c1 errors and 'soft errors' question

Old May 10th 05, 12:24 AM
Phil

Default c1 errors and 'soft errors' question

in my nero cdspeed tool, an audio cd check reveals about 1500 c1 errors
and 0 c2 errors.

I downloaded and tried cd/dvd Diagnostic by infinidyne and its analysis
says there are 200,000 plus 'soft errors' and no hard errors.

How is this to be interpeted

--
Phil

Old May 10th 05, 01:35 AM
Dan G

Without knowing what drive you have and what exact tests you are doing, it's
impossible to say. No 2 drives report the exact same thing as far as CD
errors are concerned. Total C1 counts are meaningless, it's the graph itself
that matters. Average C1 counts and max values also help interpretation.

As to C1, there are no specs for these, and no upper limit has ever been
documented that interferes with reading a disc. C2 errors are bad, there
should not be any, but again fairly high C2 levels are often tolerated.
C1/C2 are speed-relative, the faster you scan the disc the higher the levels
will be.

Suggest you drop by http://club.cdfreaks.com/ and read up on error testing.

Old May 10th 05, 03:10 AM
Phil

I'm fairly familiar with everything you say but I would like to know the
correlation between these two diagnostic tools, wherein they are giving
large differences in their reports of the correctable errors of the same
disk.

Dan G posted in

Old May 10th 05, 04:25 PM
James Perrett

On Mon, 09 May 2005 23:24:18 GMT, Phil wrote:

in my nero cdspeed tool, an audio cd check reveals about 1500 c1 errors
and 0 c2 errors.

I downloaded and tried cd/dvd Diagnostic by infinidyne and its analysis
says there are 200,000 plus 'soft errors' and no hard errors.

How is this to be interpeted

The two programs must be looking at different things. 1500 C1 errors is
about what I'd expect from a normal length disc in good condition when
testing with Plextools. However, some people have compared Plextools' test
results with Eclipse or Clover stand alone testers and found that
Plextools reports fewer errors than the stand alone testers.

I'd also suggest trying the same comparison with a data disc rather than
an audio disc and let us know what happens.

Cheers.

James.
Old May 24th 05, 04:28 PM
Andy McFadden

Dan G wrote:
As to C1, there are no specs for these, and no upper limit has ever been
documented that interferes with reading a disc. C2 errors are bad, there
should not be any, but again fairly high C2 levels are often tolerated.
C1/C2 are speed-relative, the faster you scan the disc the higher the levels
will be.

The Red Book specifies a maximum BLER of 220 per second averaged over
10 seconds. BLER (BLock Error Rate) indicates the number of data blocks
with C1 errors.

In the FAQ, see:

Subject: [2-43-3] What's a frame? CIRC encoding? How does ECC work?

Sixth paragraph ("Errors are noted ...").

There was a nice article he

http://www.emedialive.com/EM2000/starrett5.html

But it's gone. You can still find it here, though the formatting was a
little weird for me in Firefox:

http://web.archive.org/web/200310031...starrett5.html

--
Send mail to (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/