Adding a USB port & USB 2.0 questions

Old December 2nd 03, 05:58 PM
JR

Default Adding a USB port & USB 2.0 questions

I'm going to be picking up an external hard drive, which uses a USB 2.0
interface. First, what is the difference between a regular USB and USB 2.0
interface?

Also, currently I have two USB ports on my computer and both are in use by
other equipment (digital camera and game controller).

Is there a way to add another USB insert so that there is room for my hard
drive...sort of like a splitter? If so, does this affect the response of
anything using USB...in other words because it's being overloaded with too
much hardware using it?

If there is no such thing as a splitter for USB, what other options do I
have if I currently have only two USB ports?

Thanks for any help with this. Hope this makes some sense =)

Old December 2nd 03, 06:40 PM
kony

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:58:44 GMT, "JR" wrote:

I'm going to be picking up an external hard drive, which uses a USB 2.0
interface. First, what is the difference between a regular USB and USB 2.0
interface?

.... a vague question
USB2 is (in-use) about 20X faster, but even faster "on paper",
theoretically. USB 2 requires a USB2 controller of course, which it
would seem you don't have, would need to have a satisfactory
use/experience with the new external drive unless you'll only be
moving very few small files.

Also, currently I have two USB ports on my computer and both are in use by
other equipment (digital camera and game controller).

We can assume these are USB 1 devices.

Is there a way to add another USB insert so that there is room for my hard
drive...sort of like a splitter?

Even if it were possible, which it isn't but a hub would be possible,
you're going to get very slow USB 1 throughput.

If so, does this affect the response of
anything using USB...in other words because it's being overloaded with too
much hardware using it?

If there is no such thing as a splitter for USB, what other options do I
have if I currently have only two USB ports?

Thanks for any help with this. Hope this makes some sense =)

Add a USB 2.0 PCI card to the system. Preferribly one with the NEC
chipset, as an example:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=15-102-006
Old December 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
Muttly

Hey.
"Regular" USB (USB1.1) and USB 2 are pretty much the same except USB 2 is
way faster, I'm not sure of the exact speeds but USB 2 is around 480mb/s,
USB 1 is about a 10th of that speed (again I'm not certain!). USB can
support over 100 connected devices.
Basically you've got 2 options. 1, buy a USB hub but assuming you've got USB
1 you won't get the best performance from your hard drive. 2, buy a USB 2
pci expansion card, this will let you existing ports as they are and give
you the best possible performance from your new harddrive.
Martin.

news

Old December 2nd 03, 08:35 PM
JR

Thanks a lot guys for your input. I'll have to go with a hub or the PCI USB
insert. Whatever's got the bettter deal/rebate =)

"Muttly" wrote in message
Hey.
"Regular" USB (USB1.1) and USB 2 are pretty much the same except USB 2 is
way faster, I'm not sure of the exact speeds but USB 2 is around 480mb/s,
USB 1 is about a 10th of that speed (again I'm not certain!). USB can
support over 100 connected devices.
Basically you've got 2 options. 1, buy a USB hub but assuming you've got

USB
1 you won't get the best performance from your hard drive. 2, buy a USB 2
pci expansion card, this will let you existing ports as they are and give
you the best possible performance from your new harddrive.
Martin.

news

Old December 2nd 03, 10:34 PM
John M.

"JR" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Thanks a lot guys for your input. I'll have to go with a hub or the PCI

USB
insert. Whatever's got the bettter deal/rebate =)

A hub is not going to help you in this case as it appears your internal USB
is USB1.
You need the PCI USB2 card.
Also, please do not feed the rebate scam...
Thanks,
John

Old December 2nd 03, 11:51 PM
DaveW

USB 2.0 is 36 times faster than USB 1.1. You need that much speed to run a
harddrive over a USB connection. But your computer has to have a USB 2.0
controller in order to use it.

--
DaveW

news