Is 1-long 2-short beeps always indicate the vid-card?

Old August 28th 08, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

Default Is 1-long 2-short beeps always indicate the vid-card?

With an Award BIOS ( Asus A8N-E) I understand
that the beep code: 1-long and 2-short beeps
during the start of post means that an error couldn't
be displayed because the video isn't available.

Any other than the vid-card problem that is likely
to be the cause? It makes sense that it could be
something else, but wouldn't it have it's own code,
like one for the memory or CPU fault?

My HTPC just quit, with no real symptoms and
gives me that beep code on startup now with no
video,or keyboard startup.

Vid-card = ATI X1600Pro PCIE 512M

I don't have a spare PCIE vid-card on hand, so
I'll have to swap one out of another working system,
to isolate the problem. Thought it might be worth
checking if anyone had run across this sort of thing.

Luck;
Ken

Old August 28th 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
With an Award BIOS ( Asus A8N-E) I understand
that the beep code: 1-long and 2-short beeps
during the start of post means that an error couldn't
be displayed because the video isn't available.

Any other than the vid-card problem that is likely
to be the cause? It makes sense that it could be
something else, but wouldn't it have it's own code,
like one for the memory or CPU fault?

My HTPC just quit, with no real symptoms and
gives me that beep code on startup now with no
video,or keyboard startup.

Vid-card = ATI X1600Pro PCIE 512M

I don't have a spare PCIE vid-card on hand, so
I'll have to swap one out of another working system,
to isolate the problem. Thought it might be worth
checking if anyone had run across this sort of thing.

Luck;
Ken

The few places that I've searched say that is a video error. Just
google "award beep codes".

Old August 28th 08, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

With an Award BIOS ( Asus A8N-E) I understand
that the beep code: 1-long and 2-short beeps
during the start of post means that an error couldn't
be displayed because the video isn't available.

Unplug and re-plug in the card
Does the card require its own supply?

On my Asus M2N-E, I need to re-seat the modem card
every time I reseat the Radeon 4850 or the system
would refuse to boot.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.2
Old August 28th 08, 04:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
With an Award BIOS ( Asus A8N-E) I understand
that the beep code: 1-long and 2-short beeps
during the start of post means that an error couldn't
be displayed because the video isn't available.

Unplug and re-plug in the card

No joy after three or four tries.

Does the card require its own supply?

No it doesn't.

Old August 28th 08, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"KCB" wrote in message
. ..

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
[...]

Right, but I'm not sure that equals a problem with the
video card. It might mean there was an error caused by
a fault on the MB that prevents the video from reaching
the video card.

Luck;
Ken

Old August 28th 08, 09:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Then maybe your VGA card has cooked itself because of poor ventilation.
Do you have a spare display card?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.2
^ ^ 16:49:01 up 21 days 1:01 3 users load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
? ? (CSSA):
Old August 28th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
With an Award BIOS ( Asus A8N-E) I understand
that the beep code: 1-long and 2-short beeps
during the start of post means that an error couldn't
be displayed because the video isn't available.

Any other than the vid-card problem that is likely
to be the cause? It makes sense that it could be
something else, but wouldn't it have it's own code,
like one for the memory or CPU fault?

My HTPC just quit, with no real symptoms and
gives me that beep code on startup now with no
video,or keyboard startup.

Vid-card = ATI X1600Pro PCIE 512M

I don't have a spare PCIE vid-card on hand, so
I'll have to swap one out of another working system,
to isolate the problem. Thought it might be worth
checking if anyone had run across this sort of thing.

Luck;
Ken

Ok, swapped out the Video Card and it worked fine in
another A8N-E.

Returned it to the original A8N-E (my HTPC), and tried
running on one of my memory sticks (a matched pair of
Corsair XMS Platinum Series XMS3200 1024MB 400Hz).
It looks like one of them is bad, or at least I only have the
problem when a particular stick of the pair is being used.

So to answer my own question: No, the Award beep code
1-long 2-short can mean something else is wrong besides
the video card. ( Maybe that should be "before" the video
card.)

I'll test the "bad" stick in another system, using a test
program, just in case. Well, it looks like I'll need to get
another stick, to get my second gig and dual channel
back. In the mean time the HTPC functions and media
server functions seem to be working fine on 1GB single
channel.

Thanks to all.

Luck;
Ken