Anyone own a GA-8I955X ?

Old August 15th 05, 10:43 PM
DebB

Default Anyone own a GA-8I955X ?

Yes I have one and no sound problems, but my PCI modems can't connect to my
ISP. Both modems work fine elsewhere.

I'm about to uninstall TCP/IP as the very last thing I'll bother with.
Anyway.... back to your problem. Triple check the pin settings on your
sound. I initially had all my sound for the front ports exactly and
correctly back to front.........

Go to Gigabyte for the latest and greatest drivers.

Which OS are you using?
What's a BSOD?

"SafeZone" wrote in message
news:7_303232_2cbff71f06a7b2e1ac98104b1bb84ff7@har dwareforumz.com...
Anyone else own this board?

I just bought it and am having strange IRQ/sound problems (crashes,
BSOD's, etc.)

the board is so new there isnt much support for it, anyone else having
these problems?

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
request

Old August 25th 05, 06:38 PM
dsrs

"SafeZone" wrote:
Anyone else own this board?

I just bought it and am having strange IRQ/sound problems
(crashes, BSOD's, etc.)

the board is so new there isnt much support for it, anyone
else having these problems?

i have 8i955x pro
the first one was doa and they sent me a new one

i installed xp ok...after learning that you have to make diskettes and
press f6 before installing windows to put in the various drivers

ok all was well until i decided to add a second dvd rw. i put this on
the green ide channel and the computer went crazy

an amazing number of different error messages with bsod, none of which
was very useful when i looked them up on google and microsoft

managed to reinstall windows xp sp2 from scratch with all updates and
it all looked good for several days

until i perversely tried to install the dvd again

same problems

there is nothing wrong with this dvd. it worked fine in another
machine.

i tried swapping the 80pin ide cable gigabyte supplied with another
older one i had. same problem

i tried setting the bios to ’fail safe’ settings as well as ’optimal’
but no good.

btw...i did update the bios to version six from gigabyte website,
seemingly successfully

i don’t know what to do

are all gigabyte mobos bad?

during boot when i added the dvd rw it was not detected at all at boot
or in the bios
Old August 25th 05, 06:38 PM
SafeZone

"dsrs" wrote:
[...]

try putting it on the other ide port
(the red one)

this port seemed to be the only one that worked well for me

if you use the green ide port, you have to enable the secondary ide
controller which i forget which option but it is there in bios

right now im running 1 sata drive and 2 optical pata drives, but if i
had more pata drives it owuld probably have taken some more
configuration, but nevertheless i think its still possible
Old August 25th 05, 06:38 PM
dsrs

"SafeZone" wrote:
try putting it on the other ide port
(the red one)

this port seemed to be the only one that worked well for me

if you use the green ide port, you have to enable the
secondary ide controller which i forget which option but it is
there in bios

right now im running 1 sata drive and 2 optical pata drives,
but if i had more pata drives it owuld probably have taken
some more configuration, but nevertheless i think its still
possible

thanks v much for that suggestion, but i should have noted that i
already did that and it does not make any difference.

i suspect i have not loaded the correct drivers for ide but i don’t
know which ones they are, and in any case as soon as i got windows
loaded i did the express install from the gigabyte cd which claims
that it will find all the drivers you need and install them for you
one by one

could it be that you have to hook up all ide deviced BEFORE you
install windows?

that sounds a bit weird to me...and it would suggest that you cannot
add any devices later on

when you add a cd or hard drive, shouldn’t windows do that thing where
it finds new hardware?

instead it just crashed, twice now

i wish gigabyte would post a dummy guide on how to install windows
with their mobo

thanks again
Old August 25th 05, 06:38 PM
SafeZone

"dsrs" wrote:
thanks v much for that suggestion, but i should have noted
that i already did that and it does not make any difference.

i suspect i have not loaded the correct drivers for ide but i
don't know which ones they are, and in any case as soon as i
got windows loaded i did the express install from the gigabyte
cd which claims that it will find all the drivers you need and
install them for you one by one

could it be that you have to hook up all ide deviced BEFORE
you install windows?

that sounds a bit weird to me...and it would suggest that you
cannot add any devices later on

when you add a cd or hard drive, shouldn't windows do that
thing where it finds new hardware?

instead it just crashed, twice now

i wish gigabyte would post a dummy guide on how to install
windows with their mobo

thanks again

im not entirely sure then what the problem is

it may be similar to my issue with irq sharing and occasional crashes
(bsod)

the drives on the gigabye cd should be adequate for the ide controller
and what not, however u might try download the newest ones from their
website

other than that, im about as stumped as you are

I was having some minor issues with burning dvd’s (i think i still
am), where if i was doing anything in the background while burning my
dvd burning would fail with some writing error, not sure if that is
related but possibly (since i only had this problem with this
motherboard)

gigabyte really has some kinks to work out with this motherboard, and
hopefully they will correct them soon
Old August 25th 05, 06:38 PM
dsrs

"SafeZone" wrote:
im not entirely sure then what the problem is

it may be similar to my issue with irq sharing and occasional
crashes (bsod)

the drives on the gigabye cd should be adequate for the ide
controller and what not, however u might try download the
newest ones from their website

other than that, im about as stumped as you are

I was having some minor issues with burning dvd's (i think i
still am), where if i was doing anything in the background
while burning my dvd burning would fail with some writing
error, not sure if that is related but possibly (since i only
had this problem with this motherboard)

gigabyte really has some kinks to work out with this
motherboard, and hopefully they will correct them soon

ok this is getting more like my problem too

the first time i set up the computer, i had two optical drives
installed: one a new plextor sata dvd rw, the other an older plextor
ide cd rw. the latter was working perfectly and i just pulled it out
of another computer.

with windows installed ok, i had burn errors with the cd writer [also
with the dvd writer until i updated the firmware]. the errors were of
the kind i have had before in another machine: power something or
other.

nero said these could be caused by faulty media, and that was the case
with some cd’s. they burned find when i slowed down the speed. another
thing nero suggested was putting the burner on its own electrical
supply, ie not have the power cord inside the computer connected to
any other drives...

at this point it was when i did exactly that: removed the electrical
supply to the cd writer, since that supply was shared with the floppy.
so i hooked all the fans up on one wire and the floppy on another and
the cd writer on its own supply of power.

that’s when all hell broke loose.

as i said i then reinstalled windows without the cd writer and all was
find until i tried to reinstall the cd writer

i just phoned gigabyte in holland, since hong kong is closed now, and
the guy said he never heard of anything like this.