P4PE - IDE plus SATA?

Old December 24th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Default P4PE - IDE plus SATA?

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
DaveW wrote:

installation CD before the board will recognize SATA harddrives. Also
remember that the P4PE is limited to 137 GB harddrives by its original BIOS.

Does not apply to the S-ATA controller. I have a 250GB drive. Works
great both in Win98se and WinXP (with the Promise Fastrak drivers).

.... and as I said, it doesn't apply to the IDE controller either.
Perhaps Dave has an old bios - although 137 GB sounds suspiciously like
the default Windows 2000 HD size limitation (fixable with a simple
registry change).
Old December 24th 07, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Sid Elbow wrote:
Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:

I really thought this was a simple question with a straight yes/no
answer so perhaps I phrased it badly. What I want to know is: In the
standard, as-intended use of this MB, can I simply add a SATA drive
to my IDE-based setup (without playing any tricks) or is an either
IDE *or* SATA situation (i.e. mutually exclusive).

Well, call it a hack or not. The S-ATA is a RAID controller. So to
make an S-ATA drive work you must setup a RAID configuration on it.
BUT that can be done with a 1+0 RAID (1 disk). Have run mine with that
for several years. No problem. Also you need the S-ATA drivers files
for the Promise Fastrak S-ATA RAID controller (on the setup CD).

Sorry Lars, I think I misunderstood. I thought you meant I had to use
the RAID connector for one of the IDE drives to use the SATA. I think I
get it now. Thanks for the help - I'll try it tomorrow.

Sorry, now I come to try this, one thing I'm still not sure about: in
the BIOS, under PCI Configuration do I enable Onboard SATA/IDE RAID
Controller ?
Old December 25th 07, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Sid Elbow wrote:

Sorry, now I come to try this, one thing I'm still not sure about: in
the BIOS, under PCI Configuration do I enable Onboard SATA/IDE RAID
Controller ?

Yep. And also there is a spot where you select if you should boot from
the standard IDE or from the S-ATA controller (if you have disks on
both)
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53GHz, 1GB, MSI 7600GS, SB-Live
Old December 25th 07, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Sid Elbow wrote:

... and as I said, it doesn't apply to the IDE controller either.
Perhaps Dave has an old bios - although 137 GB sounds suspiciously like

The limitation in Win98 and XP is not the BIOS, it is the drivers.
And if you update with the latest Intel drivers there are no limit.
Old December 25th 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:

Sorry, now I come to try this, one thing I'm still not sure about: in
the BIOS, under PCI Configuration do I enable Onboard SATA/IDE RAID
Controller ?

Yep. And also there is a spot where you select if you should boot from
the standard IDE or from the S-ATA controller (if you have disks on
both)

Thanks, Lars. Appreciate it!
Old December 25th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:

... and as I said, it doesn't apply to the IDE controller either.
Perhaps Dave has an old bios - although 137 GB sounds suspiciously like

The limitation in Win98 and XP is not the BIOS, it is the drivers.
And if you update with the latest Intel drivers there are no limit.

Don't know about XP (never use it). Win2K though, doesn't support 48-Bit
LBA by default. It needs a registry entry added or changed to activate
this support. See: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

(I thought a similar registry change was necessary with Win98SE but it's
been a long while and I could be wrong).
Old December 26th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Sid Elbow wrote:

Don't know about XP (never use it). Win2K though, doesn't support 48-Bit
LBA by default. It needs a registry entry added or changed to activate
this support. See: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

(I thought a similar registry change was necessary with Win98SE but it's
been a long while and I could be wrong).

To be sure I have no partition over 64 GB, and I have Win98/DOS on the
first partition (as I'm unsure if the DOS-boot can see passed 137).

But as soon as Win98 (or MS-DOS) has booted, it can use all 4
partitions on my disk, so once the Promise Fastrak drivers are loaded
there seem to be no limitations any more...