WiFi Card for XPS 8100 Desktop?

Old November 29th 19, 09:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default WiFi Card for XPS 8100 Desktop?

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on December 13, 2019.

The last post I see on this ng is dated 8/10/2019. Don't know if anyone else
is lurking, but just in case, here's my question:

Studio XPS 8100 Desktop, circa 2010

It's been running great 24x7 all these years. It's connected to a router via
ethernet, and now I'd like to add a wifi card because I may have to move it
out of the router's location.

The machine has the following card slots:

1 PCI 124-pin, 32-bit, 33mHz slot, unoccupied

2 PCI Express x1 36-pin slots, both unoccuped

1 PCI Express x16 164-pin slot, occupied by my video card

Can you suggest a compatible video card for this machine?

Thanks.
Old November 29th 19, 10:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on December 13, 2019.

Boris wrote in
.198:

The last post I see on this ng is dated 8/10/2019. Don't know if anyone

else
is lurking, but just in case, here's my question:

Studio XPS 8100 Desktop, circa 2010

It's been running great 24x7 all these years. It's connected to a

router via
ethernet, and now I'd like to add a wifi card because I may have to move

it
out of the router's location.

The machine has the following card slots:

1 PCI 124-pin, 32-bit, 33mHz slot, unoccupied

2 PCI Express x1 36-pin slots, both unoccuped

1 PCI Express x16 164-pin slot, occupied by my video card

Can you suggest a compatible video card for this machine?

Thanks.

Or, do wifi dongles work as well as cards? Also, my wifi router is a
Linksys WRT-54G.
Old November 30th 19, 05:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
.198:

The last post I see on this ng is dated 8/10/2019. Don't know if anyone

else
is lurking, but just in case, here's my question:

Studio XPS 8100 Desktop, circa 2010

It's been running great 24x7 all these years. It's connected to a

router via
ethernet, and now I'd like to add a wifi card because I may have to move

it
out of the router's location.

The machine has the following card slots:

1 PCI 124-pin, 32-bit, 33mHz slot, unoccupied

2 PCI Express x1 36-pin slots, both unoccuped

1 PCI Express x16 164-pin slot, occupied by my video card

Can you suggest a compatible video card for this machine?

Thanks.

Or, do wifi dongles work as well as cards? Also, my wifi router is a
Linksys WRT-54G.

I've used a couple of dongles that worked OK, not the fastest though but
they were old ones. Used to be able to get a usable signal at close to
900 feet with no other antenna.

Modern ones are likely better. But a card would give you the option of
an external antenna.

--
Steve W.
Old November 30th 19, 05:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on December 14, 2019.

"Steve W." wrote in :

Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
.198:

[...]

I've used cards very successfully on other older machines. Nevvr used a
dongle.

By the way, I use two free news servers, eternal-september.org and
aioe.org. Regardless of the news reader I use, Xnews or Thunderbird, the
latest post I see is 8/10/2019. Has this dell group been that quiet? Is
that also the latest post you see?

Thanks.
Old November 30th 19, 08:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Boris wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in :

Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
.198:

[...]

Yeah it's been dead for a while. I think many have forgotten usenet even
exists any longer.

--
Steve W.
Old December 5th 19, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 11:09:29 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
.198:

[...]

With an elderly WRT-54G, you are likely to see little difference in performance between a USB wifi dongle and a PCI wifi card. I have used inexpensive USB wifi dongle with antennas to good effect, autodetected with drivers by Windows 10... Ben Myers

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Do desktop wifi cards have external antenna connection? [email protected] Dell Computers 1 February 5th 08 12:26 AM
wifi pc card Me[_4_] Dell Computers 11 January 23rd 08 10:12 PM
P5WD2 and WIFI TV card. Chris 38 Asus Motherboards 0 January 29th 06 09:02 AM
What is the difference between an ASUS WiFi card and any other WiFi card? Philadelphia Frank Asus Motherboards 2 February 6th 05 01:53 AM
wifi card for P4P800 David Shorthouse Asus Motherboards 3 November 25th 03 09:21 AM