problem with NF7 V2.0 : CPU overheating alarm shutdown

Old October 27th 03, 08:31 PM
xxxxxx

Default problem with NF7 V2.0 : CPU overheating alarm shutdown

Hi everyone

I have :
NF7 V2.0 mainboard with bios NF7d18
AMD Athlon 2600+
Sapphire Radeon 9200-SE

I set the high limit alarm for the CPU at 75°C in the bios
I invariably get a shutdown when my CPU reaches 57°C sharp. I monitor the temperature from Windows XP with Hardware Doctor Ver 2.70.
Strange thing is, when I am in the bios, the CPU temp keeps getting higher and higher (I stoped at 62°...), whereas in Windows it stablizes around 45°
when idle.
When not idle the temp rises rapidly and then the PC shuts down with the mainboard alarm...

Any idea ?
Matt
Old October 28th 03, 12:25 PM
Skid

"xxxxxx" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have :
NF7 V2.0 mainboard with bios NF7d18
AMD Athlon 2600+
Sapphire Radeon 9200-SE

I set the high limit alarm for the CPU at 75°C in the bios
I invariably get a shutdown when my CPU reaches 57°C sharp. I monitor the

temperature from Windows XP with Hardware Doctor Ver 2.70.
Strange thing is, when I am in the bios, the CPU temp keeps getting higher

and higher (I stoped at 62°...), whereas in Windows it stablizes around 45°
when idle.
When not idle the temp rises rapidly and then the PC shuts down with the

mainboard alarm...

Does your bios have a temp shutdown setting separate from the alarm? If so,
you can raise it to 75 or disable it.

Windows has some built-in software cooling at idel, so the fact that your
bios temps keep rising suggests that you do have a hardware cooling problem.

My suggestion would be to remove the cpu cooler, scrape off all the gunk
with a plastic knife to avoid scratching, then remove the residue with nail
polish remover and/or rubbing alcohol.

Get some thermal compound from Radio Sahck for a couple of bucks, or splurge
on Artic Silver III or Ceramique. Spread it paper-thin with a credit card,
and then reinstall everything carefully without twisting or rocking.

Make sure the cpu voltage is where it should be and the fan is spinning at
more or less the right speed.

Old October 28th 03, 07:54 PM
xxxxxx

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:25:58 GMT, "Skid" wrote:

"xxxxxx" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the tips
Indeed, my bios has a temp shutdown separate from the alarm. And the temp shutdown has always been disabled...
I followed a friend's suggestion a changed my CPU cooler, the problem remains. But even stranger, when I open Hardware Doctor from Win XP the new
cooler just stops ! Simply stops...
I disabled one by one the intergradted peripherals (usb, lan...) no effect, but for the audio controller... Since I disabled it, cpu temp in the bios
seems to be more stable. I am not sure it is relevant though.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:48 PM
Huey

DPN wrote:

Hi

NF7 V2.0 mainboard with bios 18
AMD Athlon 2800+
Radeo 9600 Pro

and i've got the same problem. Under XP, the PC shuts down à 57°c, with or
without Hardware Doctor.

David

Hi everyone,
As you get the similar problem than the original poster (whose PC I
mounted, btw, so I get a little involved in this issue), I thought you
might post more details about your config.
I doesn't seem to be a RAM issue (it has been tested).
For instance: have you replaced the northbridge fan by a dissipator (is
that an english word ?), like my friend did ?

I thought, actually, that it could be a northbridge issue.

For the record, the PC of the original poster simply stopped allowing
boot (nothing on screen, sometimes the keyboard leds were blinking kind
of christmas-like, but most of the time : nothing).
We are going to try and change it and will let you know about it.

Anyway, David, if you ever found an explanation, we'd be glad to hear
about it.

Thanks for reading.

Huey

Old November 7th 03, 01:20 PM
DPN

David PHILIPPON Service systèmes d'information Administrateur réseaux Tel :
+33 (0)4.91.23.09.78 Fax : +33 (0)4.91.23.03.79 2, boulevard Luce 13008
Marseille
"Huey" a écrit dans le message de news:

DPN wrote:

[...]

Hi,

ok, my config is:

NF7 V2.0 mainboard with bios 18
AMD Athlon 2800+
2 x 256 Mo PC 3200 Samsumg
Video Radeon 9600 Pro 256 Mo with Catalyst 3.8 Drivers
WinXP + SP1a
no overclocking

I don't know why the PC shuts down at 57°c but i 'ves solved the problem by
maintening the CPU temp under this limit.
As suggested by Skid, i've removed original thermal paste and spreaded new
Artic Silver paste.
Now, in low activity, temp is under 40°c and in max activity likes games,
CPU temp doesn't exceed 53°c. I've made LAN party during all a night last
week end without shutdown.

About CPU temp, what is the max temp of the XP2800 ?

David

Old November 12th 03, 03:18 PM
Michael Orth

Hi , I have the same problems like you and the other guys who has written!
I think it is not the temperature of 57 C ! I have changed the vcore to
manuell 1,5 V and 1,475V and the board is stable now! The Idle Temp. is now
40 - 44 C and under pressure i have an temp from 52 - 57 C !
I have read in an forum, that the board doesn´t like to high Vcore! If the
vcore springs and get to high, the PC shut down and comes back with a
sirene!
After 3 days of tests i can say, now my board is stable!
Bios NF7d19
2500 Barton +
1024mb Ram 400er
Promise Controller
3 Harddisks 80 GB 7200
Radeon 9800 pro
Hope to help you
cya
Michael

Old November 12th 03, 08:17 PM
Huey

Michael Orth wrote:
Hi , I have the same problems like you and the other guys who has written!
I think it is not the temperature of 57 C ! I have changed the vcore to
manuell 1,5 V and 1,475V and the board is stable now! The Idle Temp. is now
40 - 44 C and under pressure i have an temp from 52 - 57 C !
I have read in an forum, that the board doesn´t like to high Vcore! If the
vcore springs and get to high, the PC shut down and comes back with a
sirene!
After 3 days of tests i can say, now my board is stable!

Thanks for sharing this, Michael.
I have to report your experience to my friend (he's going to try again
tomorrow).
As I don't own a NF7, and as I have to tell him exactly what to do,
could you tell me where exactly in the bios is this setting (I know this
is a silly thing to ask, but anyway).
So what you did is just turn this parameter (Vcore voltage is the CPU
voltage, right?) to "manual" and then entered the value 1.475 instead of
1.5V.

If it works I will let you know. Thanks very much again.

Huey

shut down problem kjservices General 3 December 9th 04 08:45 AM
Windows XP SP2 Shut down problem John Johnson Homebuilt PC's 9 November 11th 04 05:33 AM
help with possible video card problem diagnostic mark497 Homebuilt PC's 1 September 16th 04 09:59 AM
AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM