8800 GTS thoughts?

Old April 8th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

Default 8800 GTS thoughts?

I am looking at ordering, the EVGA 8800 GTS from NewEgg.
My current system is:
EVGA 680i mb
Intel Core2 Due E6600
2gb ddr2 pc8500 Corsair Extreme LL ram
Saphire Radeon X850XT 256 mb PCIe video card

I am running XP Pro.

The Saphire card, is showing definite signs of going out on me now.

I would like to get a DX10 card, for the future whenever I do upgrade to
Vista,, and am eyeballing that 8800 GTS. The GTX card, is a little out of
my price range I think, and it would appear even with the 320 mb GTS, would
be a nice improvement for me anyways.

Just curious as to thoughts from anyone running the 8800 GTS?

Thanks for any feedback,

--
Don

Old April 8th 07, 06:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jason A

Thoughts on the 8800GTS from a former ATI owner (me)

First, and foremost, I am *NOT* a fanboy of either camp.

That being said, I've had quite good experiences with my 8800, point in
fact, except for the RAM, I've got the same setup you have (Kingston
HyperX RAM in mine)

BF2142 plays at 1600x1200 with 4x AA in game and the 8800 set to 8xQ
(enhance application) in the driver. Pretty much the same settings for
Anisotropic filtering. Game runs smooth (as long as the server isn't laggy)

Test Drive Unlimited runs well, at about the same settings.

Nothing overclocked.

To be honest, though, if ATI had had a DX10 card when I was buying, I
would have stuck with ATI, but I wanted the best I could get, with some
hope of future proofing (for now), and could get a better price for my
old parts if I included my x850XT.

Short answer: Very nice card, worth the $$$

Jason A.

Old April 8th 07, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dudley Henriques

Just in case you missed my last post Don, this is a great card for me, and
Katy recommended at least 512 in video ram. Mine is a 640GTS
Dudley
news

Old April 8th 07, 11:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Man-wai Chang[_2_]

Don Burnette wrote:
I am looking at ordering, the EVGA 8800 GTS from NewEgg.
My current system is:
EVGA 680i mb
Intel Core2 Due E6600
2gb ddr2 pc8500 Corsair Extreme LL ram
Saphire Radeon X850XT 256 mb PCIe video card

Wait till DirectX 10 is available...

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.20.6
Old April 8th 07, 12:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RR Johnson Jr.

The 8800 GTS 320mb overclocked card from EVGA is great UNLESS you are using
extremely large screen resolutions in which case the 640 MB model is
preferred.

Old April 8th 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

"Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
Don Burnette wrote:
I am looking at ordering, the EVGA 8800 GTS from NewEgg.
My current system is:
EVGA 680i mb
Intel Core2 Due E6600
2gb ddr2 pc8500 Corsair Extreme LL ram
Saphire Radeon X850XT 256 mb PCIe video card

Wait till DirectX 10 is available...

--

Well, that was what I was planning on doing, however my X850XT is showing
signs of going out on me at this point, hence the need to go ahead and

Thanks,

--
Don

Old April 8th 07, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

Thanks RR.

I am running 1280x1024x32 on my 19" Samsung LCD, also running a second
monitor at the same resolution, a Gateway 17" LCD, with plans to possible go
to a three monitor setup in the future.

--
Don

Old April 8th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

In addition, I am now looking at two cards.

1: EVGA 8800 GTS w/ 320 mb ram
2: BFG 8800 GTS w/ 640 mb ram

Both cards, are pretty much spec'd the same in regards to core and memory
speeds.

Only question in my mind, is will the additional 320 mb ram on the BFG card
be worth the app 130 bucks difference in price between the two.

I do plan on upgrading to Vista and utilizing dx10 in the future. I
primarily fly MS FSX, and understand it really likes a lot of ram on the
video card.

--
Don

[...]

BFG 8800 GTS OC 320mb versus BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb Jethro Nvidia Videocards 4 March 21st 07 02:24 PM
BFG 8800 GTX and Games Mike Vajda Nvidia Videocards 21 February 11th 07 10:22 AM
8800 GTX or not? [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 47 February 7th 07 09:26 PM
8800 gtx Catfish Nvidia Videocards 0 January 6th 07 07:28 AM
FireGL 8800 >>AndreA Ati Videocards 6 September 14th 03 09:17 AM