Info on Intel Atom Pine View

Old December 4th 09, 06:15 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
boe

Default Info on Intel Atom Pine View

Hello,

I saw some info that new Pine View processors are coming out. I don't know
much about Atom processors at this point although one of my clients bought a
Vaio X and it is super light and super slim and pretty dang slow
unfortunately. The unit came with a 2GHz Atom processor. Anyone know if
64 bit or 2.x processors are coming any time soon? From what I read the
Pine View processors coming out are only 1.6 and 1.8Ghz. I didn't see
anything about their bits so I'm guessing the new ones are still 32 bit.

Old December 5th 09, 11:50 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

boe wrote:
Hello,

I saw some info that new Pine View processors are coming out. I don't
know much about Atom processors at this point although one of my clients
bought a Vaio X and it is super light and super slim and pretty dang
slow unfortunately. The unit came with a 2GHz Atom processor. Anyone
know if 64 bit or 2.x processors are coming any time soon? From what I
read the Pine View processors coming out are only 1.6 and 1.8Ghz. I
didn't see anything about their bits so I'm guessing the new ones are
still 32 bit.

Some Atoms are already 64-bit.

Intel Atom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_A...t_architecture

Yousuf Khan
Old December 7th 09, 02:24 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

boe wrote:
Hello,

I saw some info that new Pine View processors are coming out. I don't
know much about Atom processors at this point although one of my clients
bought a Vaio X and it is super light and super slim and pretty dang
slow unfortunately. The unit came with a 2GHz Atom processor. Anyone
know if 64 bit or 2.x processors are coming any time soon? From what I
read the Pine View processors coming out are only 1.6 and 1.8Ghz. I
didn't see anything about their bits so I'm guessing the new ones are
still 32 bit.

Since many of the family, pretty much the new ones, are already 64 bit, that
doesn't make a lot of sense.

Please read the Atom specs on the Intel site.
Old December 7th 09, 04:39 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
boe

Thanks - I didn't know that. Hopefully they'll consider boosting the speed
a bit. While I do love the idea of a super slim, super light laptop, the
processor maxes out just copying files on the network.

Old December 7th 09, 04:40 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
boe

Yes 64 bit - thanks. Unfortunately no news about any fast Atom
processors. I understand the goal of cutting power but if your computer is
barely faster than when it isn't powered on, saving power doesn't do much
good.

Old December 7th 09, 08:23 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

boe wrote:
Thanks - I didn't know that. Hopefully they'll consider boosting the
speed a bit. While I do love the idea of a super slim, super light
laptop, the processor maxes out just copying files on the network.

Yeah, that's not surprising, the processor is really an updated modern
day 80386 processor, by its design philosophy. It has no superscalar
instructions, in order to save the maximum number of Watts. It's updated
by the fact that it is sometimes 64-bit, runs at higher frequencies,
uses newer memory types, etc.

If you want modern day performance, you can do a whole lot better by
going with a mobile Pentium dual-core or Athlon dual-core. Don't expect
the next-generation Atom to blow you away either.

Yousuf Khan
Old December 7th 09, 06:01 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Dec 7, 3:23*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Yeah, that's not surprising, the processor is really an updated modern
day 80386 processor, by its design philosophy. It has no superscalar
instructions, in order to save the maximum number of Watts. It's updated
by the fact that it is sometimes 64-bit, runs at higher frequencies,
uses newer memory types, etc.

As far as I know, Silverthorne was dual-issue, so Atom has always been
superscalar. "Updated 386" doesn't seem either helpful or accurate.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3276&p=7

Robert.

Intel Atom N270 EEEPC .. which version of linux should I install? iheartmyeeepcnetbook Intel 2 December 7th 09 02:28 AM
Atom motherboard with more than 1 PCI slot Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) Homebuilt PC's 1 July 29th 08 10:07 AM
Intel Device View w/510T isn't requesting password [email protected] Intel 2 September 6th 06 12:09 AM
pine tl lx01 Merco General 1 September 24th 04 01:07 PM
Can I use Intel CPUs for my new atom bomb? Ernest Nafkin Intel 5 April 20th 04 03:02 AM