Two Local Area Connections?

Old February 19th 04, 10:51 PM
Pat Conover

Default Two Local Area Connections?

Hi all, Today I checked windows task manager and on networking it said that
I had two Local Area Connections, Connection 1 at 100Mbps (my standard LAN
connection to Linksys cable modem router/hub) and Connection 2 at 30 Mbps.
I never ever saw two local area connections before on my two peer to peer
networked Dell computers running XP SP1, Norton AV and Zone Alarm, which are
all current. I even have the six or so Norton AV updates this week alone!
I also use SpyBot and Adaware for spyware scans.

Could a virus/worm sneaked through all my security, when I wasn't looking?
Or am I being paranoid? Thanks, Pat Conover

Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.

Old February 20th 04, 04:36 PM
Pat Conover

Leythos, Only the network card to a hard wired LAN and Cable Router WAN, no
wireless. Task Manager doesn't show the IP address.

Pat Conover
Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.

"Leythos" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hi all, Today I checked windows task manager and on networking it said

that
I had two Local Area Connections, Connection 1 at 100Mbps (my standard

LAN
connection to Linksys cable modem router/hub) and Connection 2 at 30

Mbps.
I never ever saw two local area connections before on my two peer to

peer
networked Dell computers running XP SP1, Norton AV and Zone Alarm, which

are
all current. I even have the six or so Norton AV updates this week

alone!
I also use SpyBot and Adaware for spyware scans.

Could a virus/worm sneaked through all my security, when I wasn't

looking?
Or am I being paranoid? Thanks, Pat Conover

Does the machine have wired and wireless network adapters?

Was Connection 2 enabled? What was it's IP address?

(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Old February 20th 04, 05:11 PM
Pat Conover

Leythos, When I saw the second connection and got a little concerned, I
shutdown the PC, turned off all power and then did a cold boot. The second
connection hasn't shown up again, yet.

I only have the one NIC LAN connection and never created any others, that I
know of, so I don't think that there are any deleted connections to be
"re-found". I don't have any VPN or other forms of connections. How can I
check for second connection and delete it if necessary.

Pat Conover
Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.

"Leythos" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Leythos, Only the network card to a hard wired LAN and Cable Router WAN,

no
wireless. Task Manager doesn't show the IP address.

I've seen two cases where this happens - one is where a connection gets
deleted or "re-found" and the second one is created. The other is where
you have a VPN or some other form of connection created to connect to
other systems (dial-up, VPN, etc...).

If you didn't create the second connection, delete it and watch for it
to come back.

(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Old February 20th 04, 09:50 PM
Pat Conover

Leythos, Already ran both Spybot S&D and Adaware, no problems. Still
confused.

Pat Conover
Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.

"Leythos" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Leythos, When I saw the second connection and got a little concerned, I
shutdown the PC, turned off all power and then did a cold boot. The

second
connection hasn't shown up again, yet.

I only have the one NIC LAN connection and never created any others,

that I
know of, so I don't think that there are any deleted connections to be
"re-found". I don't have any VPN or other forms of connections. How

can I
check for second connection and delete it if necessary.

Pat, I would suggest that you download and run Spybot Search & Destroy
from http://www.safer-networking.org

I've used it without fail for searching out all sorts of hidden things.

Also, update your AV software and reboot into SAFE MODE and run a full
system scan.

If you reply, please bottom post, it allows for proper reading of the
thread.

Thanks

(Remove 999 to reply to me)