7950GT passive cooled

Old October 16th 06, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
M. Ziegler

Default 7950GT passive cooled

Hi

is anyone using a passive cooled 7950GT card from XFX or MSI.
Im interested in buying one. But I own an Artic Cooling midi tower
and Im asking myself, if the card will be running too hot.

Michael
Old October 17th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

M. Ziegler wrote:
Hi

is anyone using a passive cooled 7950GT card from XFX or MSI.
Im interested in buying one. But I own an Artic Cooling midi tower
and Im asking myself, if the card will be running too hot.

Michael

I just got an XFX 7950GT @ 600MHz core 735MHz Mem, with ambient
temperatures of 25c idle temps are 65c and the operating temps are, so
far, up to 95c.

I use a replacement nforce 4 chipset cooler, the nearly silent forcetake
hp+fan. I also use the Arctic Cooling 64Pro HP+Fan for my 2.6G AMD 64,
which never gets above 55c under load. That is now the loudest fan in
the case, but it sounds like it's being used in another room, audible
but unobtrusive. There is also a low RPM, silent, 80mm exhaust fan in
the back of the case, and the PSU has two 120mm temp sensitive fans,
also silent.

When you ask, "will the card run too hot", I reply "too hot for what?".

If you answer, "too hot to run at 600MHz / 735MHz at an ambient
temperature of 25c....[insert rest of the above paragraph here]..." Then
no, in my particular case the heat it generates isn't enough to make it
malfunction. In fact, this has been the most stable video card I've yet had.

However, if you really want the worst case scenario, then, Yes! The card
is too hot! Play one game and your card will melt in it's socket,
possibly lighting on fire and killing everyone you care about while they
sleep, and reducing to cinders, all that you own.

Assuming you have a properly set-up system box, with reasonable air
flow, and reasonable ambient temperatures, the card will operate
correctly, and so will the rest of the PC.

With a minimum of airflow this card has been rock solid while
overclocked and only raised my case temps by 1c. I'm very impressed by
it's performance (Call of Duty 2, maxed out; Oblivion, HDR + High
resolution). Its sexy, black, kick ass techy looking, and it is, in case
you forgot, SILENT.

One odd point, I had to use the 92.91 Forceware drivers, for some reason
the 91.47 WHQL drivers would not identify the card, refusing to install.
That hasn't happened before ever. shrug It might come back to haunt me
with a later driver suite, I'll take me chances.

Old October 17th 06, 08:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
M. Ziegler

Mr.E Solved! schrieb:
M. Ziegler wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the answers. I will try to get one of this cards, but
currently they are sold out in Germany.

Michael