuilding IP5000

Hi all:

Just registered here, though I've been reading this group for quite a
while. I have found quite a bit of useful info here, and some very,
very knowledgeable posters. Of course, as usual there are always a
couple at the other end of the spectrum, hehe...

A little about me: I've worked with electronic printing for close to
20 years with an organisation that prints about half a billion
impressions per year, mainly on hi-speed production lasers (anyone
heard of the Xerox 9700?). During this time, I've also supported
low-mid-speed workgroup and desktop lasers, and some inkjets, so I
know my way around the software and hardware.

I do need to learn more about accurate colour printing with inkjets,
and find this newgroup a wealth of information. I am just getting
into the world of digital photography, as my old, and formerly trusty
Canon F1 has finally bit the dust. Anyone interested in some lenses?

I own two IP5000 printers... one since new (15 months now), and one I
just purchased as 'used' on eBay. The new one has been flawless to
date. After the original set of carts expired, I've been using
compatibles. First couple of sets were generic, and were so-so... no
clogs, but a bit weak with the magenta. I just started using
CoralJet-branded compatibles...yet to see how they perform. I'm also
researching refilling, but that's another topic.

I received the used IP5000 last week, but it's not quite what I
thought it'd be. The auction said 'excellent condition", and
"fully tested and functional", but a quick test and a dump
of the ROM showed something else. The printhead has a partial clog
(or damage) in the pigment black that I've been unable to clear. I
did test with the printhead from my other IP5000, and everything else
is good. It has printed 8000+ pages (mostly plain paper), the waste
ink counter is over 30%, it's gone through 140+ cartridges, the
printhead has been removed and perhaps replaced at least 5 times
prior to my test, and it's service date is Nov/04 (all this from the
ROM dump). Thus, it's printed an average of 12 pages a day, every
day, since the service date. Highly used, I'd say... probably was a
POS printer in it's previous life (point-of-sale, not piece-of-s***,
hehe). The inside is also quite filthy, the rollers are blue, and
the waste pads I can see are black... but suprisingly, it still
prints rather well in colour. Guess this says a lot about it's
durability! Rather than complain and send it back (and blow more
money on shipping fees), I'm going to keep it and attempt a rebuild.
The price was a bit high (about US$80), but I'm game for it.

Back to the subject at hand: I've looked back quite a ways, but
couldn't find much detail on disassembly of the IP4000/5000 family,
and even less on available parts. I do have both the service manual
and the parts catalogue, which is about all I could find to help tear
the thing down. I also believe I've found a decent source for genuine
Canon parts, including ink absorber pad kits (US$9) and other bits
(bottom case unit, incl. pads - US$13). I will post details once the
procurement of parts is successful.

BTW, in the service manual, Canon's projected life cycle of the IP4000
is 5 years, or 18,000 prints, whichever comes first. I imagine the
IP5000 isn't much different. That's not to say a printer cannot
exceed it's life cycle... in my experience, they can.

Right now, I'm going to start stripping the thing down right to the
pads to see what can be cleaned, and what needs to be replaced. I'll
then place my parts order. I do plan on documenting the entire
process.

I'll try keep this topic posted on my progress.

(OMG, I just realized that I've written a book! Sorry...)

Old October 20th 06, 02:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Electric Pineapple

umm... I'm interested in your Canon lenses! You know that you can use them
with a Canon digital body, right? Narower effective angle but totally
useable. If you really want to sell them post what you have and where you
are located.

Old October 20th 06, 03:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Bullitt wrote:

[...]

There are none.

First couple of sets were generic, and were so-so...

Now you are stretching it a bit.

no
clogs, but a bit weak with the magenta. I just started using
CoralJet-branded compatibles...yet to see how they perform. I'm also
researching refilling, but that's another topic.

I received the used IP5000 last week, but it's not quite what I
thought it'd be. The auction said 'excellent condition", and
"fully tested and functional", but a quick test and a dump
of the ROM showed something else.

That figures. Was it on Ebay?

The printhead has a partial clog
(or damage) in the pigment black that I've been unable to clear. I
did test with the printhead from my other IP5000, and everything else
is good. It has printed 8000+ pages (mostly plain paper), the waste
ink counter is over 30%, it's gone through 140+ cartridges, the
printhead has been removed and perhaps replaced at least 5 times
prior to my test, and it's service date is Nov/04 (all this from the
ROM dump).

And you still bought it

Thus, it's printed an average of 12 pages a day, every
day, since the service date. Highly used, I'd say... probably was a
POS printer in it's previous life (point-of-sale, not piece-of-s***,
hehe). The inside is also quite filthy, the rollers are blue, and
the waste pads I can see are black... but suprisingly, it still
prints rather well in colour. Guess this says a lot about it's
durability! Rather than complain and send it back (and blow more
money on shipping fees), I'm going to keep it and attempt a rebuild.
The price was a bit high (about US$80), but I'm game for it.

This had gotta be a joke. You can trot down to Frys and buy an IP4300
for the same money.

Back to the subject at hand: I've looked back quite a ways, but
couldn't find much detail on disassembly of the IP4000/5000 family,

It is not worth the time unless your time is worthless. Again the
IP4300 is a real buy and will be under warranty for a year if you use
Canon ink. If some other junk ruins the printer Canon does not have to
honor the warranty.

and even less on available parts. I do have both the service manual
and the parts catalogue, which is about all I could find to help tear
the thing down. I also believe I've found a decent source for genuine
Canon parts, including ink absorber pad kits (US$9) and other bits
(bottom case unit, incl. pads - US$13). I will post details once the
procurement of parts is successful.

I do not think people will have an interest since they can buy a new one
for less.

Old October 20th 06, 03:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Electric Pineapple wrote:

umm... I'm interested in your Canon lenses! You know that you can use them
with a Canon digital body, right? Narower effective angle but totally
useable.

That is not really true. Yes they will fit and you can use them totally
using manual focus and no exposure meter. You will not have any of the
features of a digital camera if they are not standard EF lenses. If
they are the original lenses that came with the F1 you may have a
problem. The same is true of Nikon. The old Nikkor AI lenses will not
auto focus or auto expose on a new digital body although they will fit
and can be used manually.

Old October 20th 06, 06:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

Bullitt wrote:

I do need to learn more about accurate colour printing with inkjets,
and find this newgroup a wealth of information. I am just getting
into the world of digital photography, as my old, and formerly trusty
Canon F1 has finally bit the dust. Anyone interested in some lenses?

I'm on an a-1 and a t-70. I "had" an ae-1 program but I gave that to
the friendly neighborhood buddhist monks, but having to replace my
50mm, it was cheaper for me to pickup a t-70 than a 50mm.

But by all means, put together a list. If you have any give away
lenses.... i'm sure the monks (Theravadin) would greatly appricate
them. I just gave them the standard 1:1.8 50mm, and a crappy flash,
but do plan to give them a semi decent canon flash.

Old October 20th 06, 06:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

Bullitt wrote:

BTW, in the service manual, Canon's projected life cycle of the IP4000
is 5 years, or 18,000 prints, whichever comes first. I imagine the
IP5000 isn't much different. That's not to say a printer cannot
exceed it's life cycle... in my experience, they can.

While I would agree physicaly the printer can probally shoot out 18,000
pieces of paper, I can not agree the printhead is geared for anywhere
close to that. Check out the details in the service manual. 1500
character patern is well below 5% yield, so 1/2 text and 1/2 photo
brings down your effective print ability. I did the math once, and I
appromiated that 10 print cartridges each tank is about right. Reality
could be double that, or higher. In my experence the main reason for
the pigment black clogging is lack of use.

As for the stained rollers, there is a roller cleaning option which
involves a piece of paper folded in half and an option in the driver.
That with windex seems most effective in cleaning.

Diaper replacement, haven't done that yet.

Old October 29th 06, 06:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

measekite wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

[...]

Btw, the lenses have been sold.

I own two IP5000 printers... one since new (15 months now), and one I
just purchased as 'used' on eBay. The new one has been flawless to
date. After the original set of carts expired, I've been using
compatibles.

There are none.

Depends on your definition of 'compatible'. Mine is that they'll fit
and otherwise work in the printer. I don't particularly care if
they're 100% identical, including the ink, which is obviously your
definition.

First couple of sets were generic, and were so-so...

Now you are stretching it a bit.

How would you know? By your own admission, you've never used them, so
you have no experience with them and thus aren't in a position to
comment. All I've tried print just fine on plain paper, which is
accounts for 90% of my printing. I've found some that are rather good
at photos too.

no
clogs, but a bit weak with the magenta. I just started using
CoralJet-branded compatibles...yet to see how they perform. I'm also
researching refilling, but that's another topic.

I received the used IP5000 last week, but it's not quite what I
thought it'd be. The auction said 'excellent condition", and
"fully tested and functional", but a quick test and a dump
of the ROM showed something else.

That figures. Was it on Ebay?

Yup. Buying used is always risky, but most of the time you get a
deal...

The printhead has a partial clog
(or damage) in the pigment black that I've been unable to clear. I
did test with the printhead from my other IP5000, and everything else
is good. It has printed 8000+ pages (mostly plain paper), the waste
ink counter is over 30%, it's gone through 140+ cartridges, the
printhead has been removed and perhaps replaced at least 5 times
prior to my test, and it's service date is Nov/04 (all this from the
ROM dump).

And you still bought it

Didn't know it until I received it and physically examined it.
Otherwise it looks good, and is definitely worth reconditioning. It
will still come out cheaper than buying a new ip5000 on eBay.

Thus, it's printed an average of 12 pages a day, every
day, since the service date. Highly used, I'd say... probably was a
POS printer in it's previous life (point-of-sale, not piece-of-s***,
hehe). The inside is also quite filthy, the rollers are blue, and
the waste pads I can see are black... but suprisingly, it still
prints rather well in colour. Guess this says a lot about it's
durability! Rather than complain and send it back (and blow more
money on shipping fees), I'm going to keep it and attempt a rebuild.
The price was a bit high (about US$80), but I'm game for it.

This had gotta be a joke. You can trot down to Frys and buy an IP4300
for the same money.

Not in Canada. Regardless, I'd be forced into buying just Canon
cartridges, as the IP4300 requires chipped cartridges, and I refuse to
pay such a high price for cartridges when I mostly do plain paper
printing. My money is worth more to me than just handing it over to a
vendor. Including the original cost, shipping, and parts, it'll cost
me about US$100 to get this printer into 'like new' shape, not bad for
this model (and that includes some new cosmetic cover panels to replace
old ones that are rather scratched).

Back to the subject at hand: I've looked back quite a ways, but
couldn't find much detail on disassembly of the IP4000/5000 family,

It is not worth the time unless your time is worthless. Again the
IP4300 is a real buy and will be under warranty for a year if you use
Canon ink. If some other junk ruins the printer Canon does not have to
honor the warranty.

It is worth the time if you know what you're doing. It only takes
about 15 minutes to disassemble the thing, and parts are not expensive.
In fact, some of us rather enjoy working on these things. So unless
you are a complete technical incompetent, it's well worth it. And
what's with pushing the chipped printers? Are you a dealer or salesman
(because you sure sound like one)?

and even less on available parts. I do have both the service manual
and the parts catalogue, which is about all I could find to help tear
the thing down. I also believe I've found a decent source for genuine
Canon parts, including ink absorber pad kits (US$9) and other bits
(bottom case unit, incl. pads - US$13). I will post details once the
procurement of parts is successful.

I do not think people will have an interest since they can buy a new one
for less.

Oh sure, one can buy the ip4300 for less, but it'll cost a mint in OEM
cartridges to keep it running. It's a concept you're obviously not
familiar with, called total cost of operation. But then, you don't
care about that, do you?

BTW, in the service manual, Canon's projected life cycle of the IP4000
is 5 years, or 18,000 prints, whichever comes first. I imagine the
IP5000 isn't much different. That's not to say a printer cannot
exceed it's life cycle... in my experience, they can.

Right now, I'm going to start stripping the thing down right to the
pads to see what can be cleaned, and what needs to be replaced. I'll
then place my parts order. I do plan on documenting the entire
process.

I'll try keep this topic posted on my progress.

(OMG, I just realized that I've written a book! Sorry...)

Btw, I've disassembled the printer, and ordered about $20 in parts.
More to come when they get here...

Bullitt

Old October 29th 06, 07:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

zakezuke wrote:
wrote:
It is worth the time if you know what you're doing. It only takes
about 15 minutes to disassemble the thing, and parts are not expensive.
In fact, some of us rather enjoy working on these things. So unless
you are a complete technical incompetent, it's well worth it. And
what's with pushing the chipped printers? Are you a dealer or salesman
(because you sure sound like one)? Bullitt

Firstly, I must admit I prefer the skintones on the ip5200, with OEM
and aftermarket. This being said, there should be a means of using
cli-8 ink on the ip5000 by defining the printer's region as being
"japan". Worth exploring. I tried it out on my mp760 but in it's
case, japanese mode changes the display to Japanese, and the driver
(mp770) is 100% japanese, unlike other languages and regions where
english is an option.

On the new ip5200 you get a couple of new paper types to support, but
nothing really extraordinary. If I saw the ip5000 onsale odds are I
would have bought it instead of the ip5200.

Where do you get your aftermarket cli-8 ink carts? I've got a bud who
bought an ip4200, and is sick and tired of shelling out his hard earned
bucks for Canon carts at C$24 each.

Thanks,
Bullitt

Old October 29th 06, 12:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

wrote:

measekite wrote:

Bullitt wrote:

[...]

Not True. Very False. It is not important who pushes the print
button. I have seen printers that use them while they are printing and
have examined the results. The quality cannot compare to OEM.
Furthermore I have seen these same prints fade in a relatively short
period of time. My friend who uses them has also has to run cleaning
routines to unclog his printer. So far he has not had a permanent clog
that trashed his printer. He chooses to accept fading and reduced
quality to spend less money and take a risk on the clogging. That is
okay for him but not me.

If the users in this ng want to submit to a higher risk to clogging,
accept a higher risk of fading and are satisfied with reduced quality
that is ok but they at least should admit it.

All I've tried print just fine on plain paper, which is
accounts for 90% of my printing. I've found some that are rather good
at photos too.

If you think that photos look rather good on plain paper than you are no
judge of photographic printing. I can see differences on different
brands of good photographic paper as there is.

no
clogs, but a bit weak with the magenta. I just started using
CoralJet-branded compatibles...yet to see how they perform. I'm also
researching refilling, but that's another topic.

I received the used IP5000 last week, but it's not quite what I
thought it'd be. The auction said 'excellent condition", and
"fully tested and functional", but a quick test and a dump
of the ROM showed something else.

That figures. Was it on Ebay?

Yup. Buying used is always risky, but most of the time you get a
deal...

ha ha ha

[...]

IP5200R or IP5000 with print server? [email protected] Printers 21 November 6th 05 04:18 AM
IP5200R or IP5000 with print server? [email protected] Printers 4 November 5th 05 10:23 PM
IP4000 vs. IP5000 -- final thoughts Sarah Feliz Printers 34 May 29th 05 01:34 PM
Canon IP4000 v IP5000 Davy Printers 3 May 19th 05 06:34 PM
Canon IP5000 cannot print proper blacks on kodak two sided soft gloss paper! Steve Printers 7 January 21st 05 02:29 AM