crossed fingers on Samsung 96x EVO

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 1st 19, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default crossed fingers on Samsung 96x EVO

Full circle as my first SSD was a samsung 128G Samsung
(Discounting the first Samsung 64G, since that's too old and small to
be comprehensible.) Then Crucial.

This was all MLC and old MLC, way before much else was around

Then an HP "planar MLC" which is newer but an older model from a sale
last year that the same model HP has replaced with no-planar MLC.

An "almost up to date HP", IOW, but nothing yet eclipsing 256G (the
size of both Crucial and HP).

Found this for $100 this week:

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC

Bigger/better deal, though with AMD controllers I may never see it
perform w/in specs (at a non-NCQ, non-ACHI provision some claim less
than optimal probably hinging on Intel and W10).

That the 1T is no worse than any the above for performance in native
IDE (perhaps formatted from Win7), and yet widely accessible for a few
operating systems I use should be good enough.

I do believe a possible 3yr instead of 5yr warrantee, for asking that
much, is price-worthy at a minimum three times more the (TBW)
longevitity of 3-bit MLC over TLC or lower yet grades of consummer SSD
memory.

Hence a bit of bet or possibly less of the crossing-fingers aspect
with a closely priced Crucial MX500 series.