7N400-L's Fault?

Old December 19th 04, 05:09 PM
Ryan J. Paque

Default 7N400-L's Fault?

Okay, I'm trying to figure out why I can't run Prime95 for more than
60 seconds, and why 3D apps crash to the desktop or hang the system when
I try to run anything greater than 1024x768x16.

Here's my system:

AMD Barton 3200+
Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
1GB PC3200 RAM (Mushkin, VData, currently set at 8:3:3:2.5)
PowerMax 500W PSU (3.3v = 30A, 5v = 50A, 12v = 25A) *Brand New*
1x WD 180GB HD, 1x Maxtor 160GB HD
1x generic 52x CD-RW, 1x Acer DVD-R
XFX Geforce 6600GT (AGP) (NOT overclocked yet) *Brand New*
Sounblaster PCI 512
Windows 2000

This same problem happened under my 4200ti.

Here's what I've done so far:

* Ran memtest all night... no errors.
* For the heck of it, tried each stick of RAM in different
slots, individually, and at the same time.
* Have tried shutting down ALL extra software, including Zone
Alarm and Nod32 (virus checker).
* Have tried UNDERclocking the board.
* Removed both my sound card and my modem, thinking perhaps it
was an IRQ issue.

Now, for the heck of it, I dropped the FSB to 100MHz, and Prime95 ran
for 5 minutes before I aborted it... but I 3D apps still crashed to the
desktop (but stopped locking the system)... And I don't want to run my
2.2GHz processor at 1.1GHz anyway...

According to SpeedFan and EasyTune5, CPU temp is at about 65C when the
system crashes to the desktop. I idle at about 50C... I've run with the
case off for a while, and the heat sink is luke-warm to the touch, so I
don't THINK the temps are wrong)

I've used several different drivers for the card, and the problem
happened under a all of them, and even with a different card...

SO, I'm left thinking there is something wacky with the either the CPU
or the board itself.

Any ideas?

Ryan
Old December 22nd 04, 11:02 PM