Super Slocket III CPU Fan: socket or slot type?

Old October 5th 03, 04:07 PM
John & Becky Hanagan

Default Super Slocket III CPU Fan: socket or slot type?

I have a new super slocket iii. I can't find which type of heatsink and fan
to use, a socket or slot type? My current cpu is a pii in a box. Does
anyone know which to use?

Old October 5th 03, 04:43 PM
Fishface

John Hanagan wrote:

I have a new super slocket iii. I can't find which type of heatsink
and fan to use, a socket or slot type? My current cpu is a pii in
a box. Does anyone know which to use?

You need the socket type. Many of the aftermarket types are
very large-- with the slocket, you need to check your clearance
as parts mounted on the motherboard and RAM slots are often
a problem. Depending upon your CPU choice and overclocking
plans, the stock retail kit fan if often adequate. I even slow the
retail Tualatin HSFs with five diodes (to drop the voltage) to make
them slower and quieter-- and that's with a 33% overclock. I
don't know what your motherboard is, and it sounds like you
already have your slocket. In case you do not, you may wish to
consider the Tualatin Celeron upgrade with an Upgradeware
Slot-T adapter.
www.upgradeware.com www.strattoncomputer.com

Old October 5th 03, 10:03 PM
Spajky

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 08:43:14 -0700, "Fishface" ?
wrote:

John Hanagan wrote:

I have a new super slocket iii. I can't find which type of heatsink
and fan to use, a socket or slot type? My current cpu is a pii in
a box. Does anyone know which to use?

You need the socket type. Many of the aftermarket types are
very large-- with the slocket, you need to check your clearance
as parts mounted on the motherboard and RAM slots are often
a problem. Depending upon your CPU choice and overclocking
plans, the stock retail kit fan if often adequate. I even slow the
retail Tualatin HSFs with five diodes (to drop the voltage) to make
them slower and quieter-- and that's with a 33% overclock. I
don't know what your motherboard is, and it sounds like you
already have your slocket. In case you do not, you may wish to
consider the Tualatin Celeron upgrade with an Upgradeware
Slot-T adapter.
www.upgradeware.com www.strattoncomputer.com

SuperSlotlet-III :
that slotket is one of the best for Tuallie mod (only needs additional
g35-g37 shorting on the back of the slotket; I use it ....

socket cooler is ok, there are also slotket coolers, but dificult to
find; for myself I modded a p2secc2 cooler for horizontal mount as can
be seen on my site ....was some work to do that ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old October 6th 03, 12:34 AM
Fishface

Spajky

SuperSlotlet-III :
that slotket is one of the best for Tuallie mod (only needs
additional g35-g37 shorting on the back of the slotket; I use it ....

You still need to pull or insulate pins, right? I forgot about
modding slockets-- I have become spoiled by the Slot-T,
having bought three!

Old October 6th 03, 04:44 AM
P2B

Spajky wrote:

SuperSlotlet-III :
that slotket is one of the best for Tuallie mod (only needs additional
g35-g37 shorting on the back of the slotket; I use it ....

I wouldn't - it doesn't have a voltage clamp chip (TVC16222) to hold the
CMOS signals down to the correct voltage for S370 processors. I've seen
two processors die on slokets without voltage clamps, so I don't trust them.

Use a Slot-T. They work great with any Intel Coppermine or Tualatin S370
processor.

Old October 6th 03, 09:28 AM
Spajky

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:34:02 -0700, "Fishface" ?
wrote:

Spajky

SuperSlotlet-III :
that slotket is one of the best for Tuallie mod (only needs
additional g35-g37 shorting on the back of the slotket; I use it ....

You still need to pull or insulate pins, right? I forgot about
modding slockets--

sure & also making a ak4 - an11 bridge too ...

I have become spoiled by the Slot-T,
having bought three!

for that price, it was wise to buy all 3 ... :-)
(I have also a spare SS-III if something goes south ... :-)

Old October 6th 03, 09:28 AM
Spajky

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:44:57 -0400, P2B wrote:

SuperSlotlet-III :

I wouldn't - it doesn't have a voltage clamp chip (TVC16222) to hold the
CMOS signals down to the correct voltage for S370 processors. I've seen
two processors die on slokets without voltage clamps, so I don't trust them.

I have see (heard) about many died Tuallies, but not because of that:
broken pins, wrong bridge, too high voltage, shothing pins, blown
voltage regulators & finally: wrong removal of the IHS ... or simply
fallen off pins (happened once even to me) .

Yes, it is better to
Use a Slot-T. They work great with any Intel Coppermine or Tualatin S370
processor.

good to know that works also no problem with Cu-Mines ...

sure, Slot-T is a safe bet if is available in own country, in mine is
not & expences are higher getting it than modding other one ...

If someone does not have a practice on modding & does not have a
moddable slotket, I also recommend these last times mostly to get
Slot-T ....

Old October 6th 03, 01:21 PM
John & Becky Hanagan

Thanks for all the responses! I'll look for a good socket hs/fan &
double-check the clearance.

Old October 7th 03, 03:09 AM
P2B

Spajky wrote:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:44:57 -0400, P2B wrote:

SuperSlotlet-III :

I wouldn't - it doesn't have a voltage clamp chip (TVC16222) to hold the
CMOS signals down to the correct voltage for S370 processors. I've seen
two processors die on slokets without voltage clamps, so I don't trust them.

I have see (heard) about many died Tuallies, but not because of that:
broken pins, wrong bridge, too high voltage, shothing pins, blown
voltage regulators & finally: wrong removal of the IHS ... or simply
fallen off pins (happened once even to me) .

When Tuallies fail for those reasons, I wouldn't call it died - that's
killed :-)

These were Coppermines, ran for a year or so on slokets without voltage
clamps, not overclocked or overvolted - except for the CMOS signals -
then they just died for no apparent reason. Maybe it wasn't because of
the slokets, but it's very unusual for working processors to fail unless
a voltage spike or power supply/regulator failure takes them out. These
systems showed no other problems after the processors were replaced.

Intel processors seem to tolerate out-of-spec operation quite well, but
IHMO they last longer if you stay within the specs wherever possible -
except for clock speed, of course :-) That why I reduce Vtt whenever I
put a Tualatin on a BX board, especially if it's an expensive P3-S.

Yes, it is better to

Old October 7th 03, 10:44 AM
Spajky

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:09:41 -0400, P2B wrote:

Intel processors seem to tolerate out-of-spec operation quite well, but
IHMO they last longer if you stay within the specs wherever possible -
except for clock speed, of course :-) That why I reduce Vtt whenever I
put a Tualatin on a BX board, especially if it's an expensive P3-S.

sure, that expensive one is quite powerfull & especially if is a Dual
CPU machine, you do not change it so often ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Upgrade for Slot 1and Slocket YanquiDawg General 2 April 6th 04 02:40 PM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann General 15 November 15th 03 06:03 PM
Socket 370 in Slot 1 Gregory L. Hansen General 11 October 31st 03 03:10 AM