P4P800E Deluxe/3.2 Prescott Confusion

Old August 29th 04, 03:25 PM

Default P4P800E Deluxe/3.2 Prescott Confusion

Hi

I am hoping that you can help clear up some confusion that I have about
running a P4P800E-Deluxe with a 3.2Ghz Prescott and SP2.

A few things I should make clear before I start are that I don't know what
the BIOS is on the mobo, due to the fact that my processor has not been
delivered yet, but I am assuming that it is BIOS 1001 as all the files on
the CD that came with the mobo seem to be dated at the beginning of the
year.

My confusion is this (I hope I can explain this clearly otherwise we'll all
end up confused!) I recently purchased a the above mentioned mobo and
processor and started reading on this news group about all the issues that
the Prescott has with SP2.

1) According to the ASUS website it 'seems to imply' that BIOS 1001 (I
assume that the BIOS below 1002 is 1001) doesn't support Prescott chips and
that I'd need to upgrade my BIOS for them to work. Is this is case or will a
Prescott chip still work with the BIOS 1001 thus allowing to upgrade to 1002
with out having to find another P4 chip to sub in while I u/g the BIOS?

2) If I do upgrade to BIOS 1002 with this allow me to run XP
SP2(Slipstreamed) on my new machine or will I have to dig out my old XP
SP1(Slipstreamed) CD.

The fun begins next week when the rest of the computer arrives and I start
trying to install stuff. Thus I am trying to head off as many issues in
advance as possible

Cheer for any clarity that my be provided

Rik
Old August 29th 04, 07:31 PM

After closer inspection and a quick root about on the internet, I found what
I assume to be the BIOS chip on the mobo(a small 3/4" by 3/4" chip near the
IDE RAID Promise controller socket) and I think that it is a 1002 bios, in
that on the chip is says P4P8EE 1002, or something along those lines, so
hopefully this board will actually be Prescott ready!
Old August 29th 04, 09:47 PM
Larry

Rik,
My P4P800-E Deluxe with 2.8E Prescott had been running just fine with
XP Pro SP1a and the 1001.004 BIOS that was onboard when the
motherboard was purchased.

It was only when I let Windows update install SP2 that I ran into the
problem with SP2 and 1001.004 not working well together.

So if you load SP1 I'd guess you'll run ok unless there's a difference
because you have the 3.2 Prescott. To be safe, I'd flash the BIOS
with 1002.002 before installing any OS, IMHO.

Good luck.

Larry
Old August 29th 04, 10:20 PM
Ron Reaugh

wrote in message
After closer inspection and a quick root about on the internet, I found

what
I assume to be the BIOS chip on the mobo(a small 3/4" by 3/4" chip near

the
IDE RAID Promise controller socket) and I think that it is a 1002 bios, in
that on the chip is says P4P8EE 1002, or something along those lines, so
hopefully this board will actually be Prescott ready!

Original "Prescott ready" claims may NOT be sufficient for Prescott+SP2
ready. Flash the very latest available BIOS.

Old August 29th 04, 10:21 PM
Ron Reaugh

wrote in message
[...]

It'll work sufficiently to allow you to boot a DOS floppy and flash the very
latest mobo BIOS version which you MUST do.

2) If I do upgrade to BIOS 1002 with this allow me to run XP
SP2(Slipstreamed) on my new machine or will I have to dig out my old XP
SP1(Slipstreamed) CD.

Likely will work.

Old August 29th 04, 10:47 PM

Well I'll find out next week and let you know how it goes!
Old August 30th 04, 09:26 AM

Thanx all I shall keep you updated when I get the rest of the parts

Cheers for all your help

Rik