[XP SP2 - GeForce2 GTS - 66.93 driver] Why OpenGL does not work correctly ?

Old December 29th 04, 01:41 PM
For Fun

Default [XP SP2 - GeForce2 GTS - 66.93 driver] Why OpenGL does not work correctly ?

Hi everybody,

Here are my system features :

OS: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 version 2600 (Windows XP)
CPU: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1399 MHz
RAM: 256 Mo
MB: MSI KT266 PRO (MS-6380)
GA: Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 64 Mo

In the basic XP/SP2 configuration, I had no graphic problems, all the XP
OpenGL-based screen-savers are working fine.

I installed the last nVidia 66.93 driver and then OpenGL XP screen-savers
stopped working :

+ "3D Objects" only gives a black screen.
+ "Flying Objects" displays in Black and White.
+ "3D Text" displays in Black and White.

but

+ "3D Pipes" is working fine !

I decided to uninstall the 66.93 driver and install the older 44.03 nVidia
driver instead ... and it works !

I think there is something wrong with the new 66.93 nVidia driver.

Old December 29th 04, 08:31 PM
First of One

And you would be correct. However, if the 66.93 drivers give you better
performance/compatibility in GAMES, it's time to weigh your options.

Screensavers only load when you AREN'T using the computer. Is there a need
for pretty graphics.

Old December 30th 04, 07:13 AM

"First of One" wrote in
:

Screensavers only load when you AREN'T using the computer. Is there a
need for pretty graphics.

I don't share your point of view.

If screen-savers don't work correctly, this is because of a deeper problem.
Even if I am not interested in having pretty screen-savers, I am pretty
sure that there is a problem with the OpenGL management.

Anyway, if the problem happens here, it can occur in a game or somewhere
else.

I hope nVidia people will read my mail and see what can be wrong in between
my configuration and the driver.

Old December 31st 04, 05:33 AM
First of One

No driver will be compatible with all programs (though some are closer than
others). Did you try the 66.93 drivers with any OpenGL games?