Memory for the P4P800 Deluxe

Old November 16th 03, 05:13 PM
Linux Lover

Default Memory for the P4P800 Deluxe

Before placing my order for a P4P800 Deluxe based system (P4 2.6CGHz
800MHz FSB) from Newegg, I would like to find out what my best options
are in terms of memory.

My intention is to initially "play it safe", not overclocking
anything. Just use the system strictly at labeled/specified by the
manufacturers. I would like to minimize chances for time-consuming
issues, but I would also like to avoid these top-of-the-line
components that come with a painful price tag (ouch!).

So, I looked at the ASUS QVL for the P4P800 Deluxe and minimized the
list to only:
1) 512MB modules (I need 2GB RAM in my system)
2) Modules that "support 4 modules inserted into both the blue and
black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory".

My first qusetion is: is limiting myself to memory that supports _two_
pairs of Dual-channel really worth it. Notice the empahsis here could
be misleading: I definitely want two pairs, but is the requirement for
having both pairs dual-channel really worth it? In other words, how
much performance (percentage-wise) does this dual-channel feature buy
me?

Provided the answer for the above qusetion is positive, here is the
reduced list I came up with:

Apacer 77.10736.464
Brain Power B6U808-512M-SAM-400
CENTURY DXV2S8SSCCD3K27C
Hynix HYMD264646B8J-D43 AA
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512
Kingston KVR400X72C3A/512
MICRON MT16VDDT6464AG-40BC4
PSC AL6D8A53TK1-5B
SAMSUNG M368L6423ETM-CCC
Transcend TS64MLD64V4F3
Winbond W9451GCDB-5

On the other hand, I found this very inexpensive memory on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=20-150-564

Which seems like it should be working with the P4P800, but is not on
the QVL list. Also, I don't know whether I can get 2GB of it working
in dual-channel.

Any recommendations/comments regarding the above options? I am very
interested to hear real-life experiences, especially regarding the
possibility to overclock later, when I have some time "to experiment"
(overclocking is something I have never done before).

TIA,
Lynn
Old November 16th 03, 08:44 PM
Tator Totor

hi Linux Lover,

My intention is to initially "play it safe", not overclocking
anything. Just use the system strictly at labeled/specified by the
manufacturers. I would like to minimize chances for time-consuming
issues, but I would also like to avoid these top-of-the-line
components that come with a painful price tag (ouch!).

I'll have got two home-pc with P4P800 Deluxe mobo based... one runs (true)
Samsung 256x2 PC3200 and the other one runs Crutial 256x2 PC3200, everything
works fine and honestly, I don't see any difference in real life...
everything seems to me all right ... with benchmark you might see some
differences but everyone knows benchmarks doesn't reflect ordinary use of
pc's...

Regards,
michel cr

Old November 16th 03, 08:55 PM
Z Man

Finally got my system running after some aggravation...

I have a P4/1.6A (hopefully temporary, left over from another upgrade)
3GB PC2100 (3x1G), one additional G to be installed tomorrow
200MB WD hard drive, 8MB cache
NVidia Gforce4 MX 440 display adapter

I would like to install a SCSI card, specifically the LSI Logic 160. I used
it in my previous system, to service a 15k SCSI hard drive. Is anyone using
a SCSI card in a P4C800-E Deluxe system? If so, what slot is recommended?
Right now, I have no cards, since just about everything else is onboard.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old November 17th 03, 12:14 AM
JFH

I use an Adaptec 2940 in my P4C800-E. I have it in the 2nd slot from
the bottom for no specific reason. It controls an internal CDand an
external CDR without problems.

Old November 17th 03, 05:02 AM
Linux Lover

"Tator Totor" wrote in message ...

I'll have got two home-pc with P4P800 Deluxe mobo based... one runs (true)
Samsung 256x2 PC3200 and the other one runs Crutial 256x2 PC3200, everything
works fine and honestly, I don't see any difference in real life...
everything seems to me all right ... with benchmark you might see some
differences but everyone knows benchmarks doesn't reflect ordinary use of
pc's...

Thank you, michel. You answered one question, regarding real life
differences between different brands. The other concern I have is that
if I don't follow _strictly_ ASUS QVL, I may luck out but I also may
run into problems similar to the ones described he

http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=20-150-564

What do you think? Should I play it safe and stick strictly to the
QVL?
Old November 17th 03, 05:57 AM
Roy Coorne

Linux Lover wrote:

What do you think? Should I play it safe and stick strictly to the
QVL?

1. Memory listed on the QVL has been tested by Asus - there is other
good RAM not listed. But: If you have trouble with your mainboard and
use RAM listed on the QVL, you are on the safe side in your discussion
with the board vendor or Asus, resp.
(I _had_ trouble with my P4P800_D - 1st rev - it died suddenly...)

2. I use 2x512MB TwinMOS PC3200 with Winbond chips CL2.5 (where the
chips are listed), but have good experience with Infineon, too.

3. I have no doubt that RAM modules listed for the resp. mainboard on
the web sites of Crucial or Mushkin are of excellent quality and
harmonize with the board, too.

Roy

Old November 17th 03, 09:04 AM
Tator Totor

hi- Linux Lover,

... The other concern I have is that if I don't follow _strictly_ ASUS

QVL,

I'll agree with Roy's comments... BTW I think Crutial-Micron and Samsung RAM
modules are on the List published by ASUS. OTOH, one could be as confident
with RAM warrenty as we are with mobo's, on both case it depends on
manufacturers reputation.

AFAIAC I wouldn't buy OEM RAM (maybe excepted the one from Samsung) nor
would I buy expensive OCZ, Corsair modules which cost 3 time the price from
a well known RAM manufacturer such as Dane Elec (10 years warranty).

--
cordialement,
michel cr

Old November 17th 03, 11:07 AM
Phil Hodgins

I use a Adaptec 2960 U160 controller in Slot 2 to run 3 Atlas 10K U160
drives and 1 Ultra Wide drive without any problems. I only have an IDE
DVD-RW connected to the board.

et...

Old November 17th 03, 03:30 PM
Roy Coorne

Tator Totor wrote:
a well known RAM manufacturer such as Dane Elec (10 years warranty).

10 years from now - if the company still exists at that time SCNR

Roy