Want INF file that excludes nView (or any other way to avoid nView)

Old March 9th 08, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
tasTDasd

Default Want INF file that excludes nView (or any other way to avoid nView)

I'm going to mount an FX 5200 PCI video card on a very old Win98 SE PC.
I've got the driver from the manufacturer (81.98 for Win9x/me).

I don't want nView. But, to my knowledge, there is no option to cancel
nView at driver install on Win9x/me. But I heard that you may modify the
INF file to get rid of nView, which I'm interested to try myself.

It's surely very helpful to consult an INF file that's already modified.
But I can not find one. (I've checked NGO who is said to have produced
some no-nView INF's)

So, can anybody point me to a no-nView INF?

Or provide any instructions on how to avoid/remove nView?

Old March 11th 08, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Backspace

David Vair wrote:
I just delete the entry in the registry that activates it when windows starts.

Why don't you just use msconfig to stop it from loading instead?
Old March 12th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB

"Backspace" wrote in message
David Vair wrote:
I just delete the entry in the registry that activates it when
windows starts.

Why don't you just use msconfig to stop it from loading instead?

msconfig just moves it to another nonloading key. Why keep it at all if
you don't want it?

Old March 12th 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

David Vair wrote:
I just delete the entry in the registry that activates it when
windows starts.

Why don't you just use msconfig to stop it from loading instead?

msconfig just moves it to another nonloading key. Why keep it at all if
you don't want it?

One reason you want to keep things where they were installed is when you
go to uninstall them the uninstaller doesn't get confused and not do
the uninstall properly.

Another reason you might want to disable, rather than delete, is that
you might need the functionality provided by the applet or service in a
yet unseen or unforeseeable way.

nWiz will be replicated upon install if it is deactivated, so you will
get multiple persistent copies in your registry, it's not just academic
musing.

But keep the nvidia driver helper service running, whatever else you
delete/deactivate, it is a good service.
Old March 15th 08, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
David Vair wrote:
I just delete the entry in the registry that activates it when
windows starts.
Why don't you just use msconfig to stop it from loading instead?

msconfig just moves it to another nonloading key. Why keep it at all
if you don't want it?

One reason you want to keep things where they were installed is when
you go to uninstall them the uninstaller doesn't get confused and not
do the uninstall properly.

Deleting an entry from the Run key in the registry does nothing to the
uninstall program.

Another reason you might want to disable, rather than delete, is that
you might need the functionality provided by the applet or service in
a yet unseen or unforeseeable way.

I'll give you this one. Although, nView probably wouldn't fit into the
category, and the registry entry can always be re-created if necessary.

nWiz will be replicated upon install if it is deactivated, so you will
get multiple persistent copies in your registry, it's not just
academic musing.

Deleting the Run key would add entries to the registry???

Old March 17th 08, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Backspace

KCB wrote:

msconfig just moves it to another nonloading key. Why keep it at all if
you don't want it?

Because you might decide later that you want it back and it is far
easier to just use msconfig than editing the registry.
Old March 17th 08, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Backspace

David Vair wrote:

Exactly

David

Wow! I just freed up 1K of space by deleting the reg entry. Sorry, don't
see the logic in that.
Old March 17th 08, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Backspace

David Vair wrote:

I don't use NView at all, so why bother even having it load? Thats why I delete it. If you want it
to stay then go ahead and keep it. The OP was asking about NView options and I told him what I do.
I also delete the taskbar entry as I don't need the icon in the system tray, buts that just what I
do everyone is free to run their own system as they seem fit.

But my point is that you can just stop it from loading with msconfig and
you won't need to delete anything and it will not be in your taskbar or
using any resources. If later you decide you want to use it you just go
to msconfig and enable it again.
Old March 17th 08, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
tasTDasd

Just found this thread is still on-going.

OK. The reason why I don't want nView is that I want to save as much HDD
space as possible. The capacity of the HDD on that very old PC is only
2.5G, and almost exhausted.

Old March 24th 08, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Backspace

David Vair wrote:

Yes, I could do it that way, I just choose not too. That's what nice about computer systems, you
can set them up and run them anyway you want. Some people like to Overclock, some don't. Neither
way is wrong its just personal preference.

That's fine, just next time don't try to make it look like your way is
the better way.

Nview... Paul Coene Nvidia Videocards 3 January 6th 04 12:43 PM
nview? en tv-out erik Nvidia Videocards 4 September 6th 03 11:22 AM
What the heck is nView? Gary Seven Nvidia Videocards 2 August 27th 03 08:45 AM
don't use nview flame_thrower Nvidia Videocards 1 August 23rd 03 07:07 PM
NView!!!!!!!!!! Strutter Nvidia Videocards 7 July 28th 03 11:01 AM