biggest bang for buck

Old November 11th 03, 05:21 AM
eng

Default biggest bang for buck

my current system:

P4 1.6A o/c to 2.133, 512mb ram, GF4 Ti4200 128mb video card

which upgrade will give me higher framerates and higher resolutions, a
processor or video card upgrade (not both! due to bugetary constraints)?

appreciate your feedback

Old November 11th 03, 06:42 AM
matthew utt

go with a 9800 pro or a 9600 pro

i have the 9600 non pro and a athlon 2700+xp with 1280 meg ddr 2700 and i
get around 500 raw fps at 1280x1024 with all settings for card as high as
they will go in ut2k3

dont be fooled by all the marketing ploys. the radeon series will pound out
the fps at a reasonable price

Old November 11th 03, 12:50 PM
tom

the ti4200 is still a great card!!!
go for a faster CPU that not only render frames !!!

i have a p4 2.4b @ 2.8ghz 1gb ram with ti4200 and it works great.

specialy ut2003 is very cpu hungry!!!

have fun
tom

Old November 11th 03, 03:46 PM
jeffc

"eng" wrote in message
my current system:

P4 1.6A o/c to 2.133, 512mb ram, GF4 Ti4200 128mb video card

which upgrade will give me higher framerates and higher resolutions, a
processor or video card upgrade (not both! due to bugetary constraints)?

appreciate your feedback

The problem is, you've already got a very good bang-for-buck system. The
problem with good value systems is that they're difficult to get significant
improvements without paying a lot (that's why you bought it in the first
place, right?) But if it were me, the obvious answer would be a new video
card. Of course, that will set you back about $300+.

Old November 11th 03, 05:06 PM
Sept1967

A 9600 Pro is slloooowwer then a GF4 4200. You would have to go 9500Pro or
better.

I have a 4200 still, and it is STILL the best bang for the buck. It even
runs faster, with a faster CPU. Upgrade that first.

. com...

Old November 11th 03, 05:08 PM
Sept1967

What is your CPU?

You can keep your 4200, and gain over a 25% video increase from going to an
Athlon 1GHz CPU to a XP2700+.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-04.html

Old November 11th 03, 05:12 PM
jeffc

"Sept1967" wrote in message
What is your CPU?

You can keep your 4200, and gain over a 25% video increase from going to

an
Athlon 1GHz CPU to a XP2700+.

He already said: P4 1.6A o/c to 2.133

Old November 11th 03, 05:54 PM
chris

"eng" wrote in message
my current system:

P4 1.6A o/c to 2.133, 512mb ram, GF4 Ti4200 128mb video card

which upgrade will give me higher framerates and higher resolutions, a
processor or video card upgrade (not both! due to bugetary constraints)?

appreciate your feedback

I would say get a gigabyte 9600pro for a budget system, esp seeng as its
performance in dx9 games is superior to many other 'budget' cards. No need
not to futureproof even a budget system. The reason I say a gigabyte radeon
9600pro is that they have put the full 8 rendering pipelines (most only have
4 - this is what holds it back compared to 9500). Stick your card on ebay
and get some cashback too.

in the uk they are available from

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...cat=378&page=1

If I were building a new budget system I'd have one of these

chris

Old November 11th 03, 07:39 PM
Simon Law

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:21:48 +0800, "eng"
wrote:

my current system:

P4 1.6A o/c to 2.133, 512mb ram, GF4 Ti4200 128mb video card

which upgrade will give me higher framerates and higher resolutions, a
processor or video card upgrade (not both! due to bugetary constraints)?

appreciate your feedback

Ti4200 still play DirectX 8 games very well. If you would want to play
DirectX 9 games, you gotta upgrade your graphics card, it is a must.

If you intend to play DirectX 8 games, but want faster fps, then
better off upgrade to P4C or P4EE - (Pee4Extreme Expensive - if you
have the money)
Old November 11th 03, 07:50 PM
Simon Law

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:54:58 +0000 (UTC), "chris"
wrote:

Avoid 9600/9600 Pro. These cards have been crippled with narrow memory
bandwidth, your GPU starved with little data to process, like driving
a ferrari car with clutch slam half way down.

You are better off buying non pro 9700 or 9800 by paying extra bit of
$$$ and overclock close to the performance of Pro version. 9500 Pro is
a good card, with a few modification you can turn it into a 9700 Pro
(risk voiding your warranty, but who cares) - hard to find anywhere
nowadays.