Skybuck's Aliens vs Predator (2010) Multiplayer Demo Review.

Old February 4th 10, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_3_]

Default Skybuck's Aliens vs Predator (2010) Multiplayer Demo Review.

Hello,

Tonight I played the Aliens vs Predator (2010) Demo... it's only been out
for about 4 to 5 hours or so !

The download speed on Steam was good about 2.2 MegaByte/sec it took a few
minutes to download.

The installation went smooth/ok, it installed some Visual Studio C++ 2005
Distributables and DirectX9.

Then I started to launch/play the game on Skybuck's Dream PC for 2006 with a
GeForce 7900 GTX with 512 MB of RAM.

The default settings for the game were way to high and it played like a dog
at first... then I lowered resolution and then it played a bit better...
Then I wanted to turn the textures lower and that's when the first hang
occured... because of "very high textures" it immediatly started to load
them... so that's not good... it should wait until I go "back" before doing
that. Anyway I had to terminate the app and restart it.

Finally I played with the following settings smoothly:
Resolution: 1024x786
Shadows: off
Anti-Aliasing: 1.0x
Textures: Normal
Ambient Occlusion: Off (I wanted to try this with on but couldn't anymore
see below).

The menu's look pretty cool/good but it has a little bit of an issue as
well... It takes to long to go back through it all and back into the game...
it should try to do that more fastly... so that's my first real issue with
this demo and the menu system it doesn't work fast enough.

I don't like the blinking logo's in the demo... it's like it's damage or a
bug or something.

The rest of the menu's is ok.

Now onto the game: You might be wondering how is it ? While it's hard to
explain and describe... but I will give it a try...

Let's start with the video's from youtube and such... those video's pretend
that the game is really hectic and crazy... well... that's pretty much a lie
so far... or at least that was my experience so far... everybody is still
trying to learn how to play the game... I learned quickly and started to
enjoy it...

As I wrote... the game is not as hectic as in the youtube video's... but
maybe it will give a bit more hectic later on... and yes it did get a little
bit hectic once players get better... even a little bit too hectic at times
?!

Overall it had a nice, relaxed feeling to it. The level is a bit smallish
but at the same time also large... if you walk it feels large... if you run
it feels small... that's a bit weird.

The game controls are totally differen than Aliens vs Predator 2 and will
need getting used too. While the system is interesting I think the usually
system is better...

The problem with the demo is that it uses "Mouse Button 3" (which is the
wheel mouse for me) So this game is actually a 3-button game which is
sort-of-a-bad-thing... Since pressing the wheel mouse is unusually for me...
and the real reason is that it is hard to press and makes me aim go off...
maybe it's a matter of practice... ?!? but I am used to just using left
mouse button mostly... and sometimes a little bit of right mouse button...
but for now I will give the demo the benefit of the doubt... but if I had
the choice I would probably want the old system back... I can switch between
weapons fast enough with the old system so I don't need a 3-button system...
a 2-button system will do just fine... but as I said I am willing to put up
with a 3-button system for now !

Now I will explain how the new weapon selection system works, especially
when it comes to the predator.. it's kinda odd but here goes:

1. The wrist blades are always available/mounted... I can understand this
decision a little bit... because in AvP2 sometimes you would run out of
bullits and couldn't do anything or whatever... so this
wrist-blades-always-mounted-thing might give you a chance of quickly
fighting back... But the down side is it makes it harder to know what the
hell you are doing because you don't know what weapon is currently
"selected/active" which is a bit ****ty... and having to switch to mouse
button 3 adds a bit of "lag/latency" to my reaction speed... hopefull with a
bit of practice that might go away ?!?

Anyway so you select a weapon with 1,2,3,4... but it doesn't become
visible... only when you press 3 does it become visible and it immediatly
throws/fires or whatever... so no time to aim ? or just a little bit
maybe... so you have to pre-aim before you actually know what's gonna happen
it's a bit weird...

One thing I kinda miss from AvP2 is to be able to hold the wrist blades in
attack mode... and only "release" them when a prey is near... but ok...

2. The wristling and the fighting is pretty cool.. a little bit strange
sometimes... but not bad... this is a first for me in a shooter ?

I immediatly wished from the start that when the marine is down and on the
ground that he could have the ability to fight back from the ground... and
fire with a pistol... or maybe fight with his hands... The marine doesn't
have a block option like the other two have... which kinda sux for the
marine... I want a block option for the marine ?! and more struggle for the
marine on the ground as well... that would be cool ! I hope the final game
will have/add this... but I doubt it

3. The default controls where a bit weird... I had to figure that stuff
out... finally I managed to seperate the controls... because it's possible
to bind multiple actions to the same key... which makes it confusing... for
example I had vision mode and "focus mode" on the same key which makes it
confusing at first for newbs at least...
But ok... a bit of a gamer will manage to sort that all out right ?

4. So the vision mode is cool and all.. it makes the nice sound a little bit
softer though... one vision mode is gone/disappeared... the special
"predator vision" mode is gone... instead there is only human vision mode
and alien vision mode... (predators to show up on human vision mode as "body
heat from predator clearly distinctable".

5. The plasma cannon worked a bit weird... the enemy has to come close
enough before it locks on... but ok I guess this is too prevent lame players
from killing people from afar ! The special effect for the bullit
could have been better/bigger... I kinda like the AvP2 effect better !
- It's more distinctive and easier to see for what it is !

6. Throwing the stick at somebody is a bit weird... you see this little
thingy fly at the enemy... you don't really see it hit... I think the stick
from AvP2 was better.. just keep it in your hands and smack somebody with
it... but that's not possible in this new game... throwing it would have
been a nice add-on.

7. I also discovered the mines on the bars near the ceiling... The mines are
kinda funny/cool... when people go near them the mines explode ! Nifty !
That'll make people think twice before sneaking up on me ?! I am not sure
what visual or audial queues there are for other players to alert them of
the danger... apperently none ?! As maybe a good mine should be ! Otherwise
it would be useless ofcourse ! It's kinda fun ! =D

8. Which takes me too how to get the The game has a new mode called:
"Focus mode". It works by "holding the G key". Maybe it would have been
better if this was a "trigger key" instead... so that I can just press G
once let it go... and still have the mode active... so I can focus my
fingers on other more important keys like movement... it would be cool if
this could be on the whole time... or off the whole... as I please... that
would I could perform multiple jumps very fastly... now that gets a little
bit difficult if I have to strafe right first... I would need to let the G
key go and use another key... having to press multiple keys like that kinda
sux a little bit but ok it slows down my gameplay and I have to think harder
about what I am doing with my keys... It get's a bit tricky to pull it
off... but after some practice I managed to do it pretty quickly... but it
could have been even better/faster...

However the focus mode is kinda nice... it takes me to place hard to
reach... but it's also a bit weird... sometimes it's like an impossible jump
or a "fly jump" or something it's a bit strange... maybe the old fashioned
crouch and high jump would have been better... but then again... I kinda
like this mode... it makes it more easy for me to navigate...

There is also a contradiction which is weird/odd... the predator can jump...
but not so high... with the spacebar.... but it can jump very high with the
focus mode... that's a bit strange... maybe it would have been better if
space can jump high as well... for example by holding it for a while to jump
higher ?!

9. The game is a very dark... maybe a bit too dark ? Some items are hard to
see.. the game "solves" this with visual queue's to indicate that somethings
there... like weapons, ammo. It also gives hints to press "E" to pick it
up...

This is kinda strange and annoying... why doesn't it just auto-pick it up
like "normal games do" Especially the weapons which can automatically fit to
the pack... shouldn't those be automatically picked-up or do the slow you
down because of extra weight ?

Also pressing E takes too long... I need to hold it for a few seconds...
like 2 or 3 seconds... that's too long... just 1 key press should be enough
to make the gameplay faster...

10. The same can be said for grabbing people... maybe it should be more
instanously... or maybe that would make it too easier and overdue it... but
that could be compensated by requiring people to be more closely....

It's kinda strange that grabbing can only be done from the back... why not
from the front as well ?! (Seems a bit anal too me ! ) It also got a
little bit annoying when aliens repeatedly do that... but sometimes a bit
fun as well... especially when the alien face is in front of the screen.
Though I think adding a "server option" which disables this might be a smart
thing to do.

11. The weapons are few and not that great... especially the marine seems
underpowered to me...:

"Nades" do not kill aliens institainously.
"Pistols" do not kill aliens... I shot multiple rounds in the head of the
alien nothing happened ? (Maybe lag?)
"Flame thrower" do not kill aliens... It does very little damage... it's
pretty useless...
"Shotgun" even the shotgun seems pretty useless... even from midrange...
apperently it's short range only... but even then multiple shots needed...
One or two shots should be enough... not three but ok
Which leaves the "Pulsar riffle" this is the only weapon which can kill
aliens pretty decently... it's kinda amazing how I manage to kill aliens
after I am "stunned"... maybe that a bit strange/unrealistic ?! Since I was
just attacked... that doesn't really feel right... ofcourse it makes me
happy that I killed the other alien but at the same time I am like... oh you
poor ******* you almost got me ?! and now you get killed by a weapon cheat
or so ?!? Bit strange...

12. The blocking is pretty awesome... it creates more of a struggle between
players... that's very cool... I wish the game had even more struggle like
that ! Like pushing people back... falling them on their ass.. jumping on
them... fighting... maybe even rolling over the floor... that would have
been cool.. At least the pushing back is in there... !

13. I miss the "pounce" option from AvP2...

14. I miss the head bite from AvP2 It seems not present in this game ?

15. No crouching in this game which is definetly a short coming... I am used
to crouching when somebody points and shoots a gun at me to try and duck out
the bullits... this game is again a little bit weird at that point. Maybe it
makes the game more newb friendly... but it makes the game also look a
little bit newbisch ! =D

At the same time the game does have a very powerfull headshot ! Which makes
this combination very dangerous ! Without crouching capabilities people will
get "headshotted" a lot... I would expect players to start counter acting
this by bunny hopping a lot ?! (If possible ?!?)

16. The graphics are not top notch... but they are interesting to watch sort
of... One reason for this could be more now older graphics cards... but
still... even with top graphics cards this game is probably not top notch...
it does have some nice lighting here and there... and destructable
lights.... as far as I can tell one has to point at the light to be able to
destroy it... one can't simply run past it and destroy it with arms/hands
from alien ? Hmm maybe that a bit unrealistic anyway... but again it does
slow down the gameplay if you have to destroy those lamps in such a way !

17. The mode we played is deatchmatch... there is only 1 mode... and only 8
people can play ? While that might seem like not a lot... it seems like a
whole bunch of people are in there ?! This game feels like playing on a 64
player server sort of... with only 8 people ?! Wow ?! Probably the run
speed has something to do with that... and maybe little levels and slowness
of pace sometimes ? Is it a good thing or is it a bad thing ? Yes and no...
You will not be confronted with "hordes" of aliens with online play... which
is kinda a shame... but you will be confronted with just "two aliens" coming
at you... which will feel like a horde anyway

I wish the game was in "team deatchmatch" to get more of a feel how that
would be... but I suspect that maybe the game has issue's with "team
deatchmatch"... the attacking party would run into a trap and get killed one
by one... this is probably because of the "close corridor" situation... not
a lot of room for multiple people to shoot at each other and help each other
out... so that's a dangerous situation... This level probably not that
suited for teamdeatch match... maybe other levels more suited.

18. The switching between always walk on walls and drop to the floor takes a
bit too long... space can also be used to jump out of it... but then it's a
bit weird.. does it continue or not with it ? I think this game needs a very
clear indicator which tells you if you are in wall walking mode or not... I
can't tell currently... which kinda sux.

19. I am not sure what the focus mode does during combat... or even when
standing still... some weird out of focus happens and some red things appear
on the enemy...

20. Sometimes the predator cannot jump somewhere... a weird red cross
appears... why show that in the first place ? It's just confusing... leave
it out or so ? Or make it a very clearly visible cross... or maybe this just
needs getting used to... At least you will know that it's "jumpable" but
just "out of reach".

The "out of reach" situation is weird... sometimes you have to jump on a box
to get somewhere... it seems a bit weird... The location looks reachable
from where I am standing but the game says not... then a box which is
actually further and lower away says... yes you can reach from here... which
is just weird and kinda painfull...

I guess that's the danger with this "focus mode"... the developers place
these locations and physics goes right out of the window... which makes it
odd and weird... and counter-intuitive.

21. The disc (?) Absolutely sucks... it's way too little, and way uncool...
and the sound from AvP2 is not there... and the special "red drag effect" is
not really there... This is the biggest suckage point in the Demo so far...
The disc was awesome in AvP2 and now it's a piece of rubbisch... such a
shame ?! "Also no re-collect trigger ???" Re-collect disc could be used in
AvP2 to get another kill which was kinda funny and cool and luckly sometimes
! The little disc in this game does reflect off the walls but a bit
too much... and way too fast ?!? In AvP2 the angle would determine if it
would reflect or if it would get stuck... and maybe also a bit of luck...

22. The wrist blades themselfes don't really look that sharp... they a big
thick ? But sturdy I guess

23. Why do the wrist blades "heat up" in human vision mode ?!? That's kinda
weird and distracting... I wish it wasn't there...

24. The alien tail seems to strike a bit too far for my taste !

25. The alien sounds are very cool when it fights.

26. The hiss sound is cool and somewhat amazingly cool ! Really scares
other players and confuses them ! nice ! But a bit weird too =D But ok

27. The predator does not really have a distract mode ? It says it has...
but it doesn't seem to work ? Also now laugh and voice messages ? V means
active mic ?

28. The worst thing about the demo is the "Voice mic always on"... Other
people have there microphones on... and it creates a lot of crazy noises
during the game setup ?! That's pretty bad ?! I don't even wanna hear those
people... ?! I just wanna play with them and that's all ?!

29. The options cannot be changed while the game is loading ? or while I am
in the lobby ?!? Changing options will loading might be nice... especially
controls or such...

30. I rather see a "load bar" to indicate when it's done... then just two
arrows... Ok this just a demo... but still

31. Play time has to be way longer than just 10 minutes per game... gjez !
Ok... again just demo... but make it an hour or so at least ! This
needs to be re-configureable in the final game... Constantly reloading is
kinda suckage... and I wanna play a long time ! - More fun that way
=D

32. The flamer thrower affect was kinda nice... but it could also have been
better... I have seen better too... also something weird happens: Sometimes
things catch fire... and sometimes not ? Even if I burn it a lot... that's
weird... It should either completely started burning... like everything or
not at all... It would be very cool if I could use the flame thrower to burn
away the alien **** on the walls and it would catch fire... just for kicks !
and visuals ! And it could actually have a function as well: keeping
aliens out... by using their on **** against them as a "firewall" !
How funny ! Maybe Aliens could "take a ****" to obstruct corridors ! That
would be cool ! and funny =D

33. It would be cool if there were eating animations for the aliens at least
to seem them regenerate their health... that would make more sense to the
player !

34. Alien bodies/corpses do not explode when I shot with a pistol on them or
a pulsar riffle ?!? that kinda sux... bodies need to be able to explode like
in AvP2... it's kinda nice if it can be thorn apart ! I send your soul to
hell and your body to hell as well ! GET IT ?! =D - That's more
blood thirsty and gorish... and has a nice function as well: Cleaning up the
level for more speed ! And less distraction possibly

35. The marine no longer has a "vision mode" for in the dark ?!? What ever
happend to "ultra violet" ? That;s a bit of a strange short coming... or
maybe it's too cumbersome for marines to carry that equipment around on
their hands... after all this ain't splintercell ?! But then again...
it could be a "class specialization" or so...

36. There is no rocket launcher in this game ?!? That's very daring and
maybe even foolish of them ?!? All great shooters had rocket launchers in
them: Doom, Quake, Quake2, Quake3, Quake4, Battlefield 2, Return To Castle
Wolfenstein, Call of Duty 4, Aliens vs Predator 2, do I need to go on ?!?
The rocket launcher is simply a requirement if you want to belong to the
bigboys ! No rocket launcher = no cooky for you !

37. The sniper riffle of the human cannot zoom in/zoom out ? HUH ?!? It
feels imprecise and hard to aim as well ? Huh ?!? Maybe I need more practice
?!?

38. Default sensitivity speed for mouse was too low... it should at least be
0.75 procent ?!? Or is my mouse that slow ?!

39. I rather use shift for running/sprinting... then Q but ok Personal
preference maybe

40. Some weapons require energy before they can be deployed again like the
mines... it's kinda weird... maybe even unrealistic.. or maybe the predators
have "syntheziers" like in Startrek which can produce mines from energy...
the energy can be loaded at the things near the walls which seem to be
camera systems as well ?!? That's kinda weird... but ok I pressume the
predators have technology to extract power from human devices ??

41. Cannot cut off/collect heads/throphies from dead bodies ?

And then the game crashed... while I was doing a vision mode switch... other
people left ? I also saw other people leave during other games which is
kinda strange... did they not like the game ? Or were their settings to bad
for them to be able to play ? Do they not understand how to tweak it to make
it run better ?!? Makes me wonder...

I tried to reconnect and continue playing but at this point the demo stopped
"working"... I could not join anymore games ? It didn't find any... via
quick match ?!? (Also it doesn't show ping times... so I don't know if there
are lag issue's... )

So at that point I decided to shut the game down... and start writing this
review for you enjoyment and interest

Now the big question:

Was the game fun ? Yeah it was kinda fun...

Was the game interesting ? Yeah it was kinda fun....

Was the game beautifull/fun to watch ? Yeah it was kinda beautifull and fun
to watch...

The better graphics are fun and nice... and I for one... am glad that there
is a new Aliens vs Predator Multiplayer Demo and soon full game coming out
?!

The darkness in combination with the light does add a distrinct atmosphere
to the game... but the question is what would you rather have: "Nice
atmosphere" or "Great gameplay" ?

I think with this game it can go hand-in-hand a little bit It's kinda
funny when a alien manages to sneak up from you from the dark... but
sometimes you'll die and not know what hit or killed you ?!?

So in that regards this game is also lacking a little bit... if I recall
correctly in AvP2 you could turn the camera around a little bit after you
died... or it would be automatic... so you got an idea what happened... this
game does not have that which is rather lacking a bit ! (But it could
create issue's in such a close corridor map ?! But still AvP2 was able
to do it... so why not this game eh?! maybe it will be added
later on or in a future expansion...) Then again... the "wondering" what
happened might also be kinda interesting... maybe you will decided to
quickly go back there.. .and investigate ! and die all over again ! LOL !
until you figure it out or never know what happened

Anyway my final conclusion:

But games deserve massive respect:
Aliens vs Predator 2
and the new
Aliens vs Predator (2010)

However I still hope that both games can be merged into a new game let's
say:
Aliens vs Predator 2 (2011?)

So final conclusion: Whoever continues developing this franchise or game has
still a lot of work cut out for them !

The demo says: "pre-release source code"... I don't really believe that !

It's like a little wish: "We wish it was better but alas... this is it...
but we like to leed you on"

But maybe I am wrong... maybe the final full game will be a little bit
better than the demo... we shall see won't we ? - Funny sentence that
last one... it starts with we and ends with we ! That's a first for me !
LOL

Anyway one final last tip:

Add the chat screen in the game room setup... so people can chat while they
are waiting for the game start...

It's almost as if the developers don't want you to chat... so you can't
bitch about it Chatting could lead to trash talking... that's why it
shouldn't load so damn much... just keep on playing ! No time to chat that
way ! =D

Ok peeps, Ok folks ! That's it from me for now ! =D

I hope the demo works for you ! I hope it will work soon again ! I
don't know what the problem was... maybe server issue's, maybe it got pulled
? maybe my operating system needs to close some ports ?!? Maybe steam
****ed up and thinks I am still logged in ?!? Hmmmm... Hopefully it detects
it and resets it so I can play again later today/tomorrow or so !

Ok final maybe wacky comment from me:
This game reminds me a little bit of... and feels like Splinter Cell... the
multiplayer demo with the darkness and the sneaking around.. but then in an
Aliens vs Predator style

Wait wait wait I must admit one last remark:

The shotgun from AvP2 is way cooler then in this game ?!? Though this game
has a double shotgun... but it's kinda a weird gun... I don't need a double
shotgun ?! What am I some kind of sissy lol ?!

I am one bad ass motherfokka I am going solo with a single shotgun ! =D
That had a nice feel to it in AvP2 and it's sound was awesome when it shot !
The shotgun in AvP2 is/was just as iconic to me as was the pulsar
riffle in the movie ! I loved that shotgun... sigh

Ok final final final last remark:

Sometimes the smart gun doesn't seem to do a lot of damage ?!? Damage done
tweaked down or lag issue ?

Oke final final final final final last comment:

I do like the simplified "hud" it has a more technical/experimental weapon
feeling to it... like just basic fast computer system running... it's kinda
funny and nice ! Nothing too fancy... though I wouldn't mind seeming
something more fancy as well... I am neutral om that subject However I
do like the health bar a lot... it's awesome... and the stims pack is also
very cool !

I also like the way the predator injects the purple health thing into
himself instead of knifes like in AvP2... I also like the way the marine
does it ! Very cool !

I also like the way the "motion blur" kicks in when I turn around real
fast... or half way... that's cool ! =D

I was also kinda amazed that it was possible to actually climb over things
with the marine... that was kinda cool !

But the alien seems to have a little problem with it ?!

The marine requires the spacebar to be pressed which is a good thing... but
the alien should just do it automatic ?!? Or maybe not... this way the alien
can hide behind it as well

Though the alien did have some trouble climbing over boxes when "wall-mode"
was on... maybe that can somehow be fixed so the alien moves more smoothly
over objects when "wall mode" is on !

Ok peeps ! It was again a long night for me... like many others... so I am
used to it !

I am very glad that the demo is out so I had a chance to play it ! I loved
it !

Ofcourse I will not rate this demo since it's not the full thing... when I
have played the whole game I might give it a rating/stars

I make no promises that I will write a review of the whole game... it
depends on if I like the game or not... and if I think it's quality and fun
or not... but from what I have seen it seems fun ! And that's what I am all
about when it comes to gaming ! Having fun ! That's my major priority when
playing games ! As long as it's fun you can count me in ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old February 6th 10, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.design
Skybuck Flying[_3_]

Lol,

I just had a very interestingly funny game lol.

I played predator the others played aliens, there was one other predator
too.

I simply went to the room with the energy supply and I simply mined the
doors.

The aliens couldn't get in and kept getting killed...

I only died once... after that I started mining the floor of the room as
well...

I wont with 18 kills, and the runner up 10 kills or so...

Way too easy really

One alien did survive one mine and got stunned and then moved at me but I
still killed them.

Sometimes they tried in team but didn't help them...second mine got second
alien !

Ok here some further pointers to improve the game a little bit:

1. Don't spawn people in front of other people... so check line of sight...
otherwise a marine could shoot a just-spawned-predator... which would be
slightly frustrating.

I am thinking about what aliens could have done to stop/kill me... not much
except simply stay out of the doorways and wait till I come out... if I
don't come out it might be 0 vs 0 kills LOL.

Game also seems to be having some connection issue's... so that kinda sux...

Lobby could be improved with custom game making as usual... with ping
information and what not... though this game does not really seem affected
by lag that much ?

Bye,
Skybuck