Who makes this heatsink?

Old May 17th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Who makes this heatsink?

I'm looking to try a heat pipe and was wondering if anyone knows who makes
this one located he
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/shuttle/
They don't say who makes it in the article.

My 775 dual Pentium is running around 50°C at idle with the stock sink and
fan. I think that's a bit warm to be messin' with any type of overclocking.
So before I even start, I want to get something on it that will pull out
some more heat.

The way that heat pipe is made will work well in my case. It would put the
extended cooling fins right in front of a case fan--which looks to be the
idea behind it's design. Just wondering who makes it.

Thanks all.

T.O.

Old May 17th 06, 02:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"T.O." wrote in message
I'm looking to try a heat pipe and was wondering if anyone knows who makes
this one located he
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/shuttle/
They don't say who makes it in the article.

My 775 dual Pentium is running around 50°C at idle with the stock sink and
fan. I think that's a bit warm to be messin' with any type of
overclocking. So before I even start, I want to get something on it that
will pull out some more heat.

The way that heat pipe is made will work well in my case. It would put the
extended cooling fins right in front of a case fan--which looks to be the
idea behind it's design. Just wondering who makes it.

Thanks all.

T.O.

It appears to be a model supplied with some of the Shuttle Mini-ATX
barebones kits, and not listed as a separate retail product.
You can ask Shuttle about it he

http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/Support2.htm

FWIW, they seem to have several similar models that come with different
kits.

Old May 17th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Akasa make one very similar, however from what I've read it's not got
very good performance (maybe because it uses their Amber 1300rpm silent
fan) I think the original idea was for the fins to point towards the
back of the case and expel air through the rear fan mounting.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=245753

Silverstone also make one
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=298766
I have no information on the performance of this particular HSF but I
can tell you that silverstone make very efficient (but noisy) coolers.

Of course the new 775 P4's generate quite a bit of heat and the BEST
cooler out there for these particular CPU's is the artic freezer 7.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=340995

On my highly overclocked AMD Opteron I use a Thermalright SI120 which
sometimes doesn't even need a fan!! BUT IT DOES NOT support S775
without an adapter!! and does NOT come with a fan. so probably not for
you... unless you're can find somewhere that sells both.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...right_120.html

Also... be aware that all of these HSF's are physically HUGE - when I
first starting buying these custom coolers I was taken back by their
sheer size.

Old May 17th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Thanks, I'll dig through some of the links that you provided.

I had hoped that the one in the photo I provided might sit close enough to
the back case fan that I could easily duct it to the fan and get away
without a fan mounted on the sink.
I may try the same thing with Thermaright's Ultra 90. It has standard Intel
mounts and right now I don't want (nor have the time) to pull the mobo back
out of the case again to install the backing plate that a lot of these
monsters require.

Since you've been doing this--I've got another question for you if you have
a minute.

I've been reading that the weight of these may subject the mobo to enough
stress--possibly causing hairline cracks in the circuit runs. Since the
board is mounted vertically in the case and this thing is twisting down on
it, how critical is this?

I take my computer with me when I teach photo classes. Can I not just rig
some sort of mount or support bracket that keeps the heatsink from moving to
help reduce any stress when the computer is moved?

Thanks

T.O.

ups.com...

Old May 17th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

T.O. wrote:
I'm looking to try a heat pipe and was wondering if anyone knows who makes
this one located he
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/shuttle/
They don't say who makes it in the article.

My 775 dual Pentium is running around 50°C at idle with the stock sink and
fan. I think that's a bit warm to be messin' with any type of overclocking.
So before I even start, I want to get something on it that will pull out
some more heat.

The way that heat pipe is made will work well in my case. It would put the
extended cooling fins right in front of a case fan--which looks to be the
idea behind it's design. Just wondering who makes it.

Thanks all.

T.O.

I have this heatsink on a Pentium D Smithfield 805. I like the tilt
that I have pointing to pass additional air over voltage regulator
components along with directing towards rear or case into intake of
120mm exhaust fan.

Stock speed 2.66 Ghz it runs 31C(CPU)/31C(board) at 70 room ambient

OC to 3.3 Ghz it runs 33C(CPU)/33C(board) at 70 room ambient

Prime95, one(1) instance per CPU core, 43C(CPU)/34(board) at 70 room
ambient and ran for 28 hours 0 errors, zero warnings. I halted this
after a full 24 hour run to see the report.

Motherboard is Asus P5ND2-SLI (non-Deluxe).

hth,

PB
Old May 18th 06, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

If the HSF weighs a lot and it is not securely fastened then yes can
cause damage to the motherboard. However, I find that fitting the some
of these damn things causes more damage than any other time - As you
are probably aware from fitting the intel stock HSF!! did you hear
crackling when pushing it in and trying to fasten all four corners?
The back plate is what stops the mobo's from cracking so if you are
provided one then fit it!
The XP90 is quite heavy (although a good performer), the SI120 is as
light as a feather.

The Scythe HSF that PB posted about may be more suited to you as it
doesn't seem to need a back plate? however my experience so far has
required access to the rear of the MoBo for nearly all HSFs to
correctly and safely secure the HSF.

Old May 18th 06, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Frobinrobin wrote:
If the HSF weighs a lot and it is not securely fastened then yes can
cause damage to the motherboard. However, I find that fitting the some
of these damn things causes more damage than any other time - As you
are probably aware from fitting the intel stock HSF!! did you hear
crackling when pushing it in and trying to fasten all four corners?
The back plate is what stops the mobo's from cracking so if you are
provided one then fit it!
The XP90 is quite heavy (although a good performer), the SI120 is as
light as a feather.

The Scythe HSF that PB posted about may be more suited to you as it
doesn't seem to need a back plate? however my experience so far has
required access to the rear of the MoBo for nearly all HSFs to
correctly and safely secure the HSF.

I agree about being *certain* the heatsink is firmly attached. The
fancy push pin with the twist-to-release feature may work, but it is
best to know without any doubt the pins are fully engaged. The Scythe
does not require the backplate.

PB

Changing out stock heatsink on mobo for heatsink with fan John Barrington Asus Motherboards 0 October 11th 04 04:44 PM
Artic Silver 5 vs Artic Ceramique Nil Einne Overclocking 50 January 7th 04 04:39 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin Overclocking AMD Processors 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Dell Computers 34 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM