Questionm regarding poor contacts...

Old November 8th 04, 11:35 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Default Questionm regarding poor contacts...

For some odd reason, my Intel board has been acting up- seems to have
something to do with the contacts.. re-seating seems to do the trick.. years
ago, a can of Radio Shack contact cleaner did the trick.. is that still Ok
for spraying everything.. pins/ socket of the CPU, pins/ contacts of memory
sticks, pins/ sockets of drives, ribbon cables, etc...?

Thanks...

--
B'Regards,

Vinnie

Old November 9th 04, 12:26 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:35:59 GMT, "Uncle Vinnie"
wrote:

For some odd reason, my Intel board has been acting up- seems to have
something to do with the contacts.. re-seating seems to do the trick.. years
ago, a can of Radio Shack contact cleaner did the trick.. is that still Ok
for spraying everything.. pins/ socket of the CPU, pins/ contacts of memory
sticks, pins/ sockets of drives, ribbon cables, etc...?

Thanks...

Ive been using something like that. I havent seen anyone post anything
bad about it . Watch someone post something like "You FOOL ! Its just
like putting ACID on your PC !!!!"

I get that corrosion problem a lot. Its really bad around here to the
point its one of the things I do all the time now. Just had an extra
PC I wasnt using for a while sitting in my closet for a few months go
through that. Kept alternating memory readings from one stick 256 megs
to 512 megs - back and forth and acting weird in other ways. After I
cleaned them no problems. Same with the PC Im using now.

The other thing Im having problems with --- those 80 wire ribbons. The
strands and coverings seem to delicate. Being a cheapskate I tend to
use them as long as I can and they get bent up and easily scratched -
the coverings. Ive taken them all out and looked at them and some
getting caught sometimes on some metal edge had parts of the covering
scraped pretty badly in tiny spots and all of them were really creased
and bent up. I finally admitted after going through all of them after
having really bizarre behavior on and off from some hard disks that
they were screwed and replaced them all. They are probably $1-2 for
most people so Id recommend them replacing after they get a bit old
and bent up. For me -- they are actually disappearing around here ,
only round cables sold in most places for around $10+ each and even
the flat ribbon is sold I think at compusa for $12 each.

I bought a bunch of Maddog round cables that were on sale at compusa
for $5.99 each.
Old November 9th 04, 01:34 AM
Shep©

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:35:59 GMT It was a dark and stormy night when
"Uncle Vinnie" wrote :

For some odd reason, my Intel board has been acting up- seems to have
something to do with the contacts.. re-seating seems to do the trick.. years
ago, a can of Radio Shack contact cleaner did the trick.. is that still Ok
for spraying everything.. pins/ socket of the CPU, pins/ contacts of memory
sticks, pins/ sockets of drives, ribbon cables, etc...?

Thanks...

If it's,"Isopropanol" based switch cleaner then it's the correct stuff
to use.Used by Electronic Service Engineers the world over.
I've used it for years.Does scratchy volume controls and also with a
cotton bud is ideal for cleaning tape-heads.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old November 9th 04, 04:23 AM
kony

wrote:

For some odd reason, my Intel board has been acting up- seems to have
something to do with the contacts.. re-seating seems to do the trick.. years
ago, a can of Radio Shack contact cleaner did the trick.. is that still Ok
for spraying everything.. pins/ socket of the CPU, pins/ contacts of memory
sticks, pins/ sockets of drives, ribbon cables, etc...?

Thanks...

It can depend on the amount of dirt, type of dirt, and
amount of work you put into it, what result you'll achieve.
Sometimes the areas on motherboard with the LEAST
dirt/grime/etc are the contacts, because they were
in-contact with the part and that kept most of the dirt out.
If you spray only enough cleaner on to dissolve the dirt but
not enough to wash it away (and shake excess out of socket,
slots, etc) it may just be more evently distributed
afterwards.

One alternative is to carefully wrap a piece of abrasive
paper (like good quality priner paper) around the contacts
of the card/etc and insert, remove from slot a few times.
That's the lazy,
make-least-mess-without-dissassembling-system, approach, but
may be sufficient if it's just a localized problem. Also
inspect contacts, perhaps they're bent out of shape.
Old November 9th 04, 01:21 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Thanks all.. seems if it's not one computer, it's another.. sometimes it's
me that gets bent out of shape!

Oh well, fun with toys!

Thank you again!