About resetting a modem-router

Old September 16th 10, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jacko

Default About resetting a modem-router

I've read user manuals for several broadband router-modems but
none of them says whether the reset switch should be pressed when
the unit is powered on or when it's off. The manufacturers may
think this point is too obvious to mention, but it isn't so
obvious to me. Could anyone enlighten me please?

Old September 16th 10, 08:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Jacko wrote:
I've read user manuals for several broadband router-modems but
none of them says whether the reset switch should be pressed when
the unit is powered on or when it's off. The manufacturers may
think this point is too obvious to mention, but it isn't so
obvious to me. Could anyone enlighten me please?

When the unit is ON makes sense.

The "resetting" function is a subroutine in the firmware.

The subroutine clears out the parameter non-volatile area and
loads default values. It's a way of clearing things like that
starting IP address value you forgot, and allows you to reach
the web interface again.

Either the RESET signal is only polled, just as the power
comes on, or it takes the form of an interrupt signal, and
is always recognized. It'll be something along those lines.

Things that "reset when the power is off", involve
RAM devices where the reset button bleeds off the power
on them. I don't think a modem/router has any small
CR2032 batteries inside, so the reset function is not
likely to involve starving some RAM device of power.
And that makes it more likely, a subroutine in the
firmware carries out the reset function, when the
modem/router is powered or first powered on.

Paul

Old September 16th 10, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jacko

Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Paul. No, I don't think standard modem/routers have or
need a backup battery for volatile memory. What you said makes
sense.

Old September 16th 10, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 9/16/2010 3:20 PM, Jacko wrote:
Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

There does seem to be a difference, though, between hitting the reset
button while powered on, and holding while you power it on. I just had
to reset my Linksys WRT54G2, and holding it down while it was powered on
wouldn't do anything.

Old September 16th 10, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jacko

Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

Does the user manual say anything about _when_ the reset button
should be pressed?

Old September 16th 10, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure about the WRT54G2, but I have seen that spelled out in user
manuals before.

Old September 16th 10, 10:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jacko

Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

I got curious enough to download the user manual for the WRT54G2.
I didn't read through all the 44 pages, but I didn't see any
mention of the reset switch with a quick browse.

Old September 17th 10, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

It's on page 5, but it doesn't say that you have to press the power
button down while powering it up. Go figure.
Old September 17th 10, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jacko

Paul wrote:
Jacko wrote:
[...]

It's on page 5,

Oh yeah, I missed that.

but it doesn't say that you have to press the power
button down while powering it up. Go figure.

That's the way it is on the other manuals I read. None of them
says WHEN the button should be pressed.

Old September 19th 10, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
edfair[_63_]

I'm going out on a limb for someone to saw it off but suspect that the
reset button will only reboot the router after the boot program has
initialized the hardware and set up interrupts.

WTB: ADSL Modem Router Switch + Cable Router Swtich + USB Print Server Palindr☻me UK Computer Vendors 6 April 17th 06 09:30 PM
Netgear router is CONTANTly needing resetting, any suggestions? Bonnie Peebles Homebuilt PC's 1 October 26th 05 02:03 AM
Router-modem for ADSL Zotin Khuma General 1 February 13th 05 04:01 AM
Help with modem/router Alan General 3 September 22nd 04 10:15 AM
Resetting an external ADSL modem Cyde Weys General 8 February 6th 04 06:58 PM