P4PE and SATA ... DVDR problems

Old December 28th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Default P4PE and SATA ... DVDR problems

Thanks to the advice of people here, notably Lars, I got my 250G SATA
drive up and running with my P4PE MB just fine.

..... at least I thought it was fine until I noticed that now my DVD
writer (Master on IDE-2) continually shows data errors during
verification. If I unplug the SATA drive, all is well. I did check all
the cabling to see if it was as simple as a disturbed cable but no go.
It's very repeatable: with the SATA drive I get errors, without it, I
don't. Nothing else seems to be affected.

I had a minimal previous experience with SATA on this machine when I
hooked up an old IDE drive with one of those SATA converter boards. It
didn't work, probably because, in my ignorance, I didn't have the
correct setup or the required driver. Nonetheless, all the time I had
the drive connected I got the same kind of data errors from the DVD
writer (I thought the drive had died and bought a new one, only to
discover that the problems went away when I unhooked the SATA).

Am I missing something?
Old December 28th 07, 10:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

.... at least I thought it was fine until I noticed that now my DVD
writer (Master on IDE-2) continually shows data errors during
verification. If I unplug the SATA drive, all is well. I did check all

Strange, I have my DVD-RW on Secondary IDE (as master).
Have disabled the Primary IDE (in BIOS and in "Device manager")
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53GHz, 1GB, MSI 7600GS, SB-Live
Old December 28th 07, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
.... at least I thought it was fine until I noticed that now my DVD
writer (Master on IDE-2) continually shows data errors during
verification. If I unplug the SATA drive, all is well. I did check all

Strange, I have my DVD-RW on Secondary IDE (as master).
Have disabled the Primary IDE (in BIOS and in "Device manager")

I'm using the Primary IDE for the master drive (system boot) and slave
with dvdr and dvdrom on the Secondary IDE. So of course both IDEs have
to be enabled. I only want the SATA drive as additional data space but
it looks like it may not be compatible with a full IDE system after all.
In which case it will have to go.

I just wondered if the problem was known and whether there was a fix.
Old December 29th 07, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Sid Elbow wrote:

it looks like it may not be compatible with a full IDE system after all.
In which case it will have to go.

When I changed from IDE to S-ATA, I booted from my IDE with the S-ATA
on the Promise controller and copied the disk. No problems here.