How to monitor night sleep ? (Recording audio at night/during sleep)

Old September 13th 19, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default How to monitor night sleep ? (Recording audio at night/during sleep)

Hello,

(I have wanted something like this for a long time... not really alien related lol... don't freak out ! =D though it may be handy for that too ! LOL)

(I ask this question in PC group... cause maybe somebody already has experience with this... done it and processed/analyzed it on his PC, I am all ears... please do share if any experience with this !)

Serious question:

Let's suppose strange things are happening at night, for example:

1. Neighbours making noises, talking, bumping doors.

2. Animals outside.

3. Planes flying overhead.

4. Toilets being flushed.

Just weird stuff or just stuff that might be influencing your sleep.

You kinda want to get to the bottom of it, to tell if it's real... to tell if it's truely there... to tell how violent or intrusivive it is.... to tell the severity... and perhaps even to convince others.

Mostly what you would want is an "audio-recording" device that can:

Monitor/record audio at least for 10 to 12 to 14 hours straight.

That stores it on some digital media.

That can be processed with tools... preferably goldwave editor... thought it seems limited.

The mic/microphone should be able to record any kind of sound... low bass, medium frequencies, high frequencies and from any direction if possible.

What kind of device would you recommend ?!

If such device does not exist... well then perhaps design one...

Offer it for sail as:

"Night tracker" or something or

"Sleep monitor" or

"Sleep tracker" or

"Night audio surveillance" or

"Sleep overwatcher" or

Something creative you can come up with.

"Night protector"

Perhaps it will sell.

An SD as story device or perhaps an USB drive as storage device would be preferred be me for easy transfer to PC for analysis and perhaps even transport to others.

Let me known your recommendations !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 13th 19, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:50:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

If such device does not exist... well then perhaps design one...

MIT and a sensory isolation tank with electromyographic
electroencephalography sensors. Doubt a prisoner volunteer issue is
called for. Microsoft also has one, an isolation "chamber", in its
research dept.
Old September 13th 19, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Well, you need a microphone, bare minimum.

You can record sound with Audacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)

https://www.audacityteam.org/

There are lots of junk microphones out there, and you're
not likely to get a good one on the first try.

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dia...nsitivity.html

And they charge absurd amounts of money for them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Profess.../dp/B01N7FPKPJ

If you need to operate many microphones, you can use a USB audio
device for Mic-In for each one.

If you want to do acoustic array experiments, you'll need a
digitizer with predictable (low) latency per channel. So
the phase information is not disturbed by the digitizer.
Your array will likely still need calibration.

A speaker can be used as a moving coil microphone, if
you have no other materials in the room to work with.
You'll need a preamp to get enough gain to hear anything.

Paul
Old September 16th 19, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

If you have a webcam that has a built-in microphone,
that might be suitable for audacity audio program as an input.

*******

Here is a student project using a microphone array.

With beamforming, they can give a rough idea of the
direction the noise is coming from. They really went
overboard on sensors - they used 8x8 microphones :-)
This is a thesis for a masters degree.

https://curve.carleton.ca/system/fil...phonearray.pdf

Handling a large number of channels like that would
not exactly be easy (as a hobby project).

And I noticed that some cheap electret microphones,
have significant rolloff in frequency. One I was looking
at, starts to lose sensitivity at 1KHz. Another at
around 5KHz. But on the other hand, they can be dirt
cheap ($2 to $4 each or so). Connecting them to the
computer is the expensive part (when there are 64 of
them and you want control of phase).

Paul
Old Today, 04:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Paul wrote:

Here is a student project using a microphone array...

I found a commercial one. Probably too expensive,
but the idea behind it is pretty cool.

https://www.zylia.co/zylia-zm-1-microphone.html

It's a device with 19 microphones. You can leave
it running for a while.

In post-analysis, you can use "beam forming" to "point"
the virtual microphone in a particular direction. This
allows (in a music studio) extracting sound tracks.
So if the singer is in one corner of the room and
the guitar player in another corner of the room, you
can "extract" a recording, as if the microphone was
right next to them. One sound track for the singer
(with no guitar sounds). One sound track with guitar
recordings (but no singer).

In a surveillance situation, it allows you to determine
the "vector" of the sound - where the sound came from.
As well as the sound content.

Paul

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
WakeONLAN did not work for direct cable connection ? (Nics were shutdown after a night of sleep ?) Skybuck Flying Asus Motherboards 11 February 16th 08 05:25 AM
Monitor in sleep mode JayJay General 4 November 25th 07 07:56 AM
Monitor Acer F20 does not wake up from sleep cab General Hardware 2 October 21st 07 06:06 AM
Monitor Sleep Mode J General 0 May 24th 05 02:47 AM
Monitor won't sleep WoofWoof Nvidia Videocards 4 February 10th 05 03:39 PM