Bank the core eight in the socket

Old June 5th 17, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Bank the core eight in the socket

Plunk.

Take a 10-yr-old vacuum cleaner, empty the dust canister, and stick in
new electronics into that filth. That's what my case in part feels
like now with a new MB/CPU/MEM. I really should tear it down, also,
when removing the stock CPU cooler, eventually for installing the
Hyper's (a cooler) proprietary metal back-base to the CPU socket.

Well, the 8-cores handle more than do the quads. Higher stream
processing through more audio filtering layers;- It's a source laser
cable signal, ASUS' pathed into a mixer unit for two amps. Averaging
50-watts CPU draw, at a lazy gait, although will quickly go white-hot
on the CPU chipset support sensors (150 deg F. and rising) if cut
loose for heavily stacked and individually core-assigned queue sound
normalization file processing.

Underclocking, reducing or disengaging above-rate turbo base CPU
multiplier -- really isn't much effect there. It still wants to cook
on those MB power chips. A more robust set of chips, albeit, even
though they'll just as readily heat up (as did my older and former
quad), only at more modest demands the heat/efficiency is observably
improved on this Gigabyte AMD3+ MB/CPU pairing.

A good budget choice for an initial impression, except for its chipped
video ATI 300. That sucks white on a queue ball until its bleached:
one nasty white-washed, bland and colorless reduction of all
desktop/application aspects.

Unexpected solution: I slotted in an old $15 fanless PCI-E ATI board,
played the reset CMOS pin-jumper a few times, (verifying it didn't die
and lockup at DMI), first locking out any displays, until getting it
up properly assigned and running. Also early DVI/HDMI standards: I've
an adapter between the board and SVGA cable to a 40" flatpanel
television. Marginally better, to be sure a more focused and densely
purer concentration of colors and contrasts from that board (running
150MHz faster than the mb's stock ATI 300, e.g. not surprisingly
300MHz). For a newer MB, video is really dumpster material compared
to a generation earlier, when vid-chipped MBs were actually popular,
and when Gigabyte chipped both mine with superior NVidea chipsets.

This "new" MB feels possibly like the last of the "legacy era";- hey,
laugh it up: it even has XP drivers. Decent roll your own material,
by all accounts, especially mine if it will hold up to an
unquestionably outstanding longevity for either my other Gigabyte
boards (both a near 10 years of continuous, sic 24/7, usage), which
are work horses still running largely as-new.

Beggars can't be choosey. Nope. Not when edging on a
super-computer's potentiality. I should write a math program, an
equation for 8 cores to figure out how, precisely, $200 is
comparatively what once a $2M setup cost. Right after, of course,
cleaning off the filth stuck on the inside walls of the case. I
suppose.
Old June 5th 17, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

Do you remember hemming and hawing about the $300 involved in upgrading
from a 10MB disc driver to a 20MB one. Years later, $150 upgrade from a
3GB hdd to a 6GB one. I haven't checked but one can probably buy a 1 TB
HDD today for well under $100.
Old June 5th 17, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 03:20:13 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Do you remember hemming and hawing about the $300 involved in upgrading
from a 10MB disc driver to a 20MB one. Years later, $150 upgrade from a
3GB hdd to a 6GB one. I haven't checked but one can probably buy a 1 TB
HDD today for well under $100.

Today's adv:

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail...JAR01BSUwuQ09N

2 TB WD HDD $64.99 with promo code
Old June 5th 17, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

wrote:

Do you remember hemming and hawing about the $300 involved in upgrading
from a 10MB disc driver to a 20MB one. Years later, $150 upgrade from a
3GB hdd to a 6GB one. I haven't checked but one can probably buy a 1 TB
HDD today for well under $100.

The 20MB, yes I do. $300 MFM and RLL drives, and most all of them
after. I'll consider a 1T solid state for the next drive in this
computer.

I didn't hem-haw a bit when putting the operating systems on a primary
64G Samsung SSD into the 8-core build. Beyond which, the fact that
the MB's got 6 SATA ports makes me want to wiggle my toes and
say...oh, hell yes.
Old June 5th 17, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 16:21:14 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

I didn't hem-haw a bit when putting the operating systems on a primary
64G Samsung SSD

That's not clear. A primary drive not in any sense of a partition.
It's a 64G unit and SSD I got 3 years ago on, when prices dropped a
end of year sale (for Samsung) to $49.
Old June 6th 17, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Thomas Lake

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 3:20:55 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Flasherly wrote:

Do you remember hemming and hawing about the $300 involved in upgrading
from a 10MB disc driver to a 20MB one. Years later, $150 upgrade from a
3GB hdd to a 6GB one. I haven't checked but one can probably buy a 1 TB
HDD today for well under $100.

I paid $3495.00 for an 8MB (not GB or TB!) hard drive once. It was worth every penny back then (1979)

Tom L
Old June 6th 17, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 12:20:39 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Lake
wrote:

I paid $3495.00 for an 8MB (not GB or TB!) hard drive once. It was
worth every penny back then (1979)
Tom L

-
Thanks. That's also what I was thinking when the OP mentioned 10M.
Most MFM drives were 20M, those I recall encountering, and a 30M RLL
thereafter eclipsed them. I'd heard people talking about smaller
capacity, before my time, so I'd never encountered or actually saw a
10-inch plattered drives or such things. DOS was somewhat new and all
the rage. By a couple years with my first and only pre-assembled
computer, an MS-DOS machine, I'd learned to re-build and update,
swapping out the processor, a 4.7MHz Intel 8088 to an 8Mhz NEC V30,
added a HDD for additionally running programs aside from two 360K
floppies, and an ISA-slotted AST Rampage, for rudimentarily swapping
in and out programs through a 64K UMB segmented window, above 640K,
through 2M memory populated on the AST (pre-EMS3 standards).

A new 30M RLL cost me $275, the two-floppy/monochrome Hyundai PC,
$600, although I forgot what I got out of it when I sold it to a
technician at his CRT television repair shop. I had by then contacted
what's know as "Build Fever", spending the next several successive
technological advancements pouring over quick-'n'-hot build updates,
I'd flip to sell to then a ready and willing market, in order to cover
my next advancements.

Eventually of course a point arrived, where sensibleness indicated
either I slow down or quit. That willingness exhibited by people to
buy, changed to turn into to a great whining;- they wanted it all and
all for nothing, including unreasonable and mean demands of
tech-support calls at any hour, night or day.

So I checked in and treated myself in preparation for slowing down.
The mollification of pain I experienced during treatment included an
offset, to learn the stock market. Whereupon having done so, within a
few short years, I was back and up on my feet again, once more at the
extremity, utterly cured and either taking, or losing, profits by as
much a $20,000 a day on trade instruments.

-
Old Greek saying: They don't get that way for nothing.
Old June 7th 17, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Thomas Lake wrote:
I paid $3495.00 for an 8MB (not GB or TB!) hard drive once. It was worth every penny back then (1979)

Tom L

I think you could buy a *new* car for that back then, albeit a small
one. : )