sempron?

Old July 29th 05, 12:41 AM
Lee

Default sempron?

Hello so can someone explain to me what the Sempron is? what is the diff
between this and say a Barton XP?

Cheers.
Old July 29th 05, 12:49 AM
chris

Barton has 512KB of L2 cache
Sempron has 256KB or L2 cache

Sempron works on fewer motherboards then XP processor. Also, some
motherboards need to flashed with a new BIOS before they will recognize the
Sempron processors.

--
All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!

Old July 29th 05, 01:10 AM
Wookie

It is the AMD equivalent of a Celeron ...
It is highly Overclockable and is a very good chip, Not quite as good as a
A64 chip, but it is very inexpensive.

Old July 29th 05, 07:12 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:41:49 +0000, Lee wrote:

Hello so can someone explain to me what the Sempron is? what is the diff
between this and say a Barton XP?

See Sempron in link below.

Old July 30th 05, 12:54 AM
chris

How dare you compare AMD sempron processors with Celeron. AMD Sempron is
clearly supperior to Intel Celeron!

Old July 30th 05, 03:23 AM
Augustus

"chris" wrote in message
How dare you compare AMD sempron processors with Celeron. AMD Sempron is
clearly supperior to Intel Celeron!

Yes it is generally better, but you are apparently unaware that AMD uses the
Celeron the reference in the Sempron performance rating. Sempron 2400+ is
supposed to be equivalent to a Celeron 2.4 (2400Mhz)

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=253

Old July 30th 05, 04:44 AM
Wookie

Don't get your panties in a bunch ... the Sempron is to X64 like the Celeron
is to the Pentium

I would much rather have a Sempron as you can OC them very nicely. As Wes
pointed out though that maybe your best bang for the buck is a XP 2500
Barton right now .. or one of the other less expensive XP's

I helped my friend set up a machine with a Smepron .. it's nice and
nocompalints .. I have three machines with AMD XP's, another machine has a
Celeron and the other with an A64.

Old August 1st 05, 01:33 PM
Veritech

"Lee" wrote in message

Hello so can someone explain to me what the Sempron is? what is the diff
between this and say a Barton XP?

Cheers.

I would like to say, i came late to socket A, and sempron
rules(considering the cost to power ratio)

I got a 2600+ overclocked to a 2800+, stable, default voltage on crapy
cheap gigabyte motherboard.

As far as i'm concerned if you can handle taking the heat for having a
old system and no "64" on your chip, go socket a, the nf-7(board of
legends) is soooo cheap compared to good 939 boards, along with the ol
skool xp-m 2500 and you've got the performance of a AMD Hammer system.

Oh i calculated, that AMD Hammer technology is 30% faster at the same
clock speed than the old XP tech, is that about right?

Why 2200+ & 2800+ in both model 8 & model 10 Sempron? Michael Brown Overclocking AMD Processors 3 September 27th 04 07:07 AM
Why 2200+ & 2800+ in both model 8 & model 10 Sempron? Michael Brown Homebuilt PC's 2 September 27th 04 05:40 AM
Why 2200+ & 2800+ in both model 8 & model 10 Sempron? Michael Brown General 2 September 27th 04 05:40 AM
AMD SEMPRON CPU patrick Homebuilt PC's 0 July 29th 04 12:59 PM
AMD Sempron - New processor johny Overclocking AMD Processors 6 June 12th 04 05:02 PM