Hardcore gamers - Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MO GDDR3 - great power forold computers

Old September 23rd 08, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Overnight

Default Hardcore gamers - Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MO GDDR3 - great power forold computers

I.

New subject in forum for those with an old computer : there is a
response with RADEON HD 3850.
See here : http://overnight.110mb.com/nightforu...ead.php?tid=23
Old September 23rd 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Overnight:

New subject in forum for those with an old computer : there is a
response with RADEON HD 3850.

How great, another Radeon AGP card which isn't supported by the standard
Catalyst drivers any more.

IMHO the best card for AGP is still the Nvidia 7800GT. Probably not the
fastest, but at least supported by the standard Nvidia drivers. Besides
that, it's probably time to just give up on AGP and move on.

Benjamin
Old September 24th 08, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Overnight:

New subject in forum for those with an old computer : there is a
response with RADEON HD 3850.

How great, another Radeon AGP card which isn't supported by the
standard Catalyst drivers any more.

IMHO the best card for AGP is still the Nvidia 7800GT. Probably not
the fastest, but at least supported by the standard Nvidia drivers.
Besides that, it's probably time to just give up on AGP and move on.

Benjamin

I'm using the 8.7s on an X850XT PE (AGP), and it works just fine. I
think they've been past that problem for a while, at least for me. I do
like the 7800GT, but you have to admit the 3850 would mop the floor with
it.

Old September 24th 08, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

7800GT? You mean the Gainward 7800GS+ (which wasn't distributed in North
America)? I don't remember if this card could actually use regular nVidia
drivers. The XFX 7950GT AGP certainly required a hacked INF file.

Old September 24th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* First of One:
7800GT? You mean the Gainward 7800GS+

Yes, sorry, of course it's the 7800GS series.

(which wasn't distributed in North
America)? I don't remember if this card could actually use regular nVidia
drivers. The XFX 7950GT AGP certainly required a hacked INF file.

I have a PNY 7800GS AGP in an old system and it works fine with the
standard Nvidia drivers.

Benjamin
Old September 24th 08, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* KCB:

I'm using the 8.7s on an X850XT PE (AGP), and it works just fine.

Sure, since for cards up to the the X850 series there still is AGP
support in the drivers. But there is not for X1xxxx and higher cards
(sorry, should have been more specific with that). That means for X1950
AGP cards and also for the 3850 AGP card you rely on the card maker to
provide updates drivers.

I do like the 7800GT, but you have to admit the 3850 would mop the floor with
it.

Of course, and that's what makes it so bad that there is no AGP support
for these cards in the standard Catalyst drivers.

Benjamin
Old September 24th 08, 07:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
nospam

"First of One" wrote in message ...
7800GT? You mean the Gainward 7800GS+ (which wasn't distributed in North
America)? I don't remember if this card could actually use regular nVidia
drivers.

Yes it can/does. I've had one on my main system (purchased from a UK
company) for the last two years. Running Forceware 177.92 now, but it's
run fine with all previous Forceware versions going back to v93.81.

And Benjamin, the 7800GS and 7800GS+ are two different animals. The
GS+ is a 20-pipe, G71/7900GT core AGP card. Gainward was the only
company to produce it, and (from what they claimed) it was called the
7800GS+ because at the time, Nvidia wouldn't allow them to use the
7900 moniker for an AGP card.

The far more common 7800GS is 16-pipe/G70 core.

The card is stupid fast, at least for the games I run. On a P4 Northwood
at 3.75GHz the GS+ has been fast enough for everything I've thrown at it,
even Oblivion and Crysis. Although I'm sure it's no match for the new
ATI.

Old September 24th 08, 06:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* nospam:

And Benjamin, the 7800GS and 7800GS+ are two different animals. The
GS+ is a 20-pipe, G71/7900GT core AGP card. Gainward was the only
company to produce it, and (from what they claimed) it was called the
7800GS+ because at the time, Nvidia wouldn't allow them to use the
7900 moniker for an AGP card.

Ah, ok. I wasn't aware of that, I thought that's just another
overclocked 7800GS.

The far more common 7800GS is 16-pipe/G70 core.

That's what I have, and while it's no comparison for modern cards it
still performs quite well in current games (except Crysis)

The card is stupid fast, at least for the games I run. On a P4 Northwood
at 3.75GHz the GS+ has been fast enough for everything I've thrown at it,
even Oblivion and Crysis. Although I'm sure it's no match for the new
ATI.

Maybe not, but higher performance doesn't help when the driver support
just sucks.

Benjamin
Old September 26th 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Hubert H.P. Wachter:

ONLY the HD2xxx and HD3xxx AGP cards need the special (ATI provided)
Hotfix driver. All others (including X19xx) work just fine with
regular ATI drivers:
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...asp?deptID=894

Yes, you're right, the Hotfix for the X1950 comes with the Catalyst
driver since 8.2:

http://ati.supportcenteronline.com/i...estionID=31542

I had a X1950pro AGP running fine up to driver 8.5 and now am running
a HD3850 AGP with 8.9 just as fine. No trouble at all.

I have three X1950 AGP and two HD 2400 AGP in my friends' environment,
and none of them works as flawless as their PCIe counterparts (sometimes
causes instability, and often just low performance or 3D gfx errors).
If you look around the amount of problems with Radeon AGP cards X1xxx
and up is quite high, and ATI support already said that AGP is dead and
thus has very low priority for them and that the AGP fix will have a
very low update rate.

So no, even when I myself would be interested in a very fast AGP card
for one of my older systems, for AGP I wouldn't go down the ATI route
any more. Of course it's probably just a matter of time until Nvidia
does the same with AGP support.

Benjamin
Old September 26th 08, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus[_3_]

"Hubert H.P. Wachter" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 02:57:31 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

support in the drivers. But there is not for X1xxxx and higher cards
(sorry, should have been more specific with that). That means for X1950
AGP cards and also for the 3850 AGP card you rely on the card maker to
provide updates drivers.

ONLY the HD2xxx and HD3xxx AGP cards need the special (ATI provided)
Hotfix driver. All others (including X19xx) work just fine with
regular ATI drivers:
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...asp?deptID=894

I had a X1950pro AGP running fine up to driver 8.5 and now am running
a HD3850 AGP with 8.9 just as fine. No trouble at all.

Try using an AGP X1650 Pro card and then report back. It does not work with
the Cat's past 7.5....tried every and all hotfix and Cat there was. Just
because an X1950 series AGP card works, does not mean all 1XXX AGP cards do.