P4PE - IDE plus SATA?

Old December 22nd 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Default P4PE - IDE plus SATA?

I have a system based on the Asus P4PE MB which is currently using IDE
Master/slave drives on the first IDE channel.

To get extra space, can I add a SATA drive to this setup or is it an
either/or situation on this MB between IDE/SATA.

(Note, I'm not talking about using the RAID connector here).
Old December 22nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Sid Elbow wrote:

I have a system based on the Asus P4PE MB which is currently using IDE
Master/slave drives on the first IDE channel.

To get extra space, can I add a SATA drive to this setup or is it an
either/or situation on this MB between IDE/SATA.

No problem. Just remember to select wich controller to boot first.
And setup at RAID with just one disk on the S-ATA.

I did this when copying my IDE to my new S-ATA.
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53GHz, 1GB, MSI 7600GS, SB-Live
Old December 22nd 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:

I have a system based on the Asus P4PE MB which is currently using IDE
Master/slave drives on the first IDE channel.

To get extra space, can I add a SATA drive to this setup or is it an
either/or situation on this MB between IDE/SATA.

No problem. Just remember to select wich controller to boot first.
And setup at RAID with just one disk on the S-ATA.

Well, as I said, I don't want to set up RAID nor do I want to boot from
the SATA. I simply want to keep my existing setup with two IDE HD's on
IDE-1 (booting from the first), two DVD drives on IDE-2, but add one or
two SATA drives for extra data storage.

I believe what you are saying means I can do that without a problem?
Old December 23rd 07, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Well, as I said, I don't want to set up RAID nor do I want to boot from
the SATA. I simply want to keep my existing setup with two IDE HD's on
IDE-1 (booting from the first), two DVD drives on IDE-2, but add one or
two SATA drives for extra data storage.

I believe what you are saying means I can do that without a problem?

Don't know about two S-ATA, to use one you have to trick the RAID
controller by setting up a RAID with one disk. Don't know if that can
be done twice :-)
Old December 23rd 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Well, as I said, I don't want to set up RAID nor do I want to boot from
the SATA. I simply want to keep my existing setup with two IDE HD's on
IDE-1 (booting from the first), two DVD drives on IDE-2, but add one or
two SATA drives for extra data storage.

I believe what you are saying means I can do that without a problem?

Don't know about two S-ATA, to use one you have to trick the RAID
controller by setting up a RAID with one disk. Don't know if that can
be done twice :-)

Don't know where we are going with this. What you seem to be saying now
is that I can't "simply" add a SATA drive along with my current IDE
setup but that, in order to do so, I have to play some kind of trick
using the raid connector (I'm not interested in doing it by any kind of
trick/hack).

I really thought this was a simple question with a straight yes/no
answer so perhaps I phrased it badly. What I want to know is: In the
standard, as-intended use of this MB, can I simply add a SATA drive to
my IDE-based setup (without playing any tricks) or is an either IDE *or*
SATA situation (i.e. mutually exclusive).

Old December 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

Sid Elbow wrote:

I really thought this was a simple question with a straight yes/no
answer so perhaps I phrased it badly. What I want to know is: In the
standard, as-intended use of this MB, can I simply add a SATA drive to
my IDE-based setup (without playing any tricks) or is an either IDE *or*
SATA situation (i.e. mutually exclusive).

Well, call it a hack or not. The S-ATA is a RAID controller. So to
make an S-ATA drive work you must setup a RAID configuration on it.
BUT that can be done with a 1+0 RAID (1 disk). Have run mine with that
for several years. No problem. Also you need the S-ATA drivers files
for the Promise Fastrak S-ATA RAID controller (on the setup CD).
Old December 24th 07, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW[_5_]

You CAN use IDE and SATA harddrives at the same time, but remember that you
have to install the SATA controller's drivers from the motherboard's
installation CD before the board will recognize SATA harddrives. Also
remember that the P4PE is limited to 137 GB harddrives by its original BIOS.

--
--DaveW

Old December 24th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
Sid Elbow wrote:

I really thought this was a simple question with a straight yes/no
answer so perhaps I phrased it badly. What I want to know is: In the
standard, as-intended use of this MB, can I simply add a SATA drive to
my IDE-based setup (without playing any tricks) or is an either IDE *or*
SATA situation (i.e. mutually exclusive).

Well, call it a hack or not. The S-ATA is a RAID controller. So to
make an S-ATA drive work you must setup a RAID configuration on it.
BUT that can be done with a 1+0 RAID (1 disk). Have run mine with that
for several years. No problem. Also you need the S-ATA drivers files
for the Promise Fastrak S-ATA RAID controller (on the setup CD).

Sorry Lars, I think I misunderstood. I thought you meant I had to use
the RAID connector for one of the IDE drives to use the SATA. I think I
get it now. Thanks for the help - I'll try it tomorrow.
Old December 24th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Sid Elbow

DaveW wrote:
You CAN use IDE and SATA harddrives at the same time, but remember that you
have to install the SATA controller's drivers from the motherboard's
installation CD before the board will recognize SATA harddrives. Also
remember that the P4PE is limited to 137 GB harddrives by its original BIOS.

Do you mean it's limited to 137 GB for just the SATA HD's or for the IDE
drives as well? (If you mean the IDE drives as well, I have to tell you
that I'm happily running a 200 GB IDE drive on it - fully partitioned -
at the moment).
Old December 24th 07, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Lars-Erik Østerud

DaveW wrote:

installation CD before the board will recognize SATA harddrives. Also
remember that the P4PE is limited to 137 GB harddrives by its original BIOS.

Does not apply to the S-ATA controller. I have a 250GB drive. Works
great both in Win98se and WinXP (with the Promise Fastrak drivers).

I you reinstall WinXP just remember to have a floppy with the Promise
drivers or else you won't find the harddrive during XP installation.