... about using a CD ISO image as a disk drive in win 10

Old July 9th 16, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default ... about using a CD ISO image as a disk drive in win 10

Windows 10 lets one mount a CD or DVD ISO image as a drive. Once that
is done access to data on the CD is very fast. Before Win 10 I used
DAEMON Tools to mount a CD for faster access. My question is, do both
methods actually put the data in computer RAM? Or is it temporarily
loaded onto a hard drive? If the latter, is it on the system disk
(C? If it's on the system disk, since mine is a SSD, am I severely
"using up" the life of the SSD?
Old July 9th 16, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
Windows 10 lets one mount a CD or DVD ISO image as a drive. Once that
is done access to data on the CD is very fast. Before Win 10 I used
DAEMON Tools to mount a CD for faster access. My question is, do both
methods actually put the data in computer RAM? Or is it temporarily
loaded onto a hard drive? If the latter, is it on the system disk
(C? If it's on the system disk, since mine is a SSD, am I severely
"using up" the life of the SSD?

Mounting an ISO, should not affect the SSD. No writes.

*******

If your SSD came with a "toolkit" program, see if
the toolkit is keeping track of your "gigabytes per day".
It would need to take a reading once a day, to present
that information to you.

The drive keeps a "grand total" of all the writes that
were done. And if the program checks it every 24 hours,
the program can tell you the usage amount per day.

Paul
Old July 10th 16, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Windows 10 lets one mount a CD or DVD ISO image as a drive. Once that
is done access to data on the CD is very fast. Before Win 10 I used
DAEMON Tools to mount a CD for faster access. My question is, do both
methods actually put the data in computer RAM? Or is it temporarily
loaded onto a hard drive? If the latter, is it on the system disk
(C? If it's on the system disk, since mine is a SSD, am I severely
"using up" the life of the SSD?

Just as with the mass storage subsystem, optical storage, or USB media,
the file system in that media gets used to access the files that the
file system manages. Without a file system on the media, you won't be
accessing any files. The file system gets mounted and then accessed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_(computing)

A CD is 750MB (700 MiB). A DVD is 4.7GB single layer, 9.4GB dual-sided
single layer, 17GB double-sided double-layer. A BD disc holds 25GB
single layer and 50GB dual layer. Would you want that much system
memory sucked up just to access a file? It is unlikely you have as much
system RAM as the capacity of a BD. If the optical media's contents had
to get copied to a hard disk to access the files, would you really wait
for the copy operation to complete? What if you used an SSD instead of
a HDD. Would you want the optical disc's contents eating up space on
your expensive SSD?
Old July 12th 16, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 16:08:02 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

Windows 10 lets one mount a CD or DVD ISO image as a drive. Once that
is done access to data on the CD is very fast. Before Win 10 I used
DAEMON Tools to mount a CD for faster access. My question is, do both
methods actually put the data in computer RAM? Or is it temporarily
loaded onto a hard drive? If the latter, is it on the system disk
(C? If it's on the system disk, since mine is a SSD, am I severely
"using up" the life of the SSD?

I wouldn't worry too much about SSD life these days. Unless you're
really abusing it (for example, using it as a cache for the HD) it's
pretty hard to use one up. I make a lot of use of mine, including a
couple of tasks that are a bit on the abusive side--and I'm burning
off the life at about 1%/year.