Create a bootable ISO image file from a bootable CD/DVD?

Old January 3rd 14, 06:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

Default Create a bootable ISO image file from a bootable CD/DVD?

Practically every search result changes the expression to "How to
make a bootable CD". What I would like to do is make an ISO file
that, like the CD it comes from, is bootable. I was trying to burn a
non-bootable ISO file to a USB flash drive, but I suspect that
somehow extracting everything from the bootable rescue CD and making
a bootable ISO file would be easier. But so far that's like pulling
teeth, too.

I have followed several different directions for making a non-
bootable ISO file into a bootable ISO file, the instructions are
simple enough, but have failed.

I have the bootable CD right here. So I'd like to find something to
extract the whole bootable thing and to make a bootable ISO file out
of it.

Thanks.
Old January 3rd 14, 07:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul

On 1/3/2014 1:27 AM, John Doe wrote:
Practically every search result changes the expression to "How to
make a bootable CD". What I would like to do is make an ISO file
that, like the CD it comes from, is bootable. I was trying to burn a
non-bootable ISO file to a USB flash drive, but I suspect that
somehow extracting everything from the bootable rescue CD and making
a bootable ISO file would be easier. But so far that's like pulling
teeth, too.

I have followed several different directions for making a non-
bootable ISO file into a bootable ISO file, the instructions are
simple enough, but have failed.

I have the bootable CD right here. So I'd like to find something to
extract the whole bootable thing and to make a bootable ISO file out
of it.

Thanks.

If I knew how CDs worked, I'd be a millionaire :-)

I don't remember seeing any boot details in ISO9660 itself. That
forced me to go through the extensions list one by one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...660_extensions

El-Torito has some provision for booting.

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...specscdrom.pdf

But, that doesn't explain to me, when I open an ISO9660 file with 7ZIP,
what exactly the [Boot] folder does. And whether it has anything to do with
the previous structure or not.

I can find references to tools like this, but I have no idea whether
they line up with what you want to do or not.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...dded.5%29.aspx

Usually, it's the CD which is bootable, and the user wants to convert the
contents of the CD, so they will boot from a USB drive. Or, if small enough,
from say, a floppy diskette. There's quite a few of those tools. Some,
have a menu where you select the actual OS type of the origin CD (or ISO9660),
implying there are specific things that need to be fixed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/127377/the-...nux-usb-drive/

If you use imgburn, to say, convert a WinXP installer CD into an ISO9660
file, then immediately turn around and burn a blank from the ISO9660 file
just made, the new disc will be bootable. The .iso file seems to capture
what makes it boot. But just working with the file system portion (i.e.
use a tool which only extracts the files), might not be enough to get everything.
And perhaps the El-Torito spec will help explain that.

Paul

Old January 3rd 14, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...top/sb/specscd
rom.pdf

But, that doesn't explain to me, when I open an ISO9660 file
with 7ZIP, what exactly the [Boot] folder does. And whether it
has anything to do with the previous structure or not.

I can find references to tools like this, but I have no idea
whether they line up with what you want to do or not.

Specifically, I'm trying to put the Macrium Reflect boot disk on a
USB drive. Unless I fall asleep first, maybe I'll search for that
specific criteria before hitting the hay.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8v=WinEmbedded.
5%29.aspx

Usually, it's the CD which is bootable, and the user wants to
convert the contents of the CD, so they will boot from a USB
drive.

The CD is bootable. But I want the USB to be bootable. Even
Microsoft can make a utility that puts a bootable ISO image on a
USB. But the ISO image that Macrium produces is not bootable
(unless it's going to the CD).

Seems to me there would be a tool that copies the data/bits from a
bootable CD to make a bootable USB drive. I'm sure it would
require some formatting changes, but it would use the same
operating system and data.

Again, I've seen some stuff about making a non-bootable ISO
bootable, but it ain't working yet.

--

Or, if small enough, from say, a floppy diskette. There's
quite a few of those tools. Some, have a menu where you select
the actual OS type of the origin CD (or ISO9660), implying there
are specific things that need to be fixed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/127377/the-...-for-creating-
a-bootable-windows-or-linux-usb-drive/

Old January 3rd 14, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

One of the first search results was from SevenForums...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...eflect-create-
bootable-rescue-usb-drive.html

I'll check it out in the morning.
Old January 3rd 14, 09:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

The tutorial worked, even though the boot USB requires user input
before proceeding to the restore screens.

Apparently using a Flash Voyager (USB drive) might have been why
previous attempts failed. This time after it failed, a Patriot
Xporter was used and it worked. But using Yumi will be better since
it's freeware, it will be stowed in my system software folder.
Old January 3rd 14, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
BillW50

In ,
John Doe typed:
The tutorial worked, even though the boot USB requires user input
before proceeding to the restore screens.

Apparently using a Flash Voyager (USB drive) might have been why
previous attempts failed. This time after it failed, a Patriot
Xporter was used and it worked. But using Yumi will be better since
it's freeware, it will be stowed in my system software folder.

I'm still confused here in this thread John. You want to transfer a
bootable CD to a bootable USB flash drive? If so, what is the OS that is
bootable on the CD? Because the method is different depending on the OS.
For example, I have created bootable USB flash drives for the following
OS.

Puppy Linux
Ubuntu Linux
MS-DOS v7
BartPE (like a WinPE clone)
WinPE

--
Bill
Motion Computing LE1700 Tablet ('09 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2

Old January 3rd 14, 12:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
dadiOH[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message

Specifically, I'm trying to put the Macrium Reflect boot
disk on a USB drive. Unless I fall asleep first, maybe
I'll search for that specific criteria before hitting the
hay.

It is built into Macrium.

1. Start Macrium

2. Click "Other Tasks"

3. Select "Create Rescue Disk"

4. Follow the instructions and point it to where you want it to go.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Old January 3rd 14, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Desk Rabbit[_2_]

John Doe wrote:

[...]

The method appears to be craftily hidden away in plain sight on the
Macrium web site

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50025.aspx

Old January 3rd 14, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

The method is not "in plain sight".

I wasn't trying to create a bootable Windows PE USB stick. I was
trying to clone the other one, a Linux rescue CD. And as I've already
said, I found the solution. I was searching too broadly. I was also
using an incompatible USB flash drive.

Old January 4th 14, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

Looks like the closest thing I've found for cloning the Macrium
Reflect boot CD to a USB drive is (unetbootin-windows-585). But it
too includes a boot loader. Without knowing how to change the boot
loader settings before they are "burned" to the USB, yet, would be
better if the thing doesn't need user input before it gets to Macrium
Reflect's restore dialogue, just like the CD does.